Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on The Best Thing Jawbreaker Ever Did Was Break Up

Wait, Cave In? No way, they went out at the top of their game! They managed to converge (no pun intended) on a perfect blend of melodic pop and heavy guitar riffage with Jupiter & Antenna. Pitch Perfect Black had some great stuff too, for being a sort of thrown-together mishmash.

Posted by laterite | July 9, 2008 4:00 PM

Megan! Make a post about Jawbreaker! Charles! Overthink something! Dan! Post a picture of soccerplayer naked accompanying a post about a pitbull eatng a baby!

Posted by Make Your Own Slog Page! Ask Me How. | July 9, 2008 5:11 PM

Antenna blew. Perfect Pitch Black was alright, but Cave In really should have quit after Jupiter.

Posted by bunnypuncher | July 9, 2008 8:56 PM

The song is "Goodbye Forever"

Posted by fettig | July 9, 2008 9:05 PM

@4 I knew that. And I fixed it. Thanks!

Posted by Megan Seling | July 9, 2008 9:20 PM

The last couple songs Cave In wrote with the drummer from Converge were fucking incredible. If anyone thinks they should have quit after Jupiter, these songs might change your mind.

Posted by Erick | July 10, 2008 12:24 AM

Alkaline Trio totally should have stopped after their split with Hot Water Music. I still really like everything they did on that split and everything before it. After that record, when they stopped whining about cigarettes and started worshiping blood, I just couldn't handle them any more.

Posted by Little Red Ryan Hood | July 10, 2008 11:24 AM

And it needs to be said again... Metallica. Jesus they should have called it a day when Cliff died.

I've also got to say, Jawbreaker put out one too many albums, but Dear You does end the career with a soft landing, so I guess it worked out (in my head).

There's countless bands that sprang from from the late-70s punk scene, only to evolve (for the worse) as music changed, but I guess "no, really, their first record is good" bands don't count.

Come to think of it, I'm having a tough time thinking of bands that didn't deviate much from their original style, they just got worse.

In retrospect, does anyone really like the last Nirvana record? I don't even think I've ever heard it all the way through. And while not bad by any means, I don't think the Melvins have done anything worth adding to the collection since Lysol.

Posted by Dougsf | July 10, 2008 6:04 PM