« "Thank You and Goodbye" | Spiritualized - "You Lie You C... »

Monday, August 4, 2008

Comment Wars: Greedtone Sounds

posted by on August 4 at 14:48 PM

greedtoneTatt.jpg

Here for you now courtesy of Jens Nordas – actual Greedtone Distortion Pedal sound samples.

Nothing beats the beauty of a comment war. There was a previous ‘Sound Check’ post where the Greedtone Overdrive Distortion pedal at Trading Musician was highlighted.

Matthew didn’t like the video, saying:

That was cute and everything, but pretty much worthless. You don’t learn anything about the store beyond what year they opened in Seattle, and you don’t learn anything about the pedal except what it is theoretically intended to do. I don’t get it. What was the point?

I responded with:

It’s an introduction to the pedal with some basic description about what it does, who makes it, and how it implements filters to maintain some of the instrument’s tone. A nugget about transparency, and Nirvana bumping Whitney/Whitney bumping Nirvana on the day the store opened told by a man who’s got some character. Lastly a demonstration of how it screws in securely. You can’t do much with 3 and half minutes of video. Click the link if you want more.

From there, apologies are made for falling way short of Matthew’s video expectations. Then Matthew is told to continue studying his Calculus. There is talk about 3D posters. An accusation of being a “snide ass” is made. Kudos are given, the sound quality of computer speakers and the internet are questioned, and someone says to get off of Grandma’s couch and shut off the Star Trek.

I stood up for my work. Maybe I was snide. I did think Matthew was judging the video a little too harshly. But now he can listen to the sounds all day long. Let us hope that it doesn’t get in the way of his Calculus.

Snide, schmide. You tell 'em, Trent!

Posted by Aaron | August 4, 2008 5:02 PM

Hey Trent,

Thanks for the update, it sounds like some readers/viewers will really appreciate it!

I wonder if it's time to do another video, with somebody playing a Greedtone this time...go back to Trading Musician?

I'll meet you there! And bring Mr. Greedy himself if you like...let me know.

Cheers!

-Jens

Greedtone.com

Posted by JN | August 4, 2008 10:36 PM

Wow. I've been busy doing other things and didn't notice that I'd started a little comment riot. That's hilarious. First: I don't do math, so no calculus for me. Second: You can do a lot in 3 minutes of video. As an illustration, here's a randomly chosen YouTube demo of a wah pedal (I don't play a wah myself, so don't blame me if you don't like them) that does quite a bit in a short time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMPzL7gZROI You're welcome.

Posted by Matthew | August 5, 2008 8:57 AM

Strangely enough, you can do a lot of calculus in three minutes, too.

LaPlacian vector fields forever, bitches.

Posted by showcase | August 5, 2008 12:21 PM

Cool Wah vid. I love wah. Thank you, Matthew. Now get back to your studies.

Posted by trent moorman | August 5, 2008 1:17 PM