« Free Tickets to Tomorrow's Ser... | Sound Off! 2009 Now Accepting ... »

Friday, August 22, 2008

Band names I have read and wept

posted by on August 22 at 11:12 AM

One thing I have learned from doing the listings is that there are nearly infinite ways for band names to be bad. There’s the overly conceptual or referential but ultimately meaningless (the Colour Revolt (See what they did with the spelling there? So cool! So Different!) Black Nite Crash, Five A.M.). There’s “words that sound cool together” which is sort of related to the previous (cool being a relative term here, as we have: Cicada Omega, Crack Ratchet, and Nihilistic Terrorist.) There’s bands that obviously just saw something written down and said, “Hey, let’s call it PC Load Letter,” there’s that special sort belonging to metal (Partial-Birth Abortion et al.… oh wait…), and then there’s the just plain lame (I’m looking at you, Press Start to Rock).

But the absolute worst: any kind of Effect, Explosion, Fiasco, Experiment, Collective, or Situation.

Or when an intern has to go by their full name to sound important. That's allways a way for things to look and sound cool together right.

Posted by Alan Feedman | August 22, 2008 12:29 PM

PC Load Letter is a reference to goddamned Office Space! It's a stupid band name regardless, but PC Loadletter is a reference to goddamned Office Space. I could give a shit about the band but lets tread lightly on goddmaned Office Space right now goddamnn it.

Posted by Afghanitstan Banana Stand (It's Tough To Stop Typing Banananananana) | August 22, 2008 12:51 PM

My First News Story

Posted by Brian | August 22, 2008 1:54 PM

@1
Awesome response. Meow!

Posted by gordon | August 22, 2008 2:14 PM

I thought the only people who used three names were serial killers, assassins , or failed child actors?

Posted by carbon14 | August 22, 2008 2:15 PM

One that comes up constantly in my (far too frequent) conversations about this subject is Skeletons With Flesh on Them. I've never heard them, but the name drives my wife nuts.

Posted by bunnypuncher | August 22, 2008 3:37 PM

Skeletons with Flesh on Them are cool, and their name is cool too.

Can anybody think of a band name that's cool without resorting to "because i like that band" or is it just easier to hate on stuff?

Posted by E | August 22, 2008 4:20 PM

undoubtedly, the best band name i've ever heard comes from Chicago:

Lasers and Fast and Shit

www.myspace.com/lasersandfastandshit

i haven't even listened to em. i just can't imagine a band living up to that name.

Posted by brian cook | August 22, 2008 4:28 PM

um, great bands with good names that would fall into your "absolute worst":

Animal Collective

Explosions in the Sky

Posted by josh | August 22, 2008 7:52 PM

couple my faves:

The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza

Arsonists Get All The Girls

and maybe my fave of all...

A Ghost's Face Two Inches From Your Own Face

Posted by tim | August 22, 2008 11:17 PM

Greatest band name ever: Coke Dick Motorcycle Awesome.

Posted by J. Burns | August 24, 2008 2:11 PM

what about 'nightmare' bands Slim Moon once had a band called Nisqually Delta Podunk Mightmare

Posted by mwand | August 25, 2008 9:00 AM

Or, the dark times in the 90's when bands had #'s after their names (matchbox 20, sum 41, 7 mary 3, finger 11, et al). Oh, the pain.

Posted by Martimus | August 25, 2008 9:01 AM