« Heaven Bound & Down | UPDATE: Tonight's Darker My Lo... »

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Wanted (Almost) Everything at Flatstock

posted by on September 2 at 14:00 PM

I was at Bumbershoot for three hours this weekend. I missed These Arms are Snakes, I missed Feral Children, I missed motherfucking Superchunk. I spent the majority of my weekend moving and moving and unpacking. And playing some songs on the radio. And then moving some more.

But the one Bumber-related thing I have worth mentioning is this: Jay Ryan continues to be one of the best poster artists in the world of poster art. Flatstock is always a highlight of Bumbershoot for me (despite my terrible habit of spending way too much money there). This year, though, with a drained bank account due to first and last month’s rent, deposit, yadda yadda yadda, I was too broke to buy anything (including Strawberry Luna’s adorable alphabet prints for a measly $15).

Nonetheless, I still loved a lot of what Flatstock had to offer, including everything at Jay Ryan’s booth. Especially the adorable penguin poster he made for the Blue Planet Live concert series and the Tortoise poster of kitties in bowls.

penguins%21.jpg

tortoise.jpg

Swoon. He’s my favorite.

There were also some locals with impressive collections—Nat Damm, Andrew Crawshaw of Broken Press, Design Medicine… and then there was an art print of a little kid dressed as a cowboy riding a seahorse, and I have no idea who the artist is but I want one. So if you know, let me know. It’d look really cute in my new bedroom.

Agreed. I love Jay's stuff. The drawings on "Excellent Italian Greyhound" are worth the price of the album alone.

If you've never seen his stuff, I recommend checking out Tom Stack:

Paintings and fliers involving birds, worms, foxes, etc. Great stuff. My living room is decorated with (soon) four of his fliers.

Posted by tallchris | September 2, 2008 3:06 PM
Posted by lar | September 2, 2008 3:22 PM

I picked up Jay's Modest Mouse @ Sasquatch poster. My walls are full but buying something at Flatstock is a tradition. My theme this year is "shows I actually went to"

Posted by Bob | September 2, 2008 3:32 PM

was they cowboy on a seahorse the same artist that made a spoon poster of a cowboy riding a lobster?

Posted by josh | September 2, 2008 3:48 PM

@4 Yes! I think? I remember seeing that lobster poster and I think they were at the same booth. I liked that one too. Do you remember who did that?

Posted by Megan Seling | September 2, 2008 3:52 PM

Here's my favorite:

Bought one from him last year and TWO from him this year.

Posted by Scottie Yahtzee | September 2, 2008 3:56 PM

@6 I'm glad you linked to that, Scottie! I like his work too, and I couldn't remember the artists' name. He had stuff hanging at Annie's Art in Ballard a couple months ago. Really clean, nice stuff.

Posted by Megan Seling | September 2, 2008 4:03 PM

Yup. I usually buy posters from Flatstock of shows I've been to. This year, I purchased a Rilo Kiley poster of their Showbox show last year and a Band of Horses one also at The Showbox from last November.

Posted by Grrr | September 2, 2008 8:12 PM

I totally bought that Jay Ryan Tortoise poster. It was my favorite one there. I also bought a Small Stakes poster, that yellow Battles one on his front page. Flatstock is my favorite part of Bumbershoot every year. Getting the chance to converse with Jay even for a couple minutes is always a treat. What a funny man. This year I gave him some taffy.

Posted by Jeff Kirby | September 2, 2008 10:54 PM

@9 Jeff Kirby, I will be getting your address from accounting and dropping by in the near future to steal that poster. That is all.

Posted by Megan Seling | September 3, 2008 1:22 PM

awww, thank you for this mention here! i'm so glad to hear that you had a good time at Flatstock, we're all dorks so it is always really rad to hear this sort of happy feedback.

also! i wanted to let you know that the cowboy-seahorse print is indeed by the same artist who did the spoon-lobster poster and that his name is nate duval, he's super.

thanks a bunch again, cheers!

Posted by strawberryluna | September 4, 2008 8:46 AM

Ah, but Kirby picks up his checks at the front desk, not via mail. I suggest an ambush or perhaps blackmail.

I love Flatstock the mostest of all as well. This was my third in a row. I'd love to check them out in other cities. I got Jay to sign the Stranger cover he had from a couple years ago and he even took the time to draw me a lil cute/ugly doggie. I was enraptured!!! His wife has some pretty cool stuffs too. :)

Posted by Nay | September 8, 2008 12:40 AM