« "Fuck You Dude, I'm Playing Me... | Today's Music News »

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Dead Baby Raceday XII

posted by on August 3 at 19:01 PM

Q: What happens when you get too close to a Dead Baby Bike JoustTM?

db19.jpg

A: THIS.

bkeye1.jpg

LOTS MORE ABOUT THE DDB-FUN-AS-HELL-FRIDAY AFTER THE JUMP.

Please continue reading…

This year’s annual Dead Baby post-race party was in Ballard instead of Georgetown. I heard more than one Dead Baby complain that it was ‘too big’, ‘too weird’ in the North End. All I could think was it was the best block-party-style party I’d ever seen in Yee Ole’ 206. First and foremost, admission was FREE. Free-free-free to see a shit-ton of stuff: contests, crazy bikes, and I don’t know how many rock, hip hop, and metal bands, on three different stages. I think my cousin said it best - “This is what I thought Seattle would be like when I moved here.”

It’s hard to describe how fun it was. And it’s definitely been a long time since I’ve happily walked away from a party with a big fat black eye.

db7.jpg

db20.jpg

db21.jpg

db6.jpg

db15.jpg

db18.jpg

db17.jpg

… and this last photo, taken immediately after the jousting pole went right into my eye ball

db22.jpg

It was pretty funny watching that place reach critical mass for dirt-bag bikers. Kudos to the Dead Babies for pulling off the whole thing. That was fucking crazy.

Macklemore and Cancer rising killing it down the street, playing to a small but energized crowd on the patio was stellar.

Your black eye is hot stuff. Nice work.

Posted by Jeff | August 3, 2008 9:09 PM

Yikes, nice shiner. I thought the space in Ballard was great but the ride from Phinney Ridge to Ballard was way too short. Regardless, it was still the best party ever.

Posted by Stacey | August 3, 2008 11:15 PM

uh, pretty pissed i stayed over at my friend's house to make/eat tons of hummus instead of going to this party.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | August 3, 2008 11:22 PM

Holy shit. That is dedication. Did you joust the guy back? Or maybe you jousted him with your camera. You are tough.

Posted by trent moorman | August 4, 2008 11:08 AM

damn girl. upon reflection i don't think i gave you the proper moral support when you copped that shiner. i think i was just yelling.

props to tha Babies, that was a party for sure

Posted by lar | August 4, 2008 12:27 PM

The party was totally awesome! It makes me want to joust next year. Will the tall bikes hold 450 lbs???

Posted by Billy the Fridge | August 4, 2008 1:17 PM

#5 - and if I remember right you were yelling something about America, Freedom, and/or the National Anthem?? Heh!

#6 - stay tuned for Fridge vs. TSK Donut Eating. On video! Mmm, Donuts. Nom, Nom, Nom.

Posted by KELLY O | August 4, 2008 4:13 PM

Thanks for comin' out, y'all.. It was kinda weird in Ballard, but only for a minute... It was one of the Best. Maybe we'll take it to Mercer Island next year!!! Join up with Tent City!!!!

Posted by Nick | August 6, 2008 8:57 AM

What's worse than finding a dead baby on your pillow in the morning?
__

Realizing you were drunk and made love to it the night before.
___

But really drink and make love to Dead Babies as often as possible.Thanks and cheers to those who came and were cool! Boo to those who came and jacked stuff and broke windows. You do realize the ammount of work that goes into puttin stuff like that together! Obviously! To those who have pics please dont be shy and post on flicker or the web site forum seeing as the majority of our video and pictures were stolen after being stored in a vehicle.BALLARD ROCKED.... Thanks again to those who were cool, and bad ass black eye Kelly O! Could certainly arange a joust off with the scoundral who gave ya that shiner! Tallbike style of course.
Ride fast, take chances, saftey third.

Posted by montanti | August 6, 2008 6:52 PM

THE BEST PARTY KNOWN TO HUMAN KIND!!!!! Kelly-o you are welcome to joust at our race any year, just let me know...oddly enough i got a black eye judging the jousting too,,, its can be a fun spectator sport to

Posted by DB S-Butter | August 6, 2008 7:36 PM

HOT FUN IN THE CITAY! Race day was a delightful melting pot of all things bike, beer, Bangin' bodies, Bedlem and Bud. You never forget your first time... ahhh DBB raceday 2008!

Posted by lou bird | August 6, 2008 7:42 PM

What do you tell Kelly O after she gets a black eye? Nothin', you already told her once.

Posted by Ron Boolio | August 7, 2008 9:36 PM

yep my boyfriend is the one getting punched in the face.... who just so happends to be the drunk of the week!!! im very proud!!

Posted by Amber | August 9, 2008 2:53 PM