« Saturday's Sub Pop Fest is Sol... | Work Stereo »

Monday, July 7, 2008

Heavy Metal Hamburger

posted by on July 7 at 17:39 PM

l_973640286ebb567481794879419fe948.jpg

Many Seattleites sing the praises of Palace Kitchenís hamburger. Iím willing to concede that it may very well be the best burger in Seattle (or at least in the top 3), but Tom Douglasís restaurant doesnít blast Pantera while you chow down on the American classic. I guess Palace doesnít really cater to my demographic. I have to go all the way to the Midwest to savor an exquisite burger under prime conditions.

Situated in Chicagoís Avondale neighborhood, Kumaís Corner is my kind of eatery. Heavy metal blares throughout the restaurant at all times. The beer selection is snobby in the best possible way (PBR is the only domestic brew available). And the burgers are truly delicious. Of the 22 burgers on the menu, 20 are named after metal bands. Highlights include the Slayer, featuring a pile of fries topped with a half-pound burger, chili, cherry peppers, andouille, onions, jack cheese, and ďAnger.Ē The Clutch burger features four kinds of cheese. The Goblin Cock comes with a quarter-pound hot dog on top. They also offer a pulled-pork sandwich (the Pig Destroyer) and a buffalo chicken sandwich (the Hate Beak). Iíve sampled five menu items and was blown away by all of them.

Iím crossing my fingers for a Seattle franchise.

Eating meat hastens the death of Earth (the planet, not the band).

Posted by pete maravich's socks | July 7, 2008 8:01 PM

nothing more metal than self-destruction, tho all burgers can be made vegetarian too.

Posted by brian cook | July 7, 2008 8:54 PM

I've heard about this place from everyone I know that's been to Chicago. When I finally make it to that fine city, this will be the first place I go.

Posted by bunnypuncher | July 8, 2008 12:58 AM

At the behest of many colleagues I tried the Palace Kitchen burger twice. Both times it was charred w/ a heavy flavor of carbon. Is it supposed to taste like that?

Posted by meerkat | July 8, 2008 8:56 AM

Surprised that "Dimmu Burger" wasn't a selection on the menu.

Posted by theniceasshole | July 8, 2008 11:38 AM

Surprised that "Dimmu Burger" wasn't a selection on the menu.

Posted by theniceasshole | July 8, 2008 11:40 AM

They need to play some Cattle Decapitation.

Posted by laterite | July 9, 2008 4:22 PM