« Nominate the Ones You Love | Frances Bean Turns 16... »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

RE: Death of the Record Collection

posted by on September 16 at 15:11 PM

And despite the fact that record collections are being sold, deserted, becoming too expensive to own, Sony has announced that they plan on bringing vinyl back.

Via Punknews.org:

After focusing on CD and digital releases for the past few years, Sony/Legacy has announced plans to begin releasing vinyl again. Beginning this month, the long-running major label will begin reissuing Columbia, Epic, and RCA releases.

The first batch of releases includes mainstream arists like Boston, Blue Oyster Cult, Jefferson Starship and Cheap Trick, but also Lou Reed’s classic, Berlin, and Social Distortion’s 1990 album, Social Distortion.

Good luck with that, Sony.

Vinyl isn't dead. hello.

I play about 90% vinyl. Most of the DJs I know and play with only use vinyl. Sure it's heavy but it sounds so much better. You little fraggle rock "DJs" can keep your daddy-paid dual powerbooks with Serato for all I care.

Posted by bobcat | September 16, 2008 4:01 PM

No one said it's dead. But the argument for it dying is growing stronger and stronger. Just because you and your peers still use vinyl doesn't mean that vinyl is safe.

Posted by Megan Seling | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM

vinyl isn't dead, nor is going to be anytime soon... but the decision to reprint shitty classic rock records that can be found at any local record store for .99 cents seems pretty suspect.

Posted by rob | September 16, 2008 4:17 PM

The stranger blowing it again, just because you and Mr. Grandy say it don't make it so.
Of course the less cool weekly says otherwise

Posted by justanotherreader | September 16, 2008 5:05 PM

Seriously, Sony doesn't own any legacy property they'd consider reissuing that's worth any more than $3 used, and I'm guessing they'll be pricing these close to $50, as some of the bigger labels have done with reissue series' in the past. It's not going to last.

On a positive note, I hope this is a step toward moving away from manufacturing CD's entirely.

Posted by Dougsf | September 16, 2008 5:13 PM

Megan, this is an odd post for you. Cuz your turntable is STILL sitting in my office (ahem)...I kinda don't think you have much to do with records. GAH!!! Right, I don't think its that records are "dying" it's just the crap that gets put on them that sucks (harder) now, plus the consumer is lazy (was CDs, now MP3s) and cheap (downloading, "home taping," dubbing was the culprit before). I've collected records for more than 20 years and that writers are maybe saying the record is dying (again) is silly. Most contemporary music writers are NOT serious record collectors, so they have NO IDEA beyond sales stats and what their friends/contemporaries say. Records are only disposable to those who consider "as long as I have a copy" enough. Me? I don't really own IT until I have IT on wax. Collectors and those who DJ records exclusively aren't quitting (I can't show up to Soul Club w/reissues much less w/an ipod) ...IN FACT, the "market" is the same as always, its becoming easier and cheaper to own some records now while some others are harder to get and more expensive...as tastes shift so do the want lists and prices. I've never seen a slow down of collectors who want the PIECE, the thing...even as local record shows and stores tank (often because of the internet, it's always on....a record show/store, you gotta go to, or get up EARLY to visit). I'd never desert or abandon my records...as for them being expensive to own, beyond the space they take up they repay me in entertainment and happiness!!

And that Sony is gonna reissue $1 records for prolly $16 each? sheesh...

Posted by nipper | September 16, 2008 5:22 PM