Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, January 23, 2009

Well, Shit

Posted by on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 10:03 PM

76fb/1232775212-denzeland.png

Uhhhh. I'm sorry. Regarding this. I mistook some random guy for P. Diddy. I saw P. Diddy on Tuesday, standing up shaking hands with someone who was sitting down, or at least I had a pretty good idea it was P. Diddy, and had a sense he was roughly in the area where the random guy was, and zoomed in on that area (in the photo Anthony found) to confirm with you, dear readers, knowers of everything, that I was identifying the rapper correctly, as I have very little idea what P. Diddy looks like, as my favorite band is Belle & Sebastian, and although you can argue this is an example of my Northwest-y "subtle racism" if you like, I think it just means I'm an idiot. In fact I think it reveals I am attracted to that random guy, for some reason. Sorry, guy, whoever you are, for being confused for a rich and famous person, or for being a rich and famous person I don't know.

And thanks for the help, you. The guy I believed to be P. Diddy, and still believe to be P. Diddy, is in the photo above, standing behind Mr. Washington.

⇒ Further reading on the subject of subtle Northwest "racism": David Schmader's brilliant, sincere regret in the 2008 Regrets Issue regarding two non-white performers he confused with one another, in the presence of one another.

Comments (26) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
The guy in the hat standing in front of him sure looks like Denzel Washington though.
Posted by ESLA on January 23, 2009 at 10:16 PM · Report this
If "all black people look alike when they wear shades and a diamond earring" makes you just an idiot, then so be it. That guy a) doesn't look like Diddy, and b) outweighs him by about 50 pounds. But they yeah, they totally look identical and you are in no way racist for not being able to tell the difference. Simple mistake.
Posted by Amused on January 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM · Report this
the unwashed thinkers at MeFi are pulling to get the whole pic posted on flickr, so it can be collectively annotated. i think that's a great idea.
Posted by mike on January 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM · Report this
Oh, and don't worry. There's nothing subtle about your racism.
Posted by Amused on January 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM · Report this
Belle and Sebastian's nothing to be ashamed of. Were there any black people there that day who weren't rappers?
Posted by Fnarf on January 23, 2009 at 10:47 PM · Report this
No, really. I went to UW Law so that I could afford the earrings and designer glasses it takes to look like a rapper. Thanks for pointing out that no matter what I do, I'll always be entertainment to you. Simple mistake, who could blame you?
Posted by Amused on January 23, 2009 at 10:57 PM · Report this
Oh hey, is that the cleaning crew?
Posted by Christifer Phrizzelle on January 23, 2009 at 11:12 PM · Report this
Amused, you are really into this! Our correspondent posts a trifling funny item copping to an embarrassing faux pas with race as part of the content. You launch into a campaign making him out to be some sort of Limbaughian bigot. I don't know, seems a little harsh.
Posted by neither of them looks like Diddy to me on January 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM · Report this
I'm glad you think it's trifling. Kind of proves my point.
Posted by Amused on January 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM · Report this
You really should cop to the assumption made, rather than calling it a mistake. Admitting culpability is white racism, which is really what this is, would be empowering for you, perhaps. one white guy to another, you done fucked up, Frizzelly dog!
Posted by one to another on January 23, 2009 at 11:49 PM · Report this
A black guy with earrings and a goatee... must be P Diddy. Except for the fact that the guy in the photo is about 100 pounds heavier.

Don't worry Christopher it's not subtle racism, you're just semi-retarded.
Posted by Tyra Banks on January 24, 2009 at 12:24 AM · Report this
Yeah but isn't that Snoop next to him
Posted by knobtheunicorn on January 24, 2009 at 1:26 AM · Report this
Actually, I saw a better shot of both of them elsewhere, and that IS Diddy, standing behind Denzel. The reason he looks fat is because he's bundled up for the cold.
Posted by Scalpel on January 24, 2009 at 3:06 AM · Report this

His name is Sean Paul, geezer.
Posted by Geezer Buster on January 24, 2009 at 5:09 AM · Report this
When did P Diddy start going out with Erykah Badu?
Posted by Steve Smith on January 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM · Report this
I can't tell if Geezer Buster is making a joke or not, but Diddy's name isn't Sean Paul. It's Sean Combs. Sean Paul is a reggae star.

Posted by frank on January 24, 2009 at 10:36 AM · Report this
Give yourself a break—your real crime here is not following the tabloids. I'm-a trump you in the cracker-geezer department, but I can identify P. Diddy on sight. (And Marc Anthony, and Gabriel Autry, and Lil Wayne, and Solange Knowles, and Ali Lohan...)

You damned anti-celebratist.
Posted by grannycracker on January 24, 2009 at 10:49 AM · Report this
This whole thing about thinking this guy looking like P. Diddy being racist is bullshit! Everybody kind of looks like somebody.
Posted by elswinger on January 24, 2009 at 11:49 AM · Report this
I am notoriously bad at recognizing faces, so neither of those guys looked like Diddy to me and I couldn't tell that the other guy was Denzel, either. So, from my perspective, this was a mistake, and one that just as easily could have happened with a white celebrity.
Posted by Julie in Eugene on January 24, 2009 at 1:25 PM · Report this
That IS Diddy and Denzel! At least according to our favorite paper...The Wall Street Journal.

Posted by mrpickles on January 24, 2009 at 1:55 PM · Report this
Wow
Posted by Obama on January 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM · Report this
If you follow the link to http://blogs.thetimes.co.za/minor/2009/0… you will see that Denzel was wearing this outfit. http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/1277 here is another link...that actually is Diddy.
Posted by MeowMix on January 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM · Report this
That guy does look a little like P. Diddy.
Posted by croydonfacelift on January 25, 2009 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Sean Paul looks a little like Sean Combs.
Posted by croydonfacelift on January 25, 2009 at 12:39 PM · Report this
All you non-muppets look the same to me. Just sayin'.
Posted by Cookie W. Monster on January 25, 2009 at 3:27 PM · Report this
The most offensive part of this whole debacle is the writer's compulsion to brandish his ignorance in front of his readership. As if we'll be entertained by it.

Why not ask somebody in the office? Like, turn around and ask someone in person and in private? Or why not just go online and find a picture of Diddy and answer your own question yourself?

Because you think so highly of yourself that any blather that enters your mind must be published for the edification of all.

Jesus, dude, get a grip. You are a pretentious asshole.

Posted by HeyLookatMe on January 25, 2009 at 4:42 PM · Report this