Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, July 10, 2009

Every (Nearly "Liberated") Picture Tells a Story

Posted by on Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Blue Moon talent booker Jason Josephes relates this incident involving the Abodox after last night’s show with Diminished Men, Wah Wah Exit Wound, and the Abodox:

You probably noticed the painting behind the stage, the one with all the beer cans. It was done by our bartender Mary McIntyre.

So I noticed the Abadox drummer admiring the painting during load-in. It's a frequent occurrence, given the nature of the artwork.

While the band is loading out, I notice their drummer trying to smuggle something out the door behind their amps. Turns out it was the very same painting. I busted him on the spot and got nothing but a bunch of smart-ass conjecture. He told one of our regulars that he loved the painting and, since no one else could possibly appreciate its majesty, he decided to liberate it.

He put his time into it — the painting was secured to the wall via a mounting. His unleashing involved unscrewing the painting from the wall. This was not a drunken grab. It was a painstaking labor. I admit that I was not paying attention to the stage at the time, but it's rare that a band tries to steal from us. We run a good ship.

When accosted outside, I was met with nothing but a smart-ass attitude. "Yeah, I tried to steal your painting and I got caught," he said. "I don't know what the big deal is."

The other band members weren't much help. I gave them the benefit of the doubt — they didn't steal anything — but surely they must have been aware of their drummer's doings. And the more I and some of our regulars laid into him about it, the more flip and sarcastic he became. It took a lot of resistance to not make things physical, especially as the harangues kept on coming. He just plastered on a shit eating grin on his face and continued to flaunt his transgression.

What sucks is that he ruined an otherwise fantastic night of music. What sucks even more is that I paid the band before one of the members decided to go all jackass on us.

When I told him word would be getting out about this, he smiled even bigger and said to yes, by all means, let people know what he did. So here you go.

I’ve contacted Thomas-Kennedy to get his side of the story, which I’ll report as soon as he responds.

UPDATE: Here is Benjamin Thomas-Kennedy's response to Josephes' recounting of last night's post-gig incident:

First off, yes there was an attempt to free the painting from the venue; but I, Benjamin Thomas-Kennedy the drummer from the Abodox, was not present at the venue when this occurred. I had already gone home to get some sleep as I had to go to work in the morning at my day job at the Frye Art Museum. That's right, I guard art for a living. I will not throw any of my band mates under the bus though as it is our policy to stick together and support each other's actions...and mistakes. None of us did anything to stop this, so I guess you could say we are all to blame.

Its true that time and care was put into the heist. We respect the work and did not want to damage it. A "drunken grab" would have been much worse as it may have hurt the art which would have been a huge tragedy. We had no intention of getting away with it or damaging it. The painting is fucking huge and to think that it could be easily removed and walked out with is a ridiculous notion. I guess you could say that it was our way of showing our appreciation. we had no intention of keeping or hurting the art which, again, we fully appreciate.

When confronted, we owned up to it and returned the painting. Then in a moment of severe overreaction, we were violently threatened with physical accosting. The specifics of what was said are vague at best, but we did not resist or require this aggression at all. The venue even took some of our gear to "teach us a lesson." Thankfully, they returned it, just as the painting was unresistingly given back to them.

Also, we would like to confirm and defend what was perceived as our "smart ass-attitude" in the face of the staff's aggressive behavior and words. After apologizing repeatedly, it seems nothing more could be done to calm the situation as escalating threats were directed towards us. We are not liars.

JJ is also right that it was a great night. it always is at the Blue Moon and we understand how our actions soured it as such. We have been playing there for over 8 years and we would hate it if last night was our last set there. We are sorry for all the fuss. It was a fucked up thing to do and it won't happen again. We love the Blue Moon and we are sorry for being dumb asses. We have nothing but respect for the venue, the art, and the artist. We sincerely apologize.

As for the show itself, I had to leave before headliners the Abodox played (and thus obviously missed the drama), but Diminished Men acquitted themselves well without their bassist Simon Henneman, deftly moving through smoky, chiaroscuro-enhanced instrumentals that sounded as if they could be gracing Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns and Quentin Tarantino crime thrillers.

