« A Grand Ole Party Indeed | WORN OUT: Block Party »

Sunday, July 27, 2008

More Block Party thoughts

posted by on July 27 at 16:50 PM

2705503517_8419bf880a.jpg
Photo by Andrew G Davis.

Musically, Saturday was a big improvement over Friday for me. I saw more bands, and the bands I saw were better. No one’s mentioned it yet, so I’ll go ahead and say the Cave Singers played a beautiful, spare set. Frontman Pete Quirk was feeling it, too: Near the end, he said to the crowd, “I feel like I could tell you guys anything.” Awww.

Fleet Foxes made it to the next level of consciousness, and Grand Ole Party rocked despite headset mic problems— yeah, that’s the band in which the frontwoman drums and sings simultaneously. They were also the most symmetrical band I’ve ever seen— drummer/singer front and center, two guys (who looked they could be brothers) in blue shirts on either side, playing matching guitar and bass. If only the guitarist had been left handed…

Finally, and not to rant, but if there’s two 21+ stages next year, I think CHBP should consider selling discounted tickets to the underagers. It’s not that you see less music, but you have half the choices while paying the full price. Unfair.

I'm all for selling discounted under 21 tickets as long as they make more concessions for the traffic flow of the 21+ crowd. Trying to get to Neumo's from the two main beer garden entrances was RIDICULOUS.

Posted by Andrew | July 27, 2008 4:58 PM

Wait wait, you mean you're under 21 and you couldn't get into Neumo's? I was 20 last year and had no problem seeing Girl Talk. Here's a hint: THOSE WRISTBANDS SLIDE RIGHT FUCKING OFF. Or, if you're fat and/or your hand isn't flexible, just find some tape.

Posted by Nick | July 27, 2008 5:10 PM

Cave Singers were definitely a highlight. And I wholeheartedly agree that Saturday was much better. And Fleet Foxes were nice. And I agree, I would like a discount for not being able to see about half of the great bands that are playing.

Posted by Morgan | July 27, 2008 5:50 PM

i know, my brother (19) couldn't watch truckasauras or past lives. sukt 4 him.

it's advertised in advance, so kids know the deal if they are readers. still. cheaper tix would be gracious.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | July 27, 2008 10:45 PM

ndrwmtsn: Last year, the Neumo's stage was declared to be 21+ about a week before the actual event. This seems to happen occasionally with the venue (These Arms have announced free shows there before, advertising all-ages, only to find out it's 21+ the day of the event) but I was still pretty pissed.

Posted by Nick | July 28, 2008 9:32 AM

it is common knowledge that neumos is 21+ for BP. yeah it sucks being underage and not being able to see it all, but that is what we have to deal with for the time being.

Posted by pk | July 28, 2008 3:21 PM