Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, November 14, 2008

Brothers of the Sonic Cloth Gain an Edge

Posted by on Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM

3018038165_f576049b7e.jpg

Aaron Edge, that is. He’s the new drummer of the Tad Doyle-led Seattle group Brothers of the Sonic Cloth, replacing Eric Akre. (Edge—who was Himsa's founding guitarist—also toils as an editorial designer for the publication you’re reading right this instant. He also plays in these groups: Requin (bass), Hellvetika (all music/vox), and Tsuga (all music/vox). Feeling lazy yet?)

I haven’t heard much of Brothers of the Sonic Cloth, but what I have caught bears resemblance to the de-tuned, speared-Mastodon guitar groan of early Earth with beats that hit you like slow-motion punches thrown in Hollywood thrillers. It’s kind of like delayed mortification, and it feels really good. Sometimes they let up on the gloom/doom and psych out on a more ethereal plane. But it still carries that patented Tad heaviness.

Forever is a long time, Brothers of the Sonic Cloth imply, and they’re just getting warmed up to provide the soundtrack for infinity’s gradual disintegration. (Hey, it's Friday and I have a wicked headache.)

Comments (14) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Fug yeah! Can't wait to hear it.
Posted by Grant Brissey on November 14, 2008 at 5:41 PM · Report this
Saw their first show opening for Asunder back in March. They were good, if a little unfocused. I've heard they've already grown by leaps and bounds, and I'm really excited to see/hear them again soon!
Posted by bunnypuncher on November 15, 2008 at 4:47 PM · Report this
Your use of the word "Hollywood" is particularly apt--Doyle looks exactly likes Orson Welles in that photo.
Posted by K.C. Fennessy on November 16, 2008 at 11:00 AM · Report this
Aaron has always made me feel lazy.
Posted by Lindi on November 17, 2008 at 1:21 PM · Report this
Aaron Edge is a douche bag.
Posted by What for? on November 17, 2008 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Aaron Edge is an amazing talent, I'm sure this band is awesome.
Posted by George on November 17, 2008 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Aaron Edge is a hipster-assed poser - one of the most hated people in various "scenes". And gee, he WORKS for The Stranger - lovin' those journalistic principles, guys! And Tad SUCKS. Always has.
Posted by Nobody Cares on November 17, 2008 at 2:21 PM · Report this
I love how The Stranger IRONICALLY tags this article as "Conflict of Interest". Since when did things like this become a fuck-off for journalists? So, does every musician in Seattle need to get a job at The Stranger so we can get the, "Hey, my bro in the cube next to me joined _insert lame band here_ and because our rag is mentioning it, it gets credence somehow" promo? I can think of MANY heavy bands off the top of my head that are worth a shit. This one is definitely NOT one of them. Oh wait. I started out by assuming The Stranger had something to do with journalism. Silly me. Hop the FUCK back on your fixed gears.
Posted by Drumstick in your spokes on November 17, 2008 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Q: How do you know that someone has never heard The Melvins?
A: They think Tad is heavy.
Posted by Your Name Here on November 17, 2008 at 3:30 PM · Report this
Funny comments from sick people who like to talk crap. I bet none of you pansy-assed cyber-badasses have the balls to walk up to Doyle or Edge and tell them this stuff to their faces. Not that they would even give a shit about your bad attitudes or your shitty little opinions.
Posted by your phone is not ringing on November 17, 2008 at 4:04 PM · Report this
I've seen these guys while Eric was playing drums and they were amazing. It will be interesting to see what Doyle and company do with Aaron playing drums. I just hope he can hit as hard as Eric. Doyle has always had awesome drummers.
Posted by sMELVINSlikeTEENspirit on November 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM · Report this
@8

Oof, you caught us. You blew the fucking lid off this one, man. The Stranger only writes about bands with Stranger employees in them. Now let me find a gold star for your forehead.

We wrote about Brothers of the Sonic Cloth before Aaron joined the band and we'll likely write about them should Aaron leave the band.

Also, what #10 said.
Posted by segal on November 17, 2008 at 5:13 PM · Report this
If You have nothing nice to say....write it in a letter and mail it to yourself...when it arrives...throw it away. Gosh....You guys act like bands have a cure for Cancer...let it go.
Posted by Zayfad on November 18, 2008 at 5:23 AM · Report this
Segal is great person to comment on conflict of interest.
Posted by hmmm on November 18, 2008 at 9:54 AM · Report this