Wah Wah Exit Wound followed, playing songs that were so serpentine and knotty, they must have taken 10-hour rehearsal days to master them. Seriously. These labyrinthine pieces sound great—especially sans vocals—while they’re happening (thankfully, they aren’t fooling about the wah-wah part of their moniker), but they’re very hard to retain in your brain afterward. They dissipate like passages from a book written in a language you only half understand. But during them, it’s like riding a roller coaster in a forest full of pine trees. Compliment.

Comments (129) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Good luck getting another shows D-bags
Posted by duah on July 10, 2009 at 4:13 PM · Report this
devices 2
Someone claiming to be Thomas-Kennedy on SoundontheSound's comments says he wasn't even there that night. Maybe they played with a different drummer or he has a clone on the loose or the Blue Moon people are lying/exaggerating. Sent him a link hoping he'll respond to LineOut.
Posted by devices http://www.myspace.com/devicesruletheworld on July 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM · Report this
Someone should "liberate" his drum kit.
Posted by Josh Black on July 10, 2009 at 4:32 PM · Report this
Jason Josephes 4
Thomas-Kennedy is saying it isn't him. I've heard that as well. If I have incorrectly identified the individual in question, I'll gladly apologize and give credit to the individual who was in the process of taking a stolen painting out the door as witnessed by both employees and patrons. I wouldn't wanna lay the blame on the wrong person.

That said, it is not cool to steal from any venue. What really hurt the most in this situation is that someone from one of the other acts playing that night witnessed the individual in question removing the painting (which must have taken a bit -- it was screwed into the wall) and didn't say anything. He said he didn't know what to do, probably not wanting to be a snitch. But my God, tell somebody! Certainly other band members witnessed this as well. Good thing the painting was large and clearly visible behind the amp he was trying to roll out the door.
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on July 10, 2009 at 4:45 PM · Report this
Blue Moon sucks!
Posted by fuck that place on July 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM · Report this
Jason Josephes 6
OK, I apologize for mis-identifying the individual. However, the whole of the story still checks out: The Abodox tried to steal a painting from us. When caught, they claim it to be a joke. Not very believable. And this was after I paid them $100 for what was otherwise a fine set.

For those who haven't seen the painting, it's here:

That was done by our bartender Mary McIntyre. She's a gifted artist. I'd rather be talking about her work instead of the guys who thought it would be fun to plan their own little art heist.

I also did not take any of the band's gear.

I did yell a lot and I don't regret that at all. It's what I'm good at.

But thanks to the folks who were all riled up by the actions of some simpleton minstrels. It's nice to know a lot of people care about Seattle's most unique venue.
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on July 10, 2009 at 5:10 PM · Report this
mackro 7
As someone who owns Abodox music, i say this definitely qualifies as a "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?" thing on the part of the band... really disappointing, if that response is the real thing.
Posted by mackro http://mackro.blogspot.com on July 10, 2009 at 5:13 PM · Report this
Man, if I wasn't on my way to disliking this band thoroughly after hearing JJ"s recounting, their response/excuse sealed the deal. That has to be the lamest excuse ever. I’m sure every thief is just trying to ‘liberate something’ they ‘truly appreciate.’

Good luck trying to book a gig at The Blue Moon, or anywhere else in this town -- who do you think you are, Mad Rad?
Posted by Abbey on July 10, 2009 at 5:40 PM · Report this
I wonder what the Frye would think about their guard being implicated in an attempted art theft? Someone oughta give them a call.

Fucking douchebags.
Posted by abodoxsucks on July 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 10
yeah, this is one of those shrug your shoulders incidents.
oops, beer induces bad decision making.
my guess, it is best to just part ways at this point.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on July 10, 2009 at 5:55 PM · Report this
"Then in a moment of severe overreaction, we were violently threatened with physical accosting."

was it from Ralph Kramden?

"Pow! Right in the kisser." Poor little guys...

I would likely overreact much more "severe"ly than just saying some words if I caught someone stealing art from me then acting like assclowns when busted.
Posted by bookers read lineout on July 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM · Report this
laterite 12
Sounds like a bunch of pathetic fucking excuses to me. Fuck not with mr josephes, he will fuck you right back. Always loved playing the blue moon.
Posted by laterite on July 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM · Report this
Isn't Mary McIntyre also known as Burnett Down of the Rat City Rollergirls? I'd be afraid to steal anything from her. She's made of violence!
Posted by Monty on July 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Jason Josephes 14
I agree with 9. The Frye must love how one of their security guards is involved with trying to steal a work by a local artist, drunken hijinx or not.

