« New Music Venue in West Seattl... | Just Trying to Make a Dollar »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crocodile Hires Eli Anderson as Talent Buyer, Roy Atizado as Director of Live Entertainment

posted by on September 24 at 13:23 PM

This just in from Crocodile PR spokeswoman Kerri Harrop:

Hello friends,

Things are moving right along at the Crocodile, with all sorts of demolition taking place. It really is a bit of a mess right now, but I sure think you will be pleased with the results.

Before the rumor mill starts going bananas, I just want to give you all a heads up and let you know that Eli Anderson has been hired as the Talent Buyer for the club, and Roy Atizado has been hired as Director of Live Entertainment.

You might remember Eli from his days at Sonic Boom Records, where he not only helped folks pick and choose aural delights for four years, but also managed to snag the coveted title of “Seattle’s Sexiest Record Store Employee” in The Stranger’s annual poll. After a year in Boston, where he did not win any awards or titles, but managed to maintain his indie rock cred by working for Forced Exposure and at Great Scott, Eli returned to our fair city and was promptly hired to assist with booking and promotions at the Crocodile. Since the club’s closure last year, Eli has been working with Frank Nieto at 230 Publicity and doing part-time booking at Chop Suey.

Many of you know Roy from his long involvement in the music world. Dude has spent the last 20 years working in virtually every aspect of the business. He’s been a tour manager, an artist manager, and is very experienced on the production end of things. Roy has worked many a day and night on the behalf of artists — coordinating sales and marketing at the distribution level, and making sure all the T’s are crossed and I’s are dotted. Roy has spent the last three years at Chop Suey, where he has been General Manager for two years. He’ll also DJ for you, if you ask him nicely.

In addition to the fine local team of Eli and Roy, the Croc has also hooked up with the Doug Fir in Portland to help out with some of the booking. The Doug Fir will assist with national touring bands, and ensure that the Crocodile receives the same fine quality of booking that takes place in one of our all-time favorite Rose City rooms.

So, what does this mean? Will Eli be up and down I-5, more often than a serial killer? Will the Crocodile change its name to something more woodsy? Should bands send their press kits to the Doug Fir? In short: no, no, and no.

Bands should send their demos, press kits, and pretty pictures to the dynamic duo at 2nd & Blanchard. They’ll be working out of the office in October. Or, Rocktober if you prefer. The Crocodile will continue to be a room that is open to all — from baby bands playing their first shows, to major national artists. Eli and Roy look forward to working with the pool of talented booking agents and promoters in Seattle, and far beyond.

We’re still a long way off from opening the doors, but, if everything goes according to schedule, look for the grand opening to take place sometime in late January or early February, 2009. There are some good surprises in store, and I am confident that the room will sound great. I spent a good chunk of time talking with Jim Anderson this week, and he’s really giving it his all.

As always, I am here to answer any further questions you may have about the club, its staff, and how many mice I have seen in the space. Please note that this is not a “normal” sort of Press Release, and we aren’t making a big deal about this news. While the booking and organization of the club is important, the last thing we want to do is start inundating you with every bit of minutiae pertaining to the club.

But, y’all asked, and so y’all received.

Contact info below. I hope this finds you well, and happy.

Best regards,

Kerri

Hey! This is about me!

Posted by Eli | September 24, 2008 1:36 PM

Congratulations on your return to the Croc, Eli!

Posted by Megan Seling | September 24, 2008 1:38 PM

Mighty big congratulations to you good sir! Please bring back the mashed potatoes!

Posted by Pete | September 24, 2008 1:43 PM

Jeesh, get a room.

;)

Posted by Jeff | September 24, 2008 1:47 PM

oh eli! this is such exciting news! woot woot!

Posted by racheal.huffman | September 24, 2008 1:49 PM

I guess this means I didn't get the job.

However! Congrats Eli.

Posted by Jason Josephes | September 24, 2008 1:55 PM

Great news Eli! Congrats!

Posted by John | September 24, 2008 1:56 PM

Sooooo glaaadd the Croc is coming back. yay! congrats!

Posted by the preons | September 24, 2008 2:03 PM

I'm hoping this will be a braid-beard douchebag free zone.

Posted by Medic is a twat | September 24, 2008 2:04 PM

No one has told me to fuck off yet...

What kind of Slog/Line Out comments box is this?

Thanks though! Very excited!

Posted by Eli | September 24, 2008 2:05 PM

Fuck off Eli, now book my band!

Posted by Jeff | September 24, 2008 2:12 PM

Don't book his band, they suck! Book my band instead. We're way better.

Posted by Other Jeff | September 24, 2008 2:15 PM

Hey Eli, eat my ass! And congrats! :)

Posted by Miss A | September 24, 2008 2:18 PM

Now we are talking! A "fuck off" and and ass eating the the future...

Things are looking up!

Posted by Eli | September 24, 2008 2:22 PM

Eli, who are you, Dave Depper? Go for a walk.

Posted by Gary Grey | September 24, 2008 2:25 PM

Congrats, Eli and Roy. Good news for all and much deserved.

Posted by Eric Grandy | September 24, 2008 2:31 PM

Thanks F.I.T.S.! See you soonish.

Posted by Roy | September 24, 2008 2:40 PM

BTW, "since the cub's closure" should read "since the club's closure." My bad.

Although, if you've seen Eli lately, you would not be wrong in thinking that he could be courting the highly-coveted bear market.

Posted by kerri harrop | September 24, 2008 2:50 PM

He aint fat. He's my booker.

Posted by The Crocodile | September 24, 2008 2:52 PM

With the news of Eli "Ursine" Anderson coming on board, my excitement about the reopening of the Crocodile just shot up markedly.

Posted by DJ El Toro | September 24, 2008 3:14 PM

I once (or twice) Nair'd my shoulders for a girlfriend...but I ain't shavin' my chest for no job!

You gotta draw the line somewhere...

Posted by Eli | September 24, 2008 3:30 PM

Congrats Eli!

Posted by tallchris | September 24, 2008 3:35 PM

bring back the tuna melt!

Posted by hungry | September 24, 2008 4:54 PM

Is the uniform of the "Director of Live Entertainment" a white suit and an ascot? Is this a nightclub or The Love Boat?

Posted by Chad | September 24, 2008 5:02 PM

Fuck the Tuna Melt, someone needs to bring back the After the Bash Hash from the old OffRamp.

Posted by dan | September 24, 2008 7:02 PM

Congrats Eli!

Posted by Joe Randazzo | September 25, 2008 11:55 AM

best [local music] news i've heard in a long time! couldn't have picked a better man. congrats eli!

Posted by cameron | September 26, 2008 6:21 PM

Funny hearing everyone hearken back to the good ol' days of the Croc, how they should bring back this and bring back that. The post was cool, yeah baby. I'm betting the bulk of you were still in diapers when the joint opened. Let's hear some real war stories about the place... Posies! Flop! Vic Chestnut! Melvana! The non-removable wall!

Posted by Rickety Old School | September 26, 2008 9:16 PM