« Candy Fest at King Comet | Another "Fuck You" to Apple »

Friday, July 11, 2008

Sorry to Pick at an Old (Boring, White) Scab…

posted by on July 11 at 13:06 PM

Rubber%20Soul.jpg

…but I’ve spent the past 24 hours listening to nothing but Rubber Soul and I can attest unequivocally and for all time that it is 30 times better than this album and 16 times better than this album.

That is all.

I could never figure out why any Beach Boys albums merited that kind of comparison. That stuff just has not aged at all well. Nice harmonies though, I guess.

Posted by flamingbanjo | July 11, 2008 1:37 PM

You are both wrong, and I will fight you.

Posted by Levislade | July 11, 2008 1:46 PM

You present your argument as fact, when we all know music is about opinion. Except when it comes to bands like Kid Rock, Nickleback, Jars Of Clay, and Filter. We all know those bands suck.

Posted by meerkat | July 11, 2008 2:06 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Schmader.

Posted by laterite | July 11, 2008 2:18 PM

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band>>>>Rubber Soul

Posted by Natural Thig | July 11, 2008 2:45 PM

You're on, Levislade! Gibsons at dawn.

Posted by flamingbanjo | July 11, 2008 2:49 PM

Not flaming banjos? Now that would be a fight!!!

Posted by Levislade | July 11, 2008 3:00 PM

5: If you believe that to be true, you must also prefer My Pretty Ponies to actual horses.

Posted by David Schmader | July 11, 2008 3:19 PM

no way, pet sounds all the way. granted rubber soul's individual songs have spawned whole genres of bands, pet sounds is wholelistic, packful of genuine innovative and new ideas, and, most importantly, has better individual songs.

Posted by hahnsolo | July 11, 2008 3:29 PM

9: I respectfully disagree, citing Rubber Soul's accomplishments as a rock n' roll record by an amazingly musical rock n' roll band versus Pet Sounds inherently lesser stature as a gorgeous, perfectly executed song cycle where the band is secondary to the songwriter. Rubber Soul has moments as gorgeous as the best of Pet Sound, but PS offers nothing to compete with Rubber Soul's rock n roll.

Posted by David Schmader | July 11, 2008 3:35 PM

For what it's worth (I think not much, but since we're talking about Rubber Soul..) I was listening to that record last weekend, having just been through the process of mixing an album, and all I could hear was the freakin tambourine... Man, did those blokes like to feature that particular instrument in the mix. That's what recording does to me for a while - I can't hear the song for the tracks! Once you're aware of it, it's hard not to listen to it.

Posted by yep | July 11, 2008 4:08 PM

You're a typical Stranger douche for re-posting this for the one millionth time. Typical in the sense that you inherently have to compare two incredibly influential records by making one seem so much worse than the other. While you should be comparing the influence that Rubber Soul had on Pet Sounds and perhaps commenting on the difference between the two in terms of production, song lyrics, or arrangements, you settle for blanket statements regarding genius. But I guess that the former would require actual, you know, thought. I mean, have you actually HEARD Pet Sounds? Obviously not.

Posted by Sameer Shukla | July 11, 2008 10:02 PM

Forever Changes >>>>> all the albums discussed here.

Posted by pete maravich's socks | July 12, 2008 12:36 PM

I've never been much of a Pet Sounds fan, anyway. And I'd like to fight Brian Wilson, any era.

Posted by bunnypuncher | July 12, 2008 4:42 PM

Sammer at 12: You're obviously a dick, but you might also be lightly illiterate, if you came away from my original post thinking I'm dissing Pet Sounds. Pet Sounds is amazing. And what's even more amazing is Rubber Soul.

Posted by David Schmader | July 12, 2008 7:06 PM

David-

Only bad writers blame readers. Communicate better, dick.

Posted by ss | July 12, 2008 8:03 PM

SS: I'm not blaming you. I'm concerned about your illiterateness.

Posted by David Schmader | July 13, 2008 4:49 AM

I don't think anyone who spells 'Sammer' should be talking about anyone's ability to read. Stop being so damn sensitive. You're a 'writer', right? And if you can't do that, you can always pretend to be important by talking about 'Showgirls' for the rest of your pathetic, pseudo-journalistic life.

Posted by ss | July 14, 2008 12:29 AM

10: i must agree that rubber soul is an infinitely better rock and roll album, but pet sounds is an introspective pop album, far removed from rock, with pioneering arrangements and studio technique aside, hasn't been matched since.

the most gorgeous intimate moments in rubber soul don't come close to pet sounds, lyrically, musically, production-wise; i dont consider it a fair bout though if one is going to compare the musicianship of the beatles vs. the wrecking crew. sure songwriting can be conceded to be equal in a politically correct kind of way, but the execution of those songs is definitely not equal.

i guess the fairest comparison would be the best ballads on each album, probably God Only Knows or Don't Talk vs. Girl or Michelle?

both Beach Boys songs trump the Beatles' i think.

Posted by hahnsolo | July 14, 2008 11:20 AM

an apple is better than a grapefruit but neither is as good as an orange. anyone who disagrees with these facts can go and get fucked.

Posted by beatcomber | July 15, 2008 2:00 PM

Revolver is a better record than both of those.

Posted by Dougsf | July 15, 2008 3:01 PM

Schmader, you are going to use the band being secondary to the songwriter as a critique and then go on to laud a band and album that features Ringo Starr on drums? Seriously you're sticking by that critique?

Posted by A. Dude | July 16, 2008 6:08 PM