This is the first time I've had to deal with someone stealing art from the bar, but if you think the work of small-time criminals (and even smaller time musicians) is gonna keep us from offering hanging space for select artists, think again.

Again, thanks Dave for coming down last night and great reporting on this foolish incident. Your next beer's on me.
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on July 10, 2009 at 6:34 PM · Report this
I Dorando Hodous, bassist for the Abodox, will accept full responsibility for not stopping the drunken actions of our new guitar player of two years, which I saw taking place as we were loading our equipment out of the venue. Just to re-iterate before I go any further, Benjamin had already left with his drums when this occured. We've been playing around this town for 10 years now, and the Blue Moon being one of the first venues in town to give us a show, makes this incident rather unfortunate and uncomfortable. I sincerely know that we as a whole are very sorry about this. Everyone makes mistakes, and sometimes we all have a few too many drinks and do something stupid, and while I'm no stranger to it myself, I will say that I've seen our guitarist make several whilst under the influence, even within the confines of my own home. I won't go into detail on this as I don't believe it is necessary, but such occurances should have given me the foresight and inclination of responsiblity to interfere and do something to stop the situation from unfolding the way that it did, and for this I am most sorry. We were trying to be professional in our formal response, but it is difficult to say anything about what occured as being "professional" in any way, shape, or form and it is regrettable that I am even here responding in this moment now, instead of last night properly. A totally lame response indeed, how embarrassing, my sincere apologies to the Blue Moon, our friends, and fans. What the fuck were we thinking? We weren't.
Posted by JohnSpecies on July 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM · Report this
That's some grad A douchebaggery! Way to give local bands a bad name.
Posted by giffy on July 10, 2009 at 6:35 PM · Report this
sounds like a bitch ass excuse to me
Jack josephs shoud check out the bands myspace page and give all the venues there scheduled to play a heads up about these thieves, I would like to know about this if these guys were coming to my place.
Posted by olddude on July 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM · Report this
Jason Josephes 18
13: The one in the same, that's her. She's also the woman on our sign, logo, etc.
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on July 10, 2009 at 6:37 PM · Report this
It sucks that the painting was almost stolen, but you caught them and they'll probably never be able to play there again, so this passive-aggressive email rant is unnecessarily petty, especially when you're naming the wrong band member.

Lots of bands get drunk and trash shit. This was no Zeppelin-style trashing, it was a not very well-concealed drunken smuggling. In my opinion, Mr. Josephes should have a thicker skin and get over it. You've already won this "war," since you book the shows.
Posted by virginia mason on July 10, 2009 at 6:38 PM · Report this
@9 I emailed them!
Posted by giffy on July 10, 2009 at 6:39 PM · Report this
19... Drunkin antics are one thing, Stealing from a place that has helped support you for years sounds like a completly diffrent thing to me.. Pre-meditated antics is totally diffrent than this
Posted by crybaby on July 10, 2009 at 6:51 PM · Report this
@19 I'm not sure how this is passive-aggressive. Jason Joesephs told the band member in question that he would make sure word got out. Said band member tried to top him by basically saying "Fine, see if I care". And then, Mr. Joesephs did just as he said he would. This isn't passive-aggression. It is the regular old kind.
Posted by Mary is a super fox, check out her website on July 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM · Report this
The painting was returned but the theft still took place. So press charges if you give a shit. Actually, what I mean is: please press charges. This sort of bullshit deserves police involvement, seriously.
Posted by rubus on July 10, 2009 at 7:03 PM · Report this
OK, so none of you whiny little internet bitches have ever NEVER done anything bad drunk.
Posted by nice try armchair messiahs on July 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM · Report this
Read more about abodox antics here:

who are these guys anyway? child saving heroes? evil underworld art thieves? guys who make rock and roll? this is really not the worst thing dudes in a rock and roll band have ever done.
Posted by yourbloodlustisunfounded on July 10, 2009 at 7:11 PM · Report this

Posted by mad rad and abodox tour winter 2010! on July 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM · Report this
@24, no I have never stolen something while drunk. Being an adult comes with some kick ass privileges, but it also means taking responsibility for you actions.
Posted by giffy on July 10, 2009 at 7:25 PM · Report this
hey numbers 3, 9, and 20, the drummer wasn't even at the venue when the attempted theft occurred, has been cleared and apologized to, openly stated HIMSELF that he works at the Frye guarding art, and expressed his regrets and apologies about the whole situation.

