« Amy Winehouse Is Back in the H... | Tonight in Music: Boris and To... »

Monday, July 28, 2008

Today in Synchronicity: Vivian Girls

posted by on July 28 at 16:53 PM

lp.jpg

Holy shit! Whoever was telling me about the Vivian Girls over the weekend, you get a gold start both for accuracy (they’re fantastic) and timing (the promo cd just came in the mail today). I get a demerit for not remembering who you are (my guess: someone in a beer garden, somewhere.) The band is parts Vaselines, parts Aisler’s Set, and, per their myspace, parts Black Tambourine, Wipers, and Shangri-Las. (Side note: does anyone actually listen to the Shangri-Las, or does everyone merely cite them as influences?) The band may already be old news, I don’t know, but DAMN! Their self-titled album is sold-out of its original run but will be rereleased on In the Red on Oct 7th. It will, in the interim, be on heavy rotation on my various music playback devices. Sadly, the Brooklyn band has no Seattle dates scheduled for the time being. Someone here ought to do something about that…

Update: Mike points out that they were here two months ago. I missed them. I will now spend the time being kicking myself.

Joey Ramone listened to the Shangri-Las. Often.

Posted by Adam Bernstein | July 28, 2008 7:11 PM

they played the funhouse 2 months ago.

Posted by mike | July 28, 2008 7:20 PM

Well, shit. Forget the timing, then.

Posted by Eric Grandy | July 28, 2008 7:35 PM

The Funhouse show ruled. They rock and are super cute.

Posted by Jeff | July 28, 2008 9:29 PM

Geez, don't you guys read the Portland Mercury?

Posted by Jason | July 28, 2008 11:16 PM

Josh Feit and I listen to the Shangri-Las religiously. I bet Schmader can whistle several of their tunes, too. "Past Present And Future" and "Dressed In Black" are classic.

Posted by Kurt B. Reighley | July 29, 2008 9:38 AM

Yeah, sucks you missed that show at the Funhouse Eric. I saw them in Portland on that tour, and then again in NYC a week ago while on vacation, and they really are something special. And Jason is right...I've been nerding out on them a little too much down at the Merc.

This upcoming tour isn't hitting the west coast, but they assured me they'll be back in winter.

Posted by Rob. | July 29, 2008 9:57 AM

Dang. Outed for missing a good show and not keeping up on our sister blog's going ons. Burn.

Posted by Eric Grandy | July 29, 2008 10:13 AM

yeah, grandy. my dude rob has been geeking about them a ton over at the merc. in addition to sharing his geekery, i've literally listened to this vivian girls AT LEAST twice a day since last month. and despite having only first heard them a month ago, they're currently number ten on my all-time most-listened-to artists on my last.fm page.

GEEKERY.

Posted by douglas martin | July 29, 2008 2:10 PM

Not only were they here, but I wrote up the show for the paper.

Zing! That's a real burner.

Posted by Ari Spool | July 29, 2008 2:48 PM

Burn on. This might surprise you all, but I'm kind of inundated in music, and I read and promptly forget the entire Stranger music about four times by the time it hits the streets. I can barely even remember who played Block Party. Now, where's my scotch?

Posted by Eric Grandy | July 29, 2008 3:12 PM

Eric, get a bicycle and a bus pass. You will be amazed to learn that music happens outside the Pike/Pine corridor.

Next thing you know you're in Ballard on a Sunday night watching King Khan and the Shrines or at the Funhouse on a Sunday hearing the Vivian Girls.

Right Ari?

Posted by Jeff | July 29, 2008 4:00 PM

i personally am not gloating, just welcoming you to the fold. vivian girls should rightfully become a big deal, because they've got a great sound. it amazes me that this whole "no-wave girl-group" thing didn't get thought of sooner.

Posted by douglas martin | July 29, 2008 4:03 PM

Wow, Jeff, you've really turned me around on this whole issue.

If you check Line Out, the only live show review not about Capitol Hill Block Party posted in the last 4 days was written by me, about a show that happened in Fremont. I've even ridden my bike there before.

Posted by Eric Grandy | July 29, 2008 4:50 PM

holy crap. can we say new favorite band?

Posted by alan | July 29, 2008 5:38 PM

Yeah. I have that record. Shit is awesome. In the Red is about to re release it. I saw them play. They have a new drummer. the old one use to be in Crystal Stilts (who are also awesome). Any way...buy more Ecstatic Peace records.

Posted by Thurstom Moore | August 3, 2008 2:21 PM

OOOPS. I meant...the pld drummer is still IN CRYSTAL STILTS. Still awesome.

Posted by Thurston Moore | August 3, 2008 2:22 PM