Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on If You Dismiss Santogold as an M.I.A. Knockoff, You're a Deaf Racist

"Starstruck" blows my fucking mind every damn time. Not to mention that it's hard to go a single day without singing to myself "My name is Anne, I got a plan..."

Ignore/Fuck the haters. The album is definitely one of the best in the past year...maybe even (dare I say) in the past decade...

Posted by Amnesiac79 | August 6, 2008 12:18 PM

Also, people who don't like jazz are racists.

Posted by flamingbanjo | August 6, 2008 12:18 PM

I too have fallen into the MIA/Santogold comparison trap (racist!). But, to be fair, it's also deeper than just clingy clangy synth beats. It's also the visual/fashion aesthetic—not simply her skin color— the fact that she works with the two of the same big-name producers (Diplo and Switch), and that MIA and Santogold are in fact contemporaries and collaborators.

Posted by Eric Grandy | August 6, 2008 12:31 PM

3: Great, yes, true. My bitchiness is reserved for those who use the M.I.A. connection as grounds for dismissal, instead of comparison/discussion.

Posted by David Schmader | August 6, 2008 12:39 PM

MI.A RIPPOFF, FAGZ!!1!

Like that?

Posted by Eric Grandy | August 6, 2008 12:41 PM

Bullseye!

Posted by David Schmader | August 6, 2008 12:44 PM

wasn't everyone referring to santogold as m.i.a.'s protege six months ago?

i can't speak for racist hipster blogs, but the problem i have with santogold's album is it wasn't what i expected and it's not music i particularly care for. 'creator' was a massive single, i probably logged a solid hour of listening to that in the past year. 'creator' was like rock candy so i thought the rest of the album was going to be much of the same with the flurry of singles, remixes, producers signed on, hype - but it's like a lollipop with a beef bouillon cube in the center. if you like beef bouillon, that's cool - i don't. to me, 'santogold' is a non-exceptional indie rock album with a bunch of bleeps and bloops over top of it, bookended by two fantastic singles. it didn't satisfy my sweet tooth.

Posted by cosby | August 6, 2008 1:29 PM

Amen (to the post). Though, in all honesty, you probably should've been listening to this three months ago. Just sayin'.

Posted by LB | August 6, 2008 1:44 PM

8: Yeah, I have erratic listen habits. Three months ago I was listening to nothing but Steely Dan, while Santogold simmered in my iPod.

Posted by David Schmader | August 6, 2008 1:54 PM

I thought it had been settled that Santogold was a Tegan & Sara knockoff (but with beatz!!!).

Posted by paulus | August 6, 2008 1:59 PM

10: That seems fair (though I've never liked a Tegan & Sara album all the way through, and I've tried.)

Posted by David Schmader | August 6, 2008 2:30 PM

thank you for putting this out there. i've made the same argument but people just accuse me of being a bitchy feminist. such criticism has to come from the mouths of dudes sometimes to be taken seriously. room for both!

Posted by agreed | August 7, 2008 2:23 AM

funny. first time i heard santogold, i was hanging out in a coffee shop. i had never heard it before and i asked the barista, "what is this, M.I.A.'s little sister?" i keep my ear to the ground and i'd never seen her before, which makes it impossible for me to be a racist. so fuck off.

Posted by fuck off | August 7, 2008 3:17 AM

Seeing her at SXSW i was on the fence. I liked it, but couldn't get away from thinking she was just like MIA since she rad back up dancers and Diplo mixing the beats. she seemed a little whinnie live, but maybe i was a little too tipsy to be so critical. I did BUY her album last week and haven't stopped listening to it since.

Posted by maybe i was drunk | August 7, 2008 1:02 PM