he wasn't there, apologized anyway for something that wasn't his fault, and still gets the heat cause you can't read. well done sirs.
Posted by suzanne on July 10, 2009 at 7:32 PM · Report this
yo giffy! they admitted it! and apologized! in print, and several times! how the hell else are you supposed to "take responsibility for your actions?"

besides, i've been to the Blue Moon in the past and seen people LITERALLY pissing on the stage, with nary a talking to, much less an internet smear campaign.
Posted by suzanne on July 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM · Report this
@28: But he also says the band has a strong ethic of covering for each other, including mistakes. Fair enough, that's even kind of admirable. But that also makes it fair to tar the whole band with the "despicable thieves" brush. Really? Stealing art that was *made* by someone at the venue? That's pretty low.

If people are going to play "all one one, one for all", the rest of us get to hold the whole group accountable.
Posted by also on July 10, 2009 at 7:46 PM · Report this
27 - how about being a fucking cocksmoker and calling the dudes work WHEN WE WASN'T EVEN AT THE INCIDENT????
Posted by fucking idiot on July 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM · Report this
Seattle is so fucking filled with hall monitors and nerdy fucking whiny brats it sometimes me wonder how rock and roll even can fucking exist in such a city. Reporting someone who wasn't even involved in a theft to his employer is mean spirited. I think all of your post-puritanical ravings and judgements are way uglier than what appears to be a stupid prank. I know abodox, and they are wonderful fellas. I think it just makes all of you feel good to be able to passive aggressively beat some one down via the internet. Very small and very cowardly. Are you expecting all the clubs to ban any band that does something you don't agree with too? Where does it end? I think their apologies here should suffice. Let it go........
Posted by oliver cromwell on July 10, 2009 at 7:51 PM · Report this
Lee 33
@32: "Are you expecting all the clubs to ban any band that does something you don't agree with too? Where does it end?"

Don't agree with? Seriously? They fucking tried to steal art from someone who was giving them a great gig. That's not a difference of opinion over how the word "tomato" is pronounced. It is a difference of opinion about whether or not people you don't know personally matter at all.

Bottom line is this: if you say my rights, property, and feelings do not matter, I have no reason to respect yours. At all. Such is the social contract.
Posted by Lee on July 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM · Report this
Uh, what part of "Stealing Is Wrong" is so hard to fucking understand?

1. Don't Steal
2. Don't Be An Asshole When You Get Caught Stealing
3. Don't Steal
4. Don't Cover For Your Stealing Friends
5. Don't Be An Asshole When You Are Covering For Your Friend Who Got Caught Stealing
6. Don't Be An Asshole Who Allows Stealing To Happen
7. Respect A Person's Fucking Art Work That She Painstakingly Painted In Amazing Detail
8. No Guitarist Who Steals In Front Of Your Fucking Face Is So Good You Should Look The Other Way
9. A Person Who Steals Will Steal From You Eventually, The Guy Stole The Band's Credibility and Trustworthiness
10. Don't Be An Asshole Who Steals Or An Asshole That Tolerates Stealing

Posted by TT Diamond on July 10, 2009 at 8:48 PM · Report this
Wow. Get the fuck over it. I vote the band apologizes in person, and then offers to play a free gig at the venue. Then I vote that the Blue Moon accepts this offer and acts like a bunch of adults. Then I vote the band pays the artist involved to create their next album art.

Seriously, I'm like the fucking United Nations of Metal!
Posted by Donutspal on July 10, 2009 at 9:07 PM · Report this
@35: A reasonable solution. Or maybe the band writes an honest, full-effort song and gifts it to the artist whose work they tried to steal, right and all. Something that displays actual make-good effort and not the whiny non-apology that we see so much of today.

@32: They're great guys, sure. And thieves. The reaction here wouldn't be so strong if they had just stolen stage lighting or cables or something. These are people making art, hoping to be paid for performing, and they steal another artist's piece, from a venue that's paying them. That's so tremendously fucked up.
Posted by also on July 10, 2009 at 9:42 PM · Report this
what a complete ass. "liberate" indeed. let's greet those morons as liberators.
Posted by jen zwick on July 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM · Report this
This post has gotten funny.

