Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reggie Watts: Savant - Looper

Posted by on Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Long lost Seattle soul Reggie Watts is a one man flotilla of sound. He’s a beat boxing savant. His act flows from comedy into layers of beats and patchwork rap. He goes from multiple languages to gibberish to whale song gangsterdom. Reggie, once Seattle based, sang and sings for the band Maktub, who are releasing a free album called Five on June, 23rd. Now though, he is more focused on his solo, comedic, sound form act and tours the world non stop. He's in Australia now.

Reggie was just on the Late Night with Jimmy Fallon show. See it - here. (Great overhead HD shot of his Line 6.)

Reggie gave a Line Out interview at a performance with Seattle's Pegasus. He spoke about his gear, his afro, and the nine foot tall stuffed lion that’s standing behind him:

Reggie is a loop maker. He uses the Line 6 DL4:

0276/1242333984-dl4.jpg

and the Electro Harmonix 2880:

9315/1242334075-2880.jpg

Comments (14) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
I don't know what I would do without my DL-4. Trent, nice to have you back!
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on May 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM · Report this
2 Comment Pulled (No) Comment Policy
Welcome back, Trent. Another interesting post.
Posted by jon.e.rock on May 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM · Report this
Secrets, I can't fault a guy for trying to "get a nut."

Hell, who isn't?

Also, welcome back Trent. Where the fuck you been?
Posted by Jeff on May 14, 2009 at 2:45 PM · Report this
Ah, Secret. I think actually it was your girlfriend who called him.

Insecure much?

Posted by Secret's Secret on May 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM · Report this
codyh 6
Trent! So glad to see you back. Line Out misses you! Nice piece btw, Ive always wanted to know what gear he used. - Code
Posted by codyh http://www.facebook.com/theyoungevils on May 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM · Report this
Sure Jeff, you can't fault a guy for trying to get a nut. But if they're going about it in such a manor then maybe it's time for a new strategy, maybe even a new thought process??
& Secrets secret, my girlfriend, no. My reliable sources girlfriend, no. But, by the way you typed out your well thought out response, & judging by your response time, I'm thinking someones insecure, but it ain't me.
Posted by Secrets on May 14, 2009 at 3:39 PM · Report this
yay! more gear threads. i missed you trent!
Posted by kdiddy on May 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM · Report this
I was just about to put an APB out on your ass, Trent. I will call off the hounds.

Keep em coming.
Posted by paulus on May 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM · Report this
PS - in regards to this previous post on looping:

I ended up getting the Akai Headrush 2 and enjoyed it, but needed something more, so I went with the Boss RC-20XL and I LOVE IT!

Lots of time, stores a bunch of loops, clean sounds. I can get lost for hours just building layers.

Hooray!
Posted by paulus on May 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM · Report this
cosby 11
I agree with the atypically unsnarky comment thread, more gear posts from Trent would be awesome!
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on May 15, 2009 at 10:10 AM · Report this
Gear is great, gear good. Bless this gear to the nourishment of our bodies and our bodies to thy service.

Paulus, my Paulus, the Akai Headrush 2 sounds excellent. So glad that it found a good home.
Posted by trent on May 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM · Report this
We missed you bad Trent. Good to see you back. Great vid. Great fro.We missed you bad Trent. Good to see you back. Great vid. Great fro.
Posted by Troy on May 17, 2009 at 12:34 PM · Report this
Paulus, you are correct, the Akai Headrush 2 is the shit. I second your purchase. I think everyone out there should buy more gear.
Posted by Troy on May 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM · Report this