« Also Tonight: Yelle, Passion P... | Thank You (For Writin’ This Bo... »

Monday, October 27, 2008

Built to Spill - “Paper Planes”

posted by on October 27 at 13:25 PM

I’m sure it sounded better in person, but I do not care for this at all:

Oh man, that hurt.

That was really embarrassing to watch.

Posted by Jeff | October 27, 2008 2:50 PM

that's REAL music though, they're using guitars and drums and stuff.

Posted by sam | October 27, 2008 2:51 PM

Nice one, Sam.

Posted by Eric Grandy | October 27, 2008 2:53 PM

I just listened to the audio without watching it and didn't think it was so bad. I'm sure my opinion once I get the full experience

Posted by Bob | October 27, 2008 3:04 PM

The second you write a decent tune, let us know. Otherwise, we'll just laugh at the most secluded, immature music editor of all time. Go fuck yerself, will ya?

Posted by Ze Douche | October 27, 2008 5:29 PM

People need to stop playing the song, singing it in the streets, thinking about it, immediately.

Posted by dc | October 27, 2008 6:32 PM

That song is a hit because of the Clash. The Clash, like Built to Spill, played real instruments. I'm sure it was a million times better in real life, that recording is shit.

Posted by kerri harrop | October 27, 2008 6:57 PM

Somehow Built To Spill covering M.I.A. sounds to me like Modest Mouse covering Built To Spill covering the Clash. But yeah, it sucks.

Posted by Adam | October 27, 2008 7:12 PM

Wow! I don' think I've ever seen Doug so animated on stage before. What's gotten in to him?

Ohhh, and there is a prescedent for this. Built To Spill also used to cover Macy Gray's big hit (can' remember the song title) back in the day...

Posted by I-Ree | October 27, 2008 10:39 PM

@7:
the clash (played real instruments) = real
big audio dynamite (used drum machines) = fake

also, were kids really getting pumped up to 'straight to hell' before m.i.a.? it's arguably one of the worst songs on arguably their worst album. 'straight to hell' would have retained b-side status if it weren't for samplers, recontextualization, and futuristic fakeness.

Posted by cosby | October 28, 2008 8:53 AM

@9: "I Try." That was a hell of a cover, though. I thought the BTS version of that song was great.

Posted by Eric Grandy | October 28, 2008 9:21 AM

real band...fake band...real instruments..electronic instruments...

the only thing that matters is real SONGS. real songwriting. straight to hell:awesome. MIAs song using it:pretty fun.

built to spill:should've broken up after keep it like a secret. they'd be so much more important now.

Posted by princess | October 28, 2008 8:49 PM