Mary, I'm glad your painting wasn't stolen. That would have bummed me out. I first saw it a couple years ago and thought it was a photograph. It's cool shit. Again, I'm glad it wasn't stolen.

Being drunk is fine and being stupid is fine, but please people, try to be respectful as you do your drunken stupid stuff. Thank you for apologizing, boys.

Posted by miss on July 10, 2009 at 11:28 PM · Report this
emor 39
Act like a shithead, people start thinking you're a shithead. Find a better way to apologize, perhaps one that does not insult the word "liberate."

Obviously, Blue Moon shouldn't let them play a show for free as an apology-- what if they try and steal something? That guy is a thief.
Posted by emor on July 11, 2009 at 12:13 AM · Report this
The sort of people who do the type of stupid shit drunk that wrecks their personal and professional reputations because it is not just a prank, but total fucking transgressive bullshit, they usually end up either quitting drinking or doing nothing but drinking. So five years from now I would expect to hear this story from the members of the band either at an AA meeting, or from mumbling bums going on about how the band they were once in could have been huge.
Posted by Rain Monkey http://classifieds.thestranger.com/seattle/ViewAd?oid=oid%3A68649 on July 11, 2009 at 12:16 AM · Report this
Eric Arrr 41
Abodox: if, by some chance, you guys ever record any music worth paying for... I won't. Love,

- me.

Posted by Eric Arrr on July 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM · Report this
" We respect the work and did not want to damage it. A "drunken grab" would have been much worse as it may have hurt the art which would have been a huge tragedy. We had no intention of getting away with it or damaging it. The painting is fucking huge and to think that it could be easily removed and walked out with is a ridiculous notion. I guess you could say that it was our way of showing our appreciation. we had no intention of keeping or hurting the art which, again, we fully appreciate.

When confronted, we owned up to it and returned the painting. Then in a moment of severe overreaction, we were violently threatened with physical accosting."

He sounds like a passive-aggressive child, possibly with a personality disorder. They were honorable when they tried to steal the painting! When they were caught, they weren't going to keep it! Those mean meanies threatened to hurt loveable us!

What a worthless piece of shit, and a transparent scumbag to boot.
Posted by i've heard better excuses from misbehaving toddlers on July 11, 2009 at 1:23 AM · Report this
"I Dorando Hodous, bassist for the Abodox, will accept full responsibility for not stopping the drunken actions of our new guitar player of two years, which I saw taking place as we were loading our equipment out of the venue."

Cool, but you should also talk to the rest of your band members about making backhanded non-apologies that make you guys look like idiots.

"Josephes, you spreading this around like a gossiping little fairy is only going to drive you down into the ground. The Blue Moon isn't exactly a top choice for bands, and just because you've cleaned up the dirty shithole bar in the last couple years doesn't make you King of Seattle.

I've seen a ton more fucked up stuff happen with bands, and you blabbing like a 3rd grade schoolgirl only solidifies our theory that you are a fucking cheesepoof."

INTERNET WARRIOR MACHISMOSO IS ON THE CASE, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN

who the fuck cares whether the blue moon sucks or not, you sound undereducated and your schoolyard crush on Josephes is irrelevant from why this was a terribly stupid event out of "world's dumbest criminals"

i thoroughly expect you guys to be the next to try to rob a 7-11 and knock yourself out in the process
Posted by you come off more like juggalos than mad rad on July 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM · Report this
jmahlon 44
They should press charges. They should have called the police and these disrespectful with very limited talent I'm sure to jail. People like the punks in the band are wastes of skin. They are everything that is wrong with this world.

Their apology is weightless. They aren't sorry they are sorry they were caught. Bunch of scumbag self absorbed talentless hacks.
Posted by jmahlon on July 11, 2009 at 8:37 AM · Report this
jmahlon 45
This article has pissed me off so much this morning...I found their myspace page and I'm contacting all their upcoming venues to warn them to bolt down anything valuable.
Posted by jmahlon on July 11, 2009 at 8:46 AM · Report this
Book 'em, Danno.
Posted by RonK, Seattle on July 11, 2009 at 9:18 AM · Report this
@36, you said the second part PERFECTLY.

HOWEVER, a free show is just a "free" gig for the band...exposure they don't deserve. A song written as an apology would benefit THEM more as well. i do see where you were going with that though. i just think it's a little too nice.

