Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Choose Built to Spill's Capitol Hill Block Party Setlist!

Posted by on Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Built to Spill are playing the Capitol Hill Block Party on July 24th, and wouldn't you know it, they can't figure out what songs to play. I guess that's what happens after 17 years of being a band. But their indecisiveness is your gain—Built to Spill, KEXP, and The Stranger are giving the fans a chance to choose the setlist!

Below is a list is of every Built to Spill song the band has ever released, including some B-sides and covers. So, which song do you most want them to play? Vote for your favorite between now and July 18th, and then come Block Party time, Built to Spill will play the songs with the most votes. You can also vote at KEXP.org.

The Capitol Hill Block Party is July 24-25 and also features Sonic Youth, the Jesus Lizard, the Gossip, and many others (see full line-up here). Tickets are on sale now at Ticketswest.com, all Rudy's Barbershops, select QFC locations, and Moe Bar.

Comments (29) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
It's going to be awesome when Doug and Calvin rip through this, you are welcome!

1. "Snowfall" – 3:50

Posted by Jeff on June 18, 2009 at 10:25 AM · Report this
heywhatsit!? 2
You are sooooo hip.
Posted by heywhatsit!? on June 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM · Report this
BIG DIPPER BIG DIPPER
Posted by Nick on June 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM · Report this
vote for Preview (AKA Midnight Star)
Posted by Dutch on June 18, 2009 at 12:40 PM · Report this
andypixel 5
Way back in the day when Built to Spill played a show somewhere in Belltown (the Catholic Seaman's Club maybe?) they ended their set with the Treepeople song Funnelhead and I just about lost my shit. I now pray for a Treepeople cover every time I see them.
Posted by andypixel on June 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM · Report this
Can we vote for them to play a cover too? Book of Love "Boy" comes to mind for whatever reason. Also: Fuck the Police, Footsteps in the Dark, Rigor Mortis, Walk Don't Run, Stairway, Freebird, Human Fly. Sweet Young Thing Ain't Sweet No More. What else... the best song by whatever band plays before them? The best song by whatever band plays after them?
Posted by Strath http://pacific-standard.blogspot.com on June 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM · Report this
To my knowledge "The Last Long Song" is the most obscure BTS tune ever recorded and has never once been performed live.

I dare you to prove me wrong.
Posted by Jeff on June 18, 2009 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Christ, Please no Cortez the Killer!
Posted by gillsans on June 18, 2009 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Roosevelt 9
@5 - YES! That was my first BTS show, must have been 1995. I was instantly sold!

@4 - "I feel so lost inside, where can I hide? This seems so real to me, this angst inside of me!" Hilarious stuff! I always wondered what the BTS mascot would be, the one who says "Look for the record with MEEE on the cover!"
Posted by Roosevelt http://www.youtube.com/user/matthewcobrien?feature=mhum on June 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM · Report this
1. So and so so and so from wherever wherever
2. Car
3. Halo Bender
4. Kicked it in the Sun
5. Goin Against your Mind
6. Planned Obsolescence
7. The Plan

Encore
8. Bring it on Home
9. All Along the Watchtower (Hendrix)
Posted by kirby vs. bear on June 18, 2009 at 4:27 PM · Report this
I've never understood BTS fans love for Carry the Zero. It doesn't do any thing for me. Built to Long would be great, I wonder if they have every played that live.
Posted by tictoc on June 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM · Report this
@4,9: OMG yes! Didn't even see that on the first scan. Although I'm also partial to "By the Way".

I have always assumed "MEEEE" was Punky:
Posted by RL is too lazy to log in on June 18, 2009 at 6:17 PM · Report this
Goddamnit.
Just google "sub pop" "punky" for the full URL.
Posted by RL is too lazy to log in on June 18, 2009 at 7:00 PM · Report this
am i the only one who voted for "temporarily blind"?

@11 CTZ is such a great song!
Posted by everythings gonna be alright on June 18, 2009 at 9:45 PM · Report this
If I could have voted for Freebird I totally would have.
Posted by JaredRules on June 19, 2009 at 11:37 AM · Report this
FREEBIRD!
Posted by Bamber on June 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM · Report this
nipper 17
Fuck B2S, gimme a treepople reuinon!
Posted by nipper on June 23, 2009 at 2:09 PM · Report this
Scott Schmaljohn plays guitar on a new track that may or may make it on to the next record.

That's probably as close as you will get Nip.

You may remember that Pat Brown is no longer with us and without him I can't see Doug revisiting the Treeps.
Posted by Jeff on June 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM · Report this
@17, 18: At least the Halo Benders are getting back together!
Posted by Eric Grandy on June 23, 2009 at 3:41 PM · Report this
I heard them do Free Bird once. I vote for that.
Posted by CheckYourself on June 23, 2009 at 8:08 PM · Report this
I've also seen doug do freebird, six guitars wide.
Posted by rutabaga pie on June 25, 2009 at 2:16 PM · Report this
Mahtli69 22
YES, FREEBIRD!!!
Posted by Mahtli69 on June 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM · Report this
I vote for Preview
Posted by aperock on June 27, 2009 at 5:28 PM · Report this
a/o 24
Tickets are also on sale at all Urban Outfitters!
Posted by a/o on July 1, 2009 at 9:11 PM · Report this
Joewest 25
heck I don't know who those people are the capital hill block party party on its gotta B Good. are don't believe the hype.
Posted by Joewest http://www.Joewest.com on July 11, 2009 at 8:58 AM · Report this
A man needs lovin
A woman needs a man to love
And I'll hold on to you
My midnight star
Posted by aperock on July 16, 2009 at 10:15 PM · Report this
cause baby you know I'm a rebel
I'm a rambler
Posted by mmmazes on July 19, 2009 at 4:24 AM · Report this
Seriously--people actually want bts to play some lame covers rather than their own stuff?! Treepeople--yes! Halobenders--yes, but only if CJ is making a guest appearance--which he is not! Neil Young--NO! Lynard S.--HELL NO! What happened to the Doug M. who used to respond to his crowd, "we don't know any Cars" when they began yelling for this over-played piece, and then continue to play Handcuffs by the Treepeople instead? Please don't abuse this opportunity by making them waist 8+ minutes on some less than amazing covers.
Posted by gaper on July 23, 2009 at 11:02 PM · Report this
Wish I had seen that show Andy!
Velvet waltz