« Mika Miko | Say Hi: Robot Approved »

Saturday, July 26, 2008

TacocaT

posted by on July 26 at 12:32 PM

TacocaT 5: Grant BrisseyTacocaT photo by Grant Brissey

Despite what some readers think is a blood feud with TacocaT, I found myself watching the band again last night, in the cool, cavernous basement of the Cha Cha (it was super pleasant down there; if you can make it tonight for These Arms Are Snakes, I highly recommend it). And you know what? They sounded awesome, although I think a key ingredient to that might have been that I couldn’t make out any of the lyrics in the vocals, only their cadence and intonation. All this time I somehow missed how they obviously bite the B-52s as well as the riot grrrls, and that puts their more frivolous songs in some better context. And, shit, maybe songs about Anna Nicole Smith and pap smears and UTIs are as relevant and radical as the next subject. In any case, the band sounded better than ever, not at all shambolic or sloppy but rather sharp and pointedly raucous. And I know it would be wrong to say that they’re just as cute as can be, but they really are—even the dude.

TAAS at what time?

Posted by TAAS! | July 26, 2008 12:44 PM

that UTI track is hilarious.

Posted by donte | July 26, 2008 2:33 PM

dude. you and your whole "riot girl" affectatiousness is SO. FUCKING. ANNOYING. this is said from a person who grew up more close and attuned to that olympia scene, way the fuck earlier and way the fuck closer. hell, a "famous riot girl" "baby-sat" me.

shut the fuck up. for one, you have a penis. for twosies, you are a douche and when you reference bikini kill and earlies 90's olympia you come off like one. and you are totally trivializing some pretty rad shit with your slimy penal smarm. weren't you like 8 or something? tell me about legos!

this comes also considering your supposed tacocat battle that i am really not that aware of, but annoyed by regardless.

stranger writing about bullshit trivial gossip and passing it off like hypo-intellectualism is pretty similar to tacocat singing about microwave ovens.* similar if you arent paying attention... are you reallllllly trying to make a point about lyrical context and meaning? you've never been good at that. at all.

grow up! stop the douche!

*do they? i don't know. i've never heard a recorded track of theirs and am only really loose acquaintances of theirs through other friends.

Posted by mattagain | July 26, 2008 6:05 PM

my egg shaker!!!

Posted by Brandon | July 26, 2008 8:39 PM

Your babysitter is soooo cool!

Posted by Eric Grandy | July 27, 2008 1:11 PM

I liked the show too. :) I might be silly, but I really do think their songs about pap smears, muffin tops and toxic shock syndrome are great insightful feminist anthems, and awesomely catchy too.

Posted by girlgerms | July 27, 2008 1:19 PM