My suggestion: BAN THEM. FOR LIFE. it's the same policy that MOST stores have. i know what some of you might think...'banning...that just makes them seem like rock stars!' and it might, until you get the word out that THEY STEAL SHIT (and not just "shit" but other peoples' art!)!!! and i'm guessing they're not good enough to overcome that stigma.

look, all the fans of this band on this forum need to REALIZE that Abodox f'd up.
1. You don't get to TRY to steal something of actual VALUE from a show and not get shit for it. (oh, and if you "weren't going to keep it", why take the time to UNSCREW IT FROM THE WALL?)
2. You DEFINITELY don't get to get CAUGHT stealing and then try and give the PEOPLE WHO CAUGHT YOU ATTITUDE! (are you guys really that retarded?)
3. (and this is my favorite) You don't come on the internet where someone wrote about your band NEGATIVELY and give a non-apology where you basically try to validate your reasons for "liberating" the piece of ART from the establishment that ACTUALLY PAID you to perform there! (and by they way douches...MANY struggling bands would LOVE to play at the Blue Moon. they'd PAY to play there! so, you can check the "Abodox is too good for the Blue Moon" attitude at the door.
Posted by don't come around here no more on July 11, 2009 at 9:29 AM · Report this
Guys, a guitar player who has been with you for two years isn't "new". You are trying, and failing at distancing yourself from this person.
Posted by wah on July 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM · Report this
yucca flower 49
Jesus Christ! What a bunch of dim wankers! "Liberate"? How fucking pretentious! You'll do a "free" gig to make up for it? Why? You wanna nother crack at getting the painting? You want free publicity? Fuck you, Abadox, you pack of entitled selfish dicks! There's plenty of bands in this town (plenty with more talent than you have I'll bet) and guess what, they don't fucking steal shit off their employers.

Joseph Josephes, press charges on these dumb twats! That's what any employer would do if they caught an employee stealing from a work site....along with getting shit canned. Why should musicians get special consideration? They're just employees or contract workers like any other. Oh, and the Drunk Drummer may have been the one who got caught but the rest went along with it, they should get the same charges, too!
Posted by yucca flower on July 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM · Report this
monkey 50
Art is such a personal thing. Stealing someone's art is NOT a compliment. And an apology that contains the word "but" in it is NOT an apology.

How would they feel if someone tried to take their guitar? Oh no biggy, he just really appreciated it? I don't think so.

What's sad is they have been playing there for years and they will likely never be allowed to play there again. They need to fire the two-year "new" band member and get one that has some respect for other people.
Posted by monkey on July 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM · Report this
That was not a fantastic night of music, btw. The Diminished men didn't have their bassist and the other two bands were terrible.
Posted by andrew http://seattletransitblog.com on July 11, 2009 at 11:11 AM · Report this
Posted by Balllroom on July 11, 2009 at 11:24 AM · Report this
This is Nathan from the Abodox,
I just thought I'd put my two cents in here since I am in the band and am now being dragged under the bus of being "guilty by association".
First off I'd like to say that we don't want to be misunderstood.... maybe we don't write very well but we are very, very deeply sorry!
One thousand apologies to the Blue Moon for the trouble that was caused and especially to Mary the artist. Nobody should have ever touched that painting!
I would also like to say that bands are made out of individuals. It is hard to keep track of everyones actions. Especially in the middle of trying to pack up and load out heavy equipment when its 1:30 in the morning and people are drunk! Now that is not an excuse... I'm just saying I'm sorry I didn't quite grasp the severity of what was happening and I'm sorry I couldn't stop it. I wasn't involved until it was to late.
10 years we've been a band in this town and this experience has helped me look back and realize that for a bunch of drunk rockers we have actually been upstanding citizens of the local scene... People want to tear us to shit now due to Blaine's poor choice. Thats fine I understand. Nobody should steal. Like its been said before stealing is wrong. I would be fucking mad too... I am mad. I can't imagine what was going through his head trying to walk out with this very large and obvious item let alone anything that wasn't his. But I can assure you if this was more than a stupid, drunk, spontaneous, bad joke and I saw this picture in our car?!? I would have demanded it returned and probably would have quit on the spot. I also wish I could have stopped the back and forth yelling afterwards which escalated this event into a mission to destroy us. I was just trying to get our stuff out of there before we caused anymore problems. All I wanted to say that night was I'm sorry and embarrassed.
Anyways, again I will say it...
We Apologies and feel terrible. I will make it my mission to make sure I'm paying more attention from now on.

