« Hair Metal Extravaganza | Last Minute Show »

Friday, October 3, 2008

A Little Bit More Jamie Lidell

posted by on October 3 at 16:14 PM

A colleague just called me a Jamie Lidell “hater” for what I wrote in this week’s Data Breaker. Hmm. I would say it’s more accurate to label me a “spurned Lidell lover.” My archives bulge (ooh) with praise for the British song-and-dance man. Go ’head and google it. I’ll wait.

Anyway, Lidell plays Showbox at the Market tonight. I’m holding out hope that he leans more toward his old(er) improv/beatbox/weird rhythmic loop steez than his new streamlined, accessible R&B trad maneuvers. I can be quixotic that way.

For examples of the Lidell who made a true fanboy out of me, check the videos below. For the new, more mainstream-palatable Lidell, check the video provided in this post.

Lidell at the 2006 Bumbershoot:

i fully agree with your statements about 'jim', the album feels like it was made to be played at starbucks. i'd rather hate on an excellent musician that's falling off rather than giving them a free pass.

additionally, a few statements about lidell:
* 'daddy's car' far exceeds any of the work on his post-breakthrough albums.
* 'deep ellum' by the lo-fidelity all-stars is what 'multiply' should sound like, but doesn't.
* 'multiply additions' is one of the very few remix albums that i think trumps the source material. mara carlyle's take on 'game for fools' is unbelieably good, better than the album cut by miles.

Posted by cosby | October 3, 2008 4:50 PM

For what it's worth, at Sasquatch he split his brief set something like two songs solo beatboxing style and four or five with full band. You can probably count on at least "When I Come Back Around" and "Little Bit More" in the old school style.

Posted by Eric Grandy | October 3, 2008 4:53 PM

Fuck, that Bumbershoot performance was fire!

Posted by Eric Grandy | October 3, 2008 4:57 PM

Anybody for a Super_Collider reunion?

Posted by segal | October 3, 2008 5:32 PM

"let's be clear" c. barack la familia

i didn't call you a jamie lidell hater.

i just called you a hater!

but yeah, lidell's show was pretty freakin cheesy last night. there was a guy playing talkbox thru an oboe. and did he always spin the umbrella with the swirl painted on it while he sang? my gf said "what is he, the riddler?"

janelle monae murked his whole set (at least what saw of it before i called it)- but man, the sound was uniformly awful @ showbox last night, wtf is up with that?

Posted by lar | October 4, 2008 4:32 PM

Okay, Lar. I'm a hater.

And it looks like I got ill at the right time. I disco napped through Jamie's lame set.

Posted by segal | October 4, 2008 9:07 PM

So up for a super_collider reunion it hurts. "It Won't Be Long" haunted me for a few years (heard Tipper play it on groovetech) before I discovered them.

And, yup, delayed-onset dBflu here too.

Posted by eric moon | October 5, 2008 12:59 AM

And I'll be a shallow hater:

Jamie Lidell gets uglier every time I see him, which depresses me.

Posted by Erika | October 5, 2008 2:48 PM