« The Trucks Last Seattle Show | KFO Wins 2008 Northwest Laptop... »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Soul Night

posted by on October 12 at 17:51 PM

Jesus Christ, it was packed at the Lo_Fi last night. The people in the crowd/the women wearing trippy vintage stuff/the men wearing women’s scarves around their necks like ascots/the goofballs on the dance floor/the smokers outside were some of the most attractive people currently living.

my favorite thing about soul club is that its the one place in seattle where its not acceptable to look like a schmuck.

oh and the music is okay too, i guess.

confidential to that dude who has shown up twice now wearing elvis glasses, sandals and cargo shorts: you fail.

Posted by alithea | October 12, 2008 11:54 PM

Snob.

Posted by Jason Josephes | October 13, 2008 11:53 AM

It's people like you alithea and your shitty attitude that killed the ECSC night for me many months ago. You fail.

I was down from day one, in the days of ol' when none of you hipsters would travel off the hill to Lo-Fi. Now, the attitude/stand-around-and-look-cool just kills it for me when all I wanna do is dance.

Posted by Ladydon'ttekno | October 13, 2008 2:28 PM

My favorite part was when they let us keep dancing until 2:30. Haven't missed one since I started going a year and a half ago!

Posted by Scottie Yahtzee | October 13, 2008 5:59 PM

Alithea, I guess I've gotten a completely different vibe from the ECSC night as you. It's always seemed to have an open atmosphere missing the trappings of the hipster wannabee cooler than you attitudes of Capitol Hill. Wile there is definitely encouragement to dress up, which is great, I think it's the open and friendly atmosphere to all brands of people that's kept the night cool. No need for a uniform or hipster snobbery, that will make the night less fun.

Posted by dan10things | October 15, 2008 9:36 AM

@3/5 - We started ECSC to be an inclusive (!!!) night for everyone since many strictly '60s inspired nights tend to be exclusive (tho' not always on purpose). And at this point it was obviously the right move since being exclusive would have killed Soul Club within the first few months...there was/is NO established "soul scene" to support the night. As for folks dressing up, that just kinda happened. Personally, I don't recommend open toed shoes since there are SO many folks on the dance floor, to me, wearing sandals seems nuts and dangerous for them wittle piggies! I always wear clothes I don't mind getting sweat soaked in (never anything "nice"...just t-shirt and trousers)...and I bring an extra shirt to change into so I won't be cold on my ride home!

Oddly, from the BEGINNING, there have been assumptions of 'hipster' elite conspiracy, even when woodshedding the night, we had established INCLUSIVE as our intent. But then, after the very first Soul Club (11/05), one of the founding residents quit as it was TOO inclusive...too many 'hipsters' turned up he said. Uh, he did this basically the next day AFTER the VERY first night. Dunno who reads L.O. AND happened to be there the first night, but there were NO hipsters, just a handful of our friends and scooter/ska kids.

@4 NEXT MONTH we're having our 3rd anniversary weekender, TWO NIGHTS (Friday AND Saturday) of guest DJs and they're on till 4AM!

Posted by nipper | October 15, 2008 12:06 PM

I agree with Dan on this one. I always appreciate that some people dress up for ECSC, but I've never felt any pressure conform to any kind of a dress code.

Posted by Eric Grandy | October 15, 2008 12:59 PM

but nipper, ska hipsters are THE WORST hipsters of all!!

ecsc has done a great job of keeping it inclusive, and, @3, if you don't like "hipsters" showing up at the music events you go to, you should probably not live in seattle, or just stop liking music all together. i mean, this is seattle, have you seen the people who live here?

i agree with dan, on almost all fronts. i just don't think its okay to look like a total schmuck or like you just came from a keg party because it dampens the vibe. and honestly, the worst offenders also tend to have the worst manners and are most often going to ruin it for other people. but, hey, thats just me.

Posted by alithea | October 17, 2008 12:09 PM

also i love the fact that apparently #2 called me a snob.

yo dude, your link goes to the blue moon myspace profile. WORST BAR IN SEATTLE. most expensive drinks in the diviest bar!! i only go there if i want to get skeezed on by a desperate hippie. aka never.

Posted by alithea | October 17, 2008 12:11 PM