Sorry Blue Moon. Lesson learned... severe punishment being taken.

P.S. Benjamin was blamed for all of this. That sucks because he truly had left. He doesn't deserve all the attacks and threats on his employment.
More...
Posted by guy who feels real bad on July 11, 2009 at 12:10 PM · Report this
#35, how about they go away and never get any exposure ever again, hmm? Then the police could be called, at least to discuss the admitted conspiracy? Then this unapologetic asshole's boss at the Frye could fire his thieving ass and make sure he never gets another security job again. Once a thief, always a thief.
Posted by that wouldn't be METAL though on July 11, 2009 at 12:28 PM · Report this
If the drummer left why am I reading this hearsay account from him? We we we we. Why don't you get someone who was actually there to write the apology?

Sorry dude, if you refuse to kick this guy out of the band and keep defending him in such a bullshit fashion then you deserve all the threats to your employment.
Posted by once a thief always a thief on July 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM · Report this
alright. it seems like MOST of the bandmembers have been on here and have ALL apologized...in one way or another.

simple message guys. FIRE the guy who got your into so much trouble in the first place, cause that probably won't be the last time it happens.

also, keep your mouths shut and be at least semi-professional when dealing with the workers at the establishment when you, or one of your members, is CAUGHT stealing from said establishment.

most of you fessed up and admitted to being in the wrong, though. fine. whatever. moving on. just know that life as a band that gigs around town will now be a LOT harder cause one of your members f'd up major and the flack from this won't go away too soon.
Posted by don't come around here no more on July 11, 2009 at 12:39 PM · Report this
J. Burns 57
I don't want to tell you how to run your band, but I've had to kick dudes out of bands for a lot less. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
Posted by J. Burns on July 11, 2009 at 1:57 PM · Report this
HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA THAT SHOULDN'T BE DRAGGED OUT IN PUBLIC.

Josephes = BITCH
Posted by waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh on July 11, 2009 at 2:21 PM · Report this
Here are more of Mary's paintings:

Posted by bublnsqueak on July 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM · Report this
I love the way you guys protect the actual perpetrator. I now know the name of EVERY member of your band EXCEPT the thieving guitar player. You are all culpable and I think your career under this band name is pretty much over. All for one and one for all, Abodox. You are only as good as your worst member (and you are being measured on much more than whether you are "good players" or not). Any band that is on a bill with you is punished by association. Your "new" guitar player stole your entire reputation. He sucks, he steals and he is a coward. AND he let all of your step up for him and try to take the blame. Screw you guys for enabling him. Where is his statement? Oh, I guess it got liberated and Nathan, Dorando and Benjamin - you are all complicit. Yep. Enjoy your practice space, you'll be seeing a lot of it in the coming months.
Posted by ISupposeItsOnlyACrimeIfYouGetCaught on July 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM · Report this
Seems like the crowd of whiny nerds here didn't like my plan @35, so i have a new one.

The band should offer to do odd jobs around the bar to make up for what happened. The bar will act disgruntled, but then begin to understand that sometimes good people make mistakes. In the end the bar will be shot and killed by a bunch of asian gangsters who get sent to jail for murder, allowing the band to go on and live a better life. Or something. I watched Gran Torismo today. Can you tell?

Clint Eastwood plays a good mean old bastard.
Posted by Donutspal on July 11, 2009 at 2:57 PM · Report this
yucca flower 62
If the drummer had not in fact been there, and was unfairly blamed for the theft, then I would like to apologize for calling him a drunk, entitled wanker. It is unfair to cast blame on someone who did not participate and was not present at the time of incident.

Sorry.

