« Weezer's Record-Breaking Video | Speaking of Kanye West Doing "... »

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Things I Hate About Songs I Like

posted by on October 7 at 11:35 AM

I hate the way Ben Gibbard sings “San Francisco” in Narrow Stairs’ opening track “Bixby Canyon Bridge.”

I hate that Kanye West says “Me likey” in “Stronger.”

I hate the way Rocky Votolato rolls the R when singing “excuses r-r-r-r-ring out loud” on the Waxwing song “Everything’s on Fire.”

I hate the lyrics to “Days of Phoenix” by A.F.I. I love the way the song sounds, but I hate that Davey Havok sings “I remember when I was told a story of crushed velvet, candle wax, and dried up flowers.” Such a dumb lyric.

Speaking of dumb lyrics, I also hate the lyric “Am I late to the kingdom of love?” in Jeremy Enigk’s “City Tonight.” But the song has a great eerie, new wave quality, so I still listen to it.

Sometimes even great songs have their flaws.

You're right, Kanye should know the proper usage is "me rikey!"

Posted by paulus | October 7, 2008 12:10 PM

You're forgetting the best line in Days of the Phoenix...
"Teenage death boys and teenage death girls..."

Posted by Kevin Diers | October 7, 2008 12:19 PM

The "me likey" in "Stronger" makes me want to die. It's almost as bad as Puffy's "EH EH!" which is horrible.

Posted by David Schmader | October 7, 2008 12:21 PM

"Me likey"óbetter or worse than "Klondike"/"Blond dyke"?

Posted by Eric Grandy | October 7, 2008 12:25 PM

"Klondike/blond dyke" is genius! I especially loved when he referenced the line to Ellen Degeneres, who was profusely thanking him for doing an impromptu performance on her show. "Like I said, I'll do anything for a..." She (and I) almost puked from laughing.

Posted by David Schmader | October 7, 2008 12:52 PM

I made the mistake of looking up the lyrics to "Days of the Phoenix" once. I think that was the day I stopped caring about AFI.

The song still kicks ass though.

Posted by T | October 7, 2008 1:32 PM