« Metallica are #1 | Kanye West Is Free »

Thursday, September 11, 2008

What’s the Most You’ve Ever Paid for a Record?

posted by on September 11 at 16:00 PM

Okay, all this talk about collecting records and dealing records and spending millions of dollars for millions of records that may or may not be worth millions of dollars has got me thinking… I know that a lot of you out there are record collectors who would (and have) spent large sums of money on one very coveted album.

What I wanna know is, what’s the most you’ve ever paid for a record, and what record was it? (The amount of money you would pay for a specific record, should you ever find it, is also an acceptable answer.)

I can’t answer, as I’m not really one to spend much money on records since I don’t own a record player (well, I do, but it’s been collecting dust here at work since I bought it over a year ago). But I once spent all my allowance on a New Kids on the Block VHS tape for $20, if that counts for something. I was about 10-years old. It took me forever to save that $20 and about half of it was in change.

$65, if that Mount Eerie book + album from last year counts.

Posted by josh | September 11, 2008 4:53 PM

In Rainbows box. Radiohead. $82.

Posted by Biggie J | September 11, 2008 5:06 PM

$47 for a copy of Silkworm's "Libertine" on vinyl.

They don't pop up that often, and the vinyl sounds a million times better than the cd version.

Posted by tallchris | September 11, 2008 5:08 PM

i just spent $300 for 3 ADULT. 7"s, each one accompanied with a 16x20 photo.

technically, i think i spent $300 on 3 photos that were accompanied by 7" records. either way it's more money than i've ever spent on records or photos before.

Posted by brandon | September 11, 2008 5:31 PM

$50 each on Ilitch's Periodikmindtrouble and 10 Suicides.

Posted by segal | September 11, 2008 6:02 PM

$55 for panda bear's self titled cd, less than 100 copies exist.

Posted by something | September 11, 2008 6:02 PM

I also spent $82 on the Radiohead box. But the most I spent on a record that wasn't originally supposed to cost that much was around $60 for a copy of "Saturdays Cab Ride Home" by You and I. Anyone else remember Skylabcommerce.com? RIP.

Posted by bunnypuncher | September 11, 2008 7:57 PM

I sold a copy of Hum's "You'd Prefer An Astronaut" on green vinyl for $230 on ebay about 4 years ago because I couldn't justify owning a record worth that much. I got it for $10 at a show.

Posted by COD | September 11, 2008 7:59 PM

$65 for original pressing of Ween "The Pod" on Shimmy Disc.

Posted by Travis | September 11, 2008 8:19 PM

I bought my husband Radioheads first EP Drill for christmas two years ago. 4 songs I think, $450. And this is why I dont collect records.

Posted by jewritto | September 11, 2008 9:29 PM

oh man ...

i believe that the most i have ever spend on a record was $850 for a copy of The Masqueraders "Same Thing" on Soultown. oh Soul Music, constantly breaking the bank :( of course, i have since sold that record.

on a lighter note, however, i once sold a copy of a local disco 45 by a group called Priceless on the Decimel label for $1150. it was total garbage, but the English apparently like it :D

Posted by kevin jone | September 12, 2008 8:05 AM

i meant to say "spent" and my last name is really Jones. i hate typing.

Posted by kevin jones | September 12, 2008 8:07 AM

I spent about $40 Canadian for "Quest" a Japanese import by Dinosaur Jr. I think I've since encountered it going for 6.99

Posted by bob | September 12, 2008 8:16 AM

I don't remember the exact price, but I went over $30 for Marc & the Mambas' Torment and Toreros on CD. I'd probably go that high again for the Violent Silence/A Woman's Story collection, but I'm not sure I'm willing (or able) to pay the £40.93 that it's going for on Amazon.co.uk right now.

Posted by Abby | September 12, 2008 10:40 AM

I spent a good amount of money collecting all the Lync 7"'s a while back. I sold the White Stripes Sub Pop Singles Club record on ebay last year for $210.00.

Posted by Al | September 12, 2008 10:49 AM

$40 - David Ruffin - Feelin' Good (1969)- Mint and unopened

$80 - The Beach Boys - Stack-O-Tracks
-featuring acapella/karaoke vocal-less tracks of Beach Boys hits.

Posted by hahnsolo | September 12, 2008 11:08 AM

The Pop Group - "Y" for $30.

Posted by Chris Estey | September 12, 2008 6:54 PM

$600 gallery-edition Rolf Julius set. Sold it a couple years later for $900.

Posted by levide | September 14, 2008 11:54 AM

I'm extremely curious how much The Stranger's staffers have paid for an album. There had to have a been a time in their lives where they weren't getting fed advance-promo's, and actually had to pay for music. Especially the DJ's, and musicians in this crew.

Posted by godsactionfigure | September 14, 2008 4:48 PM

@19

See my response @5. I still buy music every week. I'll show you the receipts, if you wish.

Posted by segal | September 15, 2008 11:18 AM