*However, what I said about the rest of you nit brains stands. WTF were you thinking?*
Posted by yucca flower on July 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM · Report this
Mr. Bastard says:

"Everything is up for grabs!
This rock n roll people!
It’s always been about rockin’ and drunken debauchery!
Is stealing wrong? Hell yes!
Is he a jack ass for trying to steal it? fuck yeah!
But so fuckin’ what!
Any publicity is good publicity!
Shit on the blue moon, the painting and JJ!
How was their set? That’s what really matters!"
~Mr. Bastard
Posted by Mr. Bastard on July 11, 2009 at 4:58 PM · Report this
in-frequent 64
well, the band made the unfortunate mistake of escalating this incident when JJ threatened to go public with the info. and the public has decided that reasonable people do not steal art, and that more of an apology (or some sort of action) is necessary.

really - and i know this is lame - but the band should "fire" the guitarist to demonstrate that they do not tolerate this sort of bad decision. beyond that, a non-excuse (in any form) non-explanation apology would by the guitarist would go a long way to smoothing things over. maybe offering to purchase a piece of art by the artist would demonstrate sincerity and act as a sort of mollifying repentance.

beyond that, banning the band from local shows wouldn't be too unsurprising. that likely won't happen, though. likely most people will forget about this in a couple of weeks.
Posted by in-frequent on July 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM · Report this
Since the band respects Mary's art to such a degree it is surprising they have not offered to give her the $100 they made at the Blue Moon so she can continue to produce works that are inspirational to the Abodox. They owe an apology to her, not the Blue Moon or the employees who stopped the heist. This is Mary's personal property not the Blue Moon's. I have a feeling that the band is like our "Mr. Bastard" having no respect for art or anything else possessing a cutting edge Rock-n-Roll attitude of shitting on everything. I have a feeling that the guitarist/thief is the moron signing up under pseudonyms justifying his dissemination of fecal matter all over everybody in the name of a serious Rock n- Roll lifestyle. Sure Jason is a douchebag, that's his nickname. However, if you had to deal with these super-serious and heavy "musicians" for the last five years, you would probably be in jail or in a mental institution by this point.
Posted by Tom H. on July 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM · Report this
in-frequent 66
amend: i take it back; i wasn't there. maybe JJ played more of a role in escalating this situation, or maybe it was all the band. perhaps kicking out the "new" guitarist is an over-reaction. i'll stick with the thought that the band should purchase a work of art from the artist, then donate it to the blue moon. how's that?

ps- i've had gear stolen from a local show and it totally sucks.
Posted by in-frequent on July 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM · Report this
Wow, I painted this painting. These guys say they appreciate the painting. Glad you like it, but that took me forever to paint. Oil painting is both expensive and super time consuming. I might add that this painting is for sale. If you appreciate my work, and want me to be able to be able to pay for more painting supplies why not offer to buy the painting? Yes this might require you to work some overtime. I love working at the Blue Moon. I've been there 10 years. I do intend to hang my art in there. Be human. Don't steal it.

Posted by M.McIntyre on July 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM · Report this
"While it's not cool to steal other people's art, the Blue Moon is a fucking cesspool and Jason Josephes is a fucking asshole. He is as obnoxious and arrogant in person as he is online."

Irrelevant to the discussion, really.

"HIGH SCHOOL DRAMA THAT SHOULDN'T BE DRAGGED OUT IN PUBLIC.

Josephes = BITCH "

Says the goofus that sounds like Blingee'd comments on a myspace profile.

"How was their set? That’s what really matters!"
~Mr. Bastard "

Apparently this is all people can recall from that night, so that speaks loads.
Posted by ungh on July 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM · Report this
jmahlon 69
No one should except their apology, now they are only being "sincere" because they are scared. They already showed their true colors.
Posted by jmahlon on July 11, 2009 at 10:00 PM · Report this
They're good dudes.

Every one of us knows a good dude who's done something fucked up like this.

The guilty party(s) (NOT Benjamin) have clearly been exposed and made subject to public reproach.

The consequences of the unfortunate transgression should fall upon the individual responsible. It's a damn shame that the Abodox has been named as the responsible entity. The band didn't do it. Some band members did.

Did anybody here start thinking all the dudes in Mastodon are violent, drunken pricks after Brent Hinds punched some cats in the face? No.

Yes, band members fuck up. But in this case, the band as a whole doesn't deserve to be unfairly stigmatized. Everybody cool it.
Posted by meemeemeemee on July 11, 2009 at 10:47 PM · Report this
@70,

I have to agree, I've only hung out with Benjamin and Nathan though. These guys have been playing the Blue Moon for years and have never done anything fucked up there before, or at any other venue that I know of. I certainly have never heard of them stealing from anyone before.. This sounds like it was a stupid drunken prank gone awry. I'm sure when they realized the next morning when they were sober that the band member took the painting it would have been returned. I don't know what they were thinking, but it sounds like drunken shenenigans.
Posted by Should have taken the Hