« One Picture | Today's Music News »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Joe the Guitarist

posted by on October 30 at 11:06 AM

Aerosmith’s Joe Perry has come out for John McCain:

“We pretty much stay out of it, but seeing so many people come out for Obama, I just felt like ‘What the hell, I might as well raise my hand for this side,” Perry said from his Duxbury home.

The Bay State rockers have done a few fund-raisers for the Kennedy family over the years, but Perry’s endorsement of McCain marks a first for the platinum-selling guitarist/songwriter. A lifelong Republican, he said he was inspired to come forward because of ringing McCain endorsements from Rudy Giuliani and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I’ve been a hardcore Republican my whole life,” he told the Herald.

The McCain campaign is well pleased:

Of the rocker’s endorsement, McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said: “Joe Perry is an icon of rock-and-roll and a great American. John McCain absolutely appreciates his support.”

This is the first time I’ve thought of the word “Aerosmith” since I accidentally watched part of Armageddon about a year ago.

There’s good news on the Joe the Musician front, too: Joe the Plumber is not pursuing the country-music record deal that was offered to him:

“Joe the Plumber” seems to be creating a bona fide brand for himself.

But as to rumors that he’s being pursued for a country music record deal, Joe Wurzelbacher says he doesn’t know if the American people are quite ready for his crooning.

“I love country music, and I mean it’s pretty much what I listen to from sun-up to sundown,” he told FOX News on Thursday. “But as far as me being a country music star, I don’t know. I don’t think people are that deaf-tone out there.”

Time will tell.

Yeah, but Barack Obama has Joe the Plummer Drummer on his team.

Joe Plummer (Modest Mouse, Black Heart Procession, Magic Magicians) is way smarter than Joe Perry. And, a million times cooler.

Posted by kerri harrop | October 30, 2008 11:25 AM

g.o.p. = revolution x

Posted by cosby | October 30, 2008 12:22 PM

I always knew there was something wrong with Aerosmith. They sounded so much better when they were on drugs in the 70's. A (former)junkie/hardcore Republican. I bet he was fun at parties!

Posted by Tiffany | October 30, 2008 12:45 PM

I always have a hard time explaining why I don't like Aerosmith (even the old stuff). Nice to have some extra ammunition.

Posted by Strath Shepard | October 30, 2008 3:41 PM

Well, between this and Ted Nugent, I'd say McCain has the "third-rate Jimmy Page wannabes who haven't played anything remotely noteworthy in thirty-five years and yet are still inexplicably out there flogging it " vote all sewn up.

Michael Schenker could out-play either one of their sorry asses on their best day anyhow.

Posted by flamingbanjo | October 30, 2008 6:00 PM

you could say the same thing about Jimmy.

Posted by nobody | October 31, 2008 10:33 AM

@6: Yeah, but I give Jimmy Page a free pass for being so awesome. I just pretend that the whole David Coverdale collaboration never happened.

Posted by flamingbanjo | October 31, 2008 1:40 PM

What about toys in the attic...as lame as joe perrys politics are, that album is sacred

Posted by lewgap | November 3, 2008 10:30 AM