« Today's Music News | The Burn: B-Boys, B-Girls, and... »

Friday, October 17, 2008

Straight To Boombox

posted by on October 17 at 13:19 PM

parrot_aviary_cage.jpgIn Tacoma there is a man called DJ Mountain Purse. He is a mystery. His rap is what he calls ĎRat Nibbleí. Itís a combination of skank, Mad Lib fill in the blanks, Two $hort, and lo fi wherewithal. DJ Mountain Purse calls himself a con man, and he raps like he has a tick. He says he doesnít need instruments or laptops or a backing band. All he needs is a street and his flow. Heís also really into Oxycodone.

DJ Mountain Purse self released his 2nd cassette called The Gazelle Will Spring and I Will Eat it Before it Hits the Ground. I donít think he ever does shows. He recorded his cassette straight to boombox.

We spoke. Mountain Purse wore all white. He asked that I not take his picture:

Are you a gangster?
Mountain Purse: Iím whatever you want me to be. Gangster, maybe. Politco. Street guardian. I am an unheard of brand of malt liquor. Iím the drama in Dramamine. Iím Sarah Palinís daughterís unborn son.

Politico?
Like Pluto.

Are you high?

You say you donít need instruments. Could you talk about that?
They get in the way. When I rap, I see things. Yesterday I was rapping behind the glass museum about one pimp lighting another pimpís car on fire. I saw archways. Like Roman aqueduct archways. If there had been instruments, my words and their stream of free form release would never have escaped my mouth.

But you have beats and samples on your CD, where did you get your beats? (He sampled Soundgardenís ďJesus Christ PoseĒ.) If you donít need instruments and they get in the way, why didnít you do the cassette as a vocal only thing?
Because I can do anything I want.

Do you think Soundgarden would be pissed you are using their sample?
Youíre not one of those guys are you Ė all lawed out? What a drag it must be to suck that bad. Besides, I donít use samples, they use me. Samples find me.

If you had a video, would there be a Yacht in it?
That is a perplexing question. I am not opposed to Yachts and or speedboats. I realize they are metaphorical representations of excess in the hip hop world. Itís just that I canít swim. I think I would do my video in an aviary. Iíd be rapping and sitting in a birdcage with parrots all over me. You would be below, cleaning my droppings and shit off of newspaper.

"I don't use samples, they use me"!

This guy is the SHIT.

Posted by Chris Estey | October 17, 2008 1:38 PM

Uhh...this dude's like Kool Keith except maybe not into booty as much...?

Posted by dang mang | October 17, 2008 1:43 PM

I completely agree. He is the shit. And I'm cleaning it up off the newspaper.

Posted by trent moorman | October 17, 2008 1:43 PM

Oh no, he's into booty. See "Call of the Ho."

Posted by trent moorman | October 17, 2008 1:55 PM

trent, you are totally all lawed out dude...

Posted by dan rapport | October 17, 2008 3:12 PM

Mountain Purse needs to play. I need to see him. I'm already a fan.

Straight to boombox is o.g.

Posted by Theo | October 17, 2008 3:42 PM

Hold on. If he's going straight to boombox, how is he getting the samples in the mix? And if he hates computers, how's he cutting up his samples?

DJ MP, what is the deal?

Posted by Theo | October 17, 2008 3:44 PM

damn i need a tape deck

Posted by lar | October 17, 2008 3:53 PM

LOL i forgot about this gem
"report to David Meinert for your rap cleanse"

that sounds wild uncomfortable and prohibitively expensive

Posted by lar | October 17, 2008 3:58 PM

Is it too late to get a rap cleanse from Meinert like that ho was screamin?

Posted by RA Colonic | October 17, 2008 4:00 PM

LAR, I can't get that link to work. What am i doin wrong?

Posted by Theo | October 17, 2008 4:02 PM

it's in the comments on the OG Mountain Purse post

Posted by lar | October 18, 2008 12:52 PM

he was rapping about a pimp setting a car on fire by the glass museum...and you thought trapped in da closet was weird.

Posted by jon.e.rock | October 20, 2008 8:35 AM

btw, trent are you allowed to post trax? i wanna hear.

Posted by jon.e.rock | October 20, 2008 8:38 AM