Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Alts vs Alts

Matos railed against "indie" in favor of "alternative".

Posted by josh | August 28, 2008 4:52 PM

Try again, Josh. I wrote:

The piece props up the idea of ďaltĒ that Matos (I think convincingly) rails against, that itís specific to the í90s.

In his post on the subject, Matos rails agains the idea of "alt" being a term specific to only '90s rock, arguing that it makes more sense to use today than does "indie."

Posted by Eric Grandy | August 28, 2008 4:59 PM

Sorry. I might have misread your sentence. Or, at least I read it before I read the "Monsters of Alt" charticle.

I guess the reason I was confused is your parenthetical "convincingly". Does that mean that, joking about Bumbershoot's nostalgia rock acts aside, you also think that "alt" shouldn't be chained only to the 90s?

On intellectual grounds, I agree with the argument that "indie" is an even flimsier term and less tenable term. Emotionally, however, I'm not sure that I'm onboard for an "alt" revival. Alternative wasn't a great term then, a passing decade didn't make it any better. Why not kick them both into the dustbin of history and come up with something new?

To clarify: you're in favor of "alt" being a 90s-only term and

Posted by josh | August 28, 2008 6:47 PM

(ack! feel free to delete that last sentence fragment. it got lost in the text box.)

Posted by josh | August 28, 2008 6:49 PM

Did Scott Weiland beat up your grandma or something? Jesus Christ, man.

Posted by laterite | August 28, 2008 11:49 PM

@3, 4 - I think alternative and indie both have pretty specific meanings, neither of which need be tied to an actual genre/sound of music. independent is antithetical to corporate; alternative is antithetical to mainstream. Neither of those define a style of music so much as a place that music occupies in the market/culture. It's when those words become shorthand for style and lose their more literal meanings that we get into trouble. So, in short, I think both can still be valid but both are too often misused.

@5 - Yes. Yes he did.

Posted by Eric Grandy | August 29, 2008 8:37 AM

Another error in your charticle, Grandy: "Mellow Gold" was not produced by the Dust Brothers. That was "Odelay."

Posted by Salmondave | August 29, 2008 2:11 PM

Thanks, Dave. That one I actually am bummed to have screwed up.

Posted by Eric Grandy | August 29, 2008 2:16 PM