« The Loved Ones | Re: I Dance To Metal »

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Re: The Loved Ones

posted by on July 27 at 15:51 PM

Sorry Megan, but I gotta disagree with you. The Loved Ones were the black sheep of the Block Party this year, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but unfortunately they were also the worst band I saw all weekend. I’d never heard their stuff before randomly deciding to check out the King Cobra stage. Walking through the door I was convinced that the band on stage was covering “My Own Worst Enemy” by Lit. Perhaps my work environment has ruined any semblance of respect I used to have for pop punk, but these dudes were hands down the most generic band of the festival. I lasted two songs then split, knowing that it was pretty much guaranteed three better bands were playing outside. Waiting in line for a drink across the street I could still hear the band; this time I was sure they were covering “All the Small Things” by Blink 182.

I cannot disagree with the fact that everyone inside King Cobra seemed to be enjoying themselves, though.

My thoughts during the show went something like, "I wonder how many of my friends will continue speaking to me if I tell them how much fun I had a pop punk show?"

Posted by Brittney | July 27, 2008 4:50 PM

I saw that band for the first time yesterday, too. Lit and blink-182? Why do you even write for a music blog?

Posted by Nick | July 27, 2008 5:11 PM

Jeff Kirby writes for a music blog because he's smart and funny and has really good taste in music. And The Loved Ones were very good at what they do, which is something really fucking annoying by now (and always was, in my opinion).

Posted by Chris Estey | July 28, 2008 7:32 AM

yeah 3, "Great Taste"? pfft. thats why he was all over The Swords poseur asses and dissed Slough Feg.

Posted by i dont remember them from MTV | July 28, 2008 11:16 AM

Just for the record, The Loved Ones drove all night to get to Seattle after their van broke down outside the twin cities. All so they could play for 30 mins on equipment they had borrowed from tourmates The Hold Steady. Now I know liking punk rock (especially "pop-punk", or any punk band that can carry a melody) in Seattle is the musical equivalent of a hate crime... but give these guys some credit- They played their asses off and the crowd loved it. To lump them in with Lit & Blink 182 is lame and inaccurate, and makes me wonder if Jeff actually set foot inside the King Cobra

Posted by Peter | July 28, 2008 12:23 PM

Wow, they did have an amazing amount of energy and great vibes for so much they went through to get there and play. It wasn't my thing but like Jeff says the audience really enjoyed it and thanks for reminding me not to take the hard efforts of the touring band so lightly, Peter. It's hard work and they certainly didn't make it look like it at all. (And I love punk, and melodic punk, BTW, as do a lot of Seattle people.)

Posted by Chris Estey | July 28, 2008 1:38 PM