« First Ever Rock Band Tour Come... | Schadenfreude »

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Activity on the Outskirts of Town

posted by on July 30 at 12:53 PM

ScrewNatalie1.JPGNorth of Seattle, Aurora Avenue becomes the outskirts of town. Things go down, actions and transactions in the shadows of the alleyways. People twitch and jerk. Attempts are made to be unassuming. Cracks in pavement have vigilant eyes. They’re like scratches and flies on the wall. They see all: the laptop serial numbers being sanded off in the backrooms of pawn shops, the casino pit bosses pocketing chips, and the Cops being served pre lap-dance Vanilla Cokes.

Some things in the outskirts don’t get talked about. Like when a neighbor’s weed-ridden son nails a screw through a Natalie Merchant CD to a tree in your backyard.

ScrewNatalie2.JPG

There had a been a conversation at a barbeque. The neighbor’s son (a Nine Inch Nails fan) was told his taste in music was horrible. Unfortunately, Natalie’s 10,000 Maniacs band was on the stereo at the time of the dis. The next morning, there’s Natalie, nailed to a tree. Disturbing? Yes. Misguided? Very possibly. Funny? Perhaps.

A shunned Nine Inch Nails fan nails a screw through the forehead of an adult contemporary singer. To a tree.

So goes another iffy day in the life on the outskirts of town.

Gotcha!!!

It was me ::D

Posted by WOLF BLITZER: SPECIAL REPORT | July 30, 2008 1:22 PM

Funnier if he used an actual 9" nail.

Posted by Brian | July 30, 2008 2:01 PM

No Wolf, it was me. I did it. I should have gotten 2 Merchant discs. Do you have a tree for me?

Posted by Miss Beacon Plumbing | July 30, 2008 2:11 PM

Bet mudede wants to hit that whiskey now, huh? Maybe it's best to keep him away from the windows for the rest of the day, okay guys?

Posted by Super Jesse | July 30, 2008 2:56 PM

Love the flow, Trent. Pictures and words. It is iffy out there isn't it. Love the shot of the screw.

Posted by DD | July 30, 2008 2:57 PM

I was going to say the same thing -

LOOK OUT, Charles. They're coming in from Aurora for you. Yes, stay away from the windows.

I myself will be cranking "These Are the Days to Remember" all up and down all day long. If the kid tries to screw me, I'll shoot him with my sling shot.

Posted by DD | July 30, 2008 3:01 PM

or whatever that 10,000 Maniacs song is called.

Posted by DD | July 30, 2008 3:02 PM

Maybe the person who did this screwed Natalie Merchant or most likely wants to.
I think a private investigator should be hired by the Stranger to Nail this guy or girl.

Posted by joe | July 30, 2008 3:46 PM

who tells their neighbor's kid he has terrible taste in music? the same person who makes fun of the autistic kid in jr. high while getting stoned?

Posted by wawaweewa | July 30, 2008 4:55 PM

NIN kid wins, btw

Posted by for what it's worthwaweewa | July 30, 2008 4:59 PM

eat for two

Posted by lar | July 30, 2008 5:06 PM

How could a Natalie Merchant CD nailed to a tree *not* be funny?

Posted by Explorer | July 30, 2008 5:21 PM

I agree, the kid wins.

Posted by Glass | July 30, 2008 5:30 PM

Also, be glad he's not a big Knife fan.

Posted by Glass | July 30, 2008 5:33 PM

These are the days. They are definitely the days. This warms my heart. Less is more. But this, this is much much more.

Posted by ZZBottom | July 30, 2008 6:02 PM

oops. i dated a guy that played on this album.

Posted by boobee | July 31, 2008 4:53 PM