Line Out Music & the City at Night

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Tullycraft's Last Seattle Show at the New Crocodile

Posted by on Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 4:05 PM

ddbc/1238972323-tullycraft1.jpgLast night's Three Imaginary Girls' Top of the Croc party was the first time I had seen the new Crocodile since it opened its doors in March. My first impression: It felt a lot like a fictional rock club built for a teen movie. It's just too perfect.

I think it's the combination of everything—the newness of the space (it still smells like paint), the perfect and polished feel of the stage area (high, carpeted stage framed by dark curtains and totally pro light rigs), and the fact that there was not a single poster, flier, piece or art, or tag anywhere on the walls of the showroom. It felt... fake. But I didn't hate it! It just felt new. It felt big. It felt nothing at all like the old space and I guess that's sorta the point, so well done you, Crocodile. (Now will someone please hang something up on the goddamn wall?)

More notable than my thoughts on the new Croc, though, is the fact that last night's show was also the last show local pop-quintet Tullycraft will ever (supposedly) play in Seattle. I know, right? Until now, they had kept the news sorta quiet so as to not make a big deal about it. The band isn't breaking up completely, they're just breaking up with shows. While they'll continue to play music—write new songs and probably even release records—they're just not going to play live anymore. Which is a bummer, because they're a lot of fun live! In fact, I prefer them live to on record.e69b/1238972530-tullycraft2.jpg

So when singer Sean Tollefson said "This is our last song..." and then thanked the crowd, again, for all their support, everyone in the room cheered and exchanged bittersweet smiles with one another before bouncing and bopping and signing along with the band one last time.

Just as Spring comes in, the most sonically appropriate band for the new season exits. So in celebration of Tullycraft (and this weather), here are a few jams from their website. Listen, dance, and maybe even hope that after awhile, the band will miss playing live and give it another whirl:

Tullycraft - "Rebel With the Gang Debs"

Tullycraft - "Glitter & Twangs"

Tullycraft - "Stowaway"

Photos by Robby via Flickr.

Comments (9) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
I am still in denial that this was actually their last local performance, guh.
Posted by josh bomb on April 5, 2009 at 4:18 PM · Report this
They sounded so good last night!
Posted by Explorer on April 5, 2009 at 7:38 PM · Report this
Don't you think this "last show" is like the Who, and they'll be doing further "last shows" for the next thirty years? Although if the bass player marries a 13-year-old and drops dead in bed with a hooker and a snootful of cocaine, it's a problem, since he sings and writes the songs.

It's interesting seeing the Strangler go all pro-Tullycraft. Do you remember when your newspaper printed a review entitled "Froggy Goes A-Courting"?

Only good band that's ever come from Seattle.
Posted by Fnarf on April 5, 2009 at 8:30 PM · Report this
when indie pop bands from seattle go on tour, kids in toledo ohio and athens georgia and denton texas ask them about two bands: nirvana and tullycraft. your newfound ability to pay attention is better late then never, stranger.
Posted by jdm on April 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM · Report this
Tullycraft's "last show" should have been a solo show. Cramming them in with three other bands was an A+ dumb idea.

And the show was really super duper screwed up by a gawdawful mix on the sound which had bass so heavy you'd think it was a car stereo competition. That heavy bass muddied up the sound aplenty with a lot of the light elements of bioth iji and Tullycraft getting buried in BOOM BOOM BOOM.

(Really too bad for iji as this was probably a lot of people's first exposure to them. Fortunately their fun and energy still came through.) (Boat, who sound great on record, just seemed not up to playing. This was my first Boat show so I don't know if that's them always or just that night.)

The volume was also insanely loud for the size of the room. (Maybe the sound peoples also work for Stereo's & Such and knows all everyone wants is "Lots of bass and loud!")

The Crocodile seems a good venue (and swanky men's room, damn!) but at the risk of such for crap sound I ain't hitting another show there.

Posted by meaninglessbark on April 6, 2009 at 12:28 PM · Report this
@5 I agree Tullycraft's sound was a little bass-heavy for their lighter pop sound, but I didn't think it was too loud at all. In fact I took out my earplugs halfway through because I felt I didn't need them.

And Boat was fun, but they have had more energy in past shows.
Posted by Megan Seling on April 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM · Report this
oh well

BRING ON THE CRAYON REUNION!
Posted by mackro mackro on April 6, 2009 at 12:53 PM · Report this
looking forward to the Incredible Force of Junior & Natalie & 6 Cents & Crayone re-releases now.
Posted by jb on April 6, 2009 at 1:42 PM · Report this
...i thought tullycraft was disappointing... liked boat & iji; apparently megan seling didnt walk around the new croc much, since the hallway and upstairs loft (with bar!) are packed full with fabulous framed showposters from the croc of yesteryear. and the croc had great sound!! i don't get it when people stand in acoustic dead zones and whine about sound quality. ...great venue!
Posted by pikachou on April 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM · Report this