« Tonight in Music: Music Video? | The Valley »

Monday, August 11, 2008

A Bug in My Ear

posted by on August 11 at 11:27 AM

Part of my reacclimation process upon returning to Seattle involves heavy exposure to KEXP. I don’t know exactly why yet, but if the last few days are indicative, I’m finding it easier to deal with John Richards’ show now than I had done during my previous years here (2002-2007). Maybe I’m just damned glad to be back in Seatown and everything’s taking on a rosier glow.

Whatever the case, I was pleasantly surprised this morning to hear Richards play the Bug’s “Skeng”at 8:50 in the bloody morning. Nothing like some menacing, punishing dancehall/dubstep to get the blood flowing properly in the A.M.

John: Please continue to spin extreme cuts like “Skeng” [see video below] in prime time. Because, when you get right down to it, your show should be all about pleasing Dave Segal.

The Bug—featuring Warrior Queen and led by mad bass commando Kevin Martin—play the Decibel Festival Sun. Sept. 28. Start looking for a chest protector now.

He's been playing this track quite regularly. It kills me everytime.

Can we lay the dubstep genre to rest though?

As far as I can tell this genre is just digital dancehall from the UK (which has been going strong since the beginng of dancehall to begin with).

BIM!
Explain how I am wrong and I will listen.

Posted by Jeff | August 11, 2008 11:51 AM

One thing that's changed earlier this year re: the main KEXP shows, or at least John's show, is that now instead of no background music and more DJ chatter, now there will be moments where something cool is playing/looping in the background for 20 seconds before John or another DJ goes back on the air to begin the next run of songs. Probably to allow the DJ to take a breath of something.

Maybe this was a suggestion by Kevin Cole? Or this is a Jack FM type of thing? (I don't listen to commercial radio.) But I really think it has improved John In The Morning, and I kinda welcome it all across the general rock shows on KEXP. It may seem too slick to some, but it's easier on the ears for many reasons.

Posted by mackro mackro | August 11, 2008 12:08 PM

@1:
i think the difference between dubstep and digitized dancehall is lineage and influence. today's dancehall, whether it be from jamaica, new york, london, wherever, utilize pretty much the same set of sounds. the use of old dancehall riffs and sleng teng drum machine sounds is still very apparent. dubstep differs in its use of sounds - drum n bass, speed garage, and grime are more apparent than typical reggae or dub sounds.

also, one huge dividing factor is the tempo of dancehall compared to dubstep. dancehall mainly ranges from 80-100 bpm, with some oddball tunes that fit outside of those tempos. dubstep usually falls between 65-75 bpm (or 130-150 bpm if you see the tempo as double time).

i too thought that dubstep as a genre was primarily over two years ago, but it's really picked up a lot of steam in the last 18 months and has had some serious innovation. it's no longer simply staggered speed garage with some echo effects, it's really grown into its own.

Posted by cosby | August 11, 2008 1:17 PM

Well, lookie-here! Welcome back Dave.

Posted by boyd main | August 11, 2008 2:55 PM

The Bug's new album is excellent, head to toe.

Posted by Fawkes | August 11, 2008 4:17 PM