« James Brown Blaxploitation Tri... | Don Armando's 2nd Ave Rhumba B... »

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What’s With the Spitting?

posted by on July 2 at 9:36 AM

nospitting.jpgThis in from ĎKrissyí:

I hate it when I go see bands and they spit. Whatís with the spitting? Itís disgusting. The band I saw last weekend wasnít even doing anything that rigorous and the bass player kept spitting. He spit at the edge of the stage and it went on my friend, Melissa and we left because some of it went in her eye.

Well Krissy, youíre right. Some people in bands spit. Bass players do tend to spit more. Iím sure the bass player is sorry some of it went in Melissaís eye.

Singers often times need to clear their throat. One way to do that is spitting. Other times spitting is for effect. Have you ever spat and rocked, Krissy? For some people, it is exhilarating.

I think when done correctly, at the right moment, and with the acceptable kind of spit, it can add to the performance value of a set. But it canít be a chunky oyster or anything.

Itís got to be succinct, accurate, power-wad spit. And it canít go in anyoneís eye.

the only time spitting onstage is cool is when you can catch it in your own mouth while playing, like cole from the black lips.

Posted by douglas martin | July 2, 2008 10:12 AM

I have to confess to having once - several years ago - spat on stage, as a bass player. And I'm afraid it was more along the lines of the "chunky oyster." But it was only because I was incredibly sick and should probably not have been playing in the first place. The other guys in the band were doing it, too; they were a bad influence.

Posted by Levislade | July 2, 2008 10:45 AM

The worst is when the crowd spits on the band. I did sound for three punk rock bands and there was lots of spit interplay between band and crowd. GUess who got to put the spit covered microphones and cords away?

Posted by Jason Josephes | July 2, 2008 11:36 AM

I am a bass player - - and I spit. I don't really think about it when I do it. It just happens. I play and I spit. The spit is byproduct of my playing. There isn't really saliva that needs to be cleared from my throat and I don't sing. I just spit. We finish a show and people tell me I spit and I don't remember spitting.

Posted by Mas | July 2, 2008 12:23 PM

Was that by chance the bassist for the Oh Sees who played right before The Dodos at Neumos? Cause that dude spat everywhere. I felt bad for whatever employee was going to have to mop it all up.

Posted by Mr S | July 2, 2008 3:15 PM

I've seen Jeff Rouse (bass player.. A.C.S.) spit straight up into the air and then catch it in his mouth.

Posted by Porkchop Sandwiches! | July 3, 2008 11:15 AM