« Talbot Tagora, Past Lives, Dea... | Why I Don't Let Myself Have Ca... »

Monday, September 8, 2008

Monotonix at The Comet

posted by on September 8 at 16:46 PM

After that crazy-ass fourteen-minute set at Bumbershoot, you know Monotonix are going to f-ing destroy The Comet. The show is September 27th. It WILL sell out. If you wanna go, you better get tickets. Get ‘em quick!

Also, check out my post-show interview. It may or may not include straws breaking camel backs, broken shoulders, and beer spilled on your girlfriend’s boobies…

can you guys be any more on their nutsack?

Posted by nutrider | September 8, 2008 5:12 PM

@1: It is completely deserved. Monotonix put on a phenomenal show.

Posted by Aislinn | September 8, 2008 6:09 PM

Video is now MIA...can you re-post/re-link?

Posted by Dingo Rossi | September 8, 2008 7:07 PM

Sayeth YouTube :

"We are currently performing site maintenance. - we'll be back 100% in a bit."

Millions of YouTube monkeys are looking for boobies to ban, and Scientology videos to suspend?

Posted by KELLY O | September 8, 2008 7:18 PM

With all the ink that gets spilled about this band everywhere, have you noticed that nobody ever writes about their actual music?

Posted by J. Burns | September 9, 2008 5:44 PM

the performance *is* the music right now, that's the thing. it's the polar opposite of seeing a band like Death Cab for Cutie play live.

The band definitely knows the recorded music doesn't even come close - doesn't compare to the live experience. it'll be interesting to see what happens with some studio time...

Posted by KELLY O | September 9, 2008 9:02 PM

hmmm. i was at the flamingo cantina show where he threw the bar supplies. the bartenders were laughing. strange that they were bannned.

Posted by brian cook | September 9, 2008 10:25 PM

I'd agree that Death Cab aren't much to look at live (and hell, I don't really dig their records that much.)

I don't know, I just think it's possible to have good songs AND a good live show. Anyone can jump around and set shit on fire. Shit's bush league unless you've got the jams to back it up.

Posted by J. Burns | September 10, 2008 8:30 PM

Based on the images, I figured it would be some crazy screamfest, like that scene in Persepolis, only not as funny. I'm not much of a show guy, I tend to get drunk/small man syndrome/86'd.

Last night I listened to the EP. Several times. Every track is brilliant. It's enough to make me go crazy at a live show, something I haven't really done in ages. According to Amazon, it's only 6 tracks, and my favorite track I pulled isn't listed, Wave In the Water. Pull it if you can.

If it weren't for the performances, I wouldn't have heard of them, so I'm not complaining there. But their actual music, the EP itself, is great. It's simple. It's dirty. It's awesome. I can only imagine it's just as good if not better live. It warms my heart to see a band get into their music instead of stand up and do the occasional WHOA MY GOD BRIDGE--back to the mic.

I'll be there on the 27th. No doubt.

Posted by Mr. Poe | September 11, 2008 1:51 PM

And by warming my heart: It's okay that they freak out if their music is actually good. If a bands music is absolute shit, but their stupid stage antics rock their PR and ticket sales, It's like selling chocolate covered shit. I hate that.

"We fucking suck, but check it out, we're a bunch of crazy dumbasses on a stage." Oh boy.

Posted by Mr. Poe | September 11, 2008 1:58 PM