Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Decibel v.05, Night 1

We also had a great time at Sole Repair -- good, sweaty fun. During a dip in my energy levels, I ran across to Neumos hoping to catch some of Tujiko Noriko's set, but instead got opening band Balun. Their lead singer was adorable -- especially after she strapped on an accordeon -- and their slightly wispy pop was a nice palate cleanser. Coming back to Sole Repair, I got caught in the line from hell but finally got back in for the start of the [a]pendics.shuffle set and more sweaty fun.

I had been really fired up about seeing Jahcoozi, but Neumos was running late and we couldn't survive Barbara Morgenstern's interminable buzz-kill of a set. When we got kicked out of the upstairs lounge around 1:00 and she seemed determined to continue noodling on her electric piano, we left to go home.

Eric Grandy's post suggested that Neumos was empty last night but that wasn't my experience. While not exploding at the seams like Sole Repair, there seemed to be a respectable number of people there throughout the evening. Good to see so many people coming out for these shows!

Anybody see Cubenx at the Baltic Room?

Posted by Piranesia | September 26, 2008 12:21 PM

My post only said the Neumos was empty at 10:30, when I peeked over there, which it was. Glad to hear it filled up.

Posted by Eric Grandy | September 26, 2008 12:37 PM

Thanks for the review, Dave. I'll be experiencing DB vicariously through you for the next couple of nights until the babysitter arrives. You're keeping my excitement up.

Posted by boyd main | September 26, 2008 1:12 PM

After helping set up the dj booth Baltic Room and then at Sole Repair I left to go home to clean up before heading back out, only to find that Sole Repair was at capacity. After talking with a bunch of friends I headed inside Neumo's and caught the tail end of Balun, which was very pretty and cute and nice, and there were about 80-100 shoegazers in attendance. This was about 10:45 or 11p. Then Tujiko Noriko came on and initially was very nice and drone-y, but that drone quickly stepped up into a painful wash of feedback that obviously threw off poor little Tujiko. It was too painful to watch, her confidence so shaken, that after trying to stick it out and nothing getting better I headed back out into the street and over to Sole Repair, where there was still a line but it was moving very quickly. Once inside I took my jacket off and started dancing to [a]pendics.shuffle, whose set went from straight techno to some brooding thumpy pings and back to a more uptempo party feel. The crowd at Sole Repair was very hipster, but also damned sexy and cute. I loved the girl with the bicycle helmet (It was the Peloton release party, after all). I agree it seemed like someone had popped a bunch of amyl nitrate into the vents or something, the vibe was very erotic and funky and cute, with that laid-back small-town feel that Seattle is famous for. Great first night of the Fest, really looking forward to tonight and doing the Sole Repair/Neumo's thing again!

Posted by TheNaFun | September 26, 2008 1:35 PM

rank?!

Posted by Erika | September 26, 2008 2:00 PM

@5
Um, it was a clean, healthy, sexy kind of rank--produced from righteous activities like bicycling and dancing. Yeah, yeah...

Posted by segal | September 26, 2008 2:47 PM

@1 the people i've heard from who caught cubenx said he was fire. looks like a lot of people, myself included, missed out.

Posted by bailee. | September 26, 2008 3:02 PM