Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Work Stereo

fuck, kirby: you are hilarious

Posted by ndrwmtsn | July 8, 2008 9:36 AM

you do not know the greatest of sins...

I worked at a funeral home, and we only had two channels on the company stereo...

Classical Music & Smooth Jazz

Anything else was grounds for dismissal. So you should just suck it up, and be a man, because you don't want to be surrounded by death and dead music.

Posted by sir jorge | July 8, 2008 10:10 AM

the term you are looking for is "mall rock".
i loathe mall rock.

Posted by meerkat | July 8, 2008 10:12 AM

Better music critics made these same observations and complaints a few years ago.

"Pop punk is the ”Boy Band” of the 2000s."

Pretty sure that statement was first made at least two years go. Don't throw that shit in bold.

Posted by Nick | July 8, 2008 10:22 AM

That was one of my favorite things about working in retail or coffee shops: getting to pick the music. Of course that was when we would actually throw a bunch of physical CDs in the player and either shuffle or not. Nowadays, with the ipods and whatnot, I bet it would be even more fun.

I am starting a new job, and it just occurred to me that I might be able to listen to music at work, which I haven't done in ages. Yay!

Posted by Levislade | July 8, 2008 10:32 AM

I'm one of those cranky dudes who usually opts to not listen to anything at work if that option's available, because just about anything gets on my nerves eventually. At least the painfully familiar route is easier to ignore.

I remember being a kid and my dad complaining that us kids today had to have some form of media on at all times whether we were paying attention or not. Now I'm turning into my dad, because I've noticed the same thing. Music is wallpaper and TV viewing is mandatory.

Well, I'm off to yell at the neighbor kids who keep cutting across my lawn.

Posted by flamingbanjo | July 8, 2008 10:50 AM

Is this a restaurant? If so, it makes sense. Nobody is there to hear the music and they just need something for noise. It's familiar and boring, thus easy to tune out but it still covers up the clank of the kitchen, other people's conversations, etc.

It could be worse -- back when I was broke I had to work a telemarketing job. In Bellevue. For a matchmaking company. Even worse, the radio was ALWAYS on 106.1. I snuck in a small radio and an earphone to block it out, but the memories live on.

Posted by Jason Josephes | July 8, 2008 11:38 AM

mall rock = mallternative

Posted by Scottie Yahtzee | July 8, 2008 11:46 AM

when we aren't being burdened with the mountain, my office has an airtunes (allows you to stream itunes to a stereo), so we get the luxury of playing whatever we want. we try to keep the profanity down to a minimum, but that piece of gear changed the office atmosphere immensely, allowing us to play anything under the sun. jeff, i feel for you.

Posted by donte | July 8, 2008 2:49 PM

Today at work we listened to the new Melvins and Boris albums, and some Scratch Acid. And I work a customer service job.

Just rubbing it in a little.

Posted by bunnypuncher | July 8, 2008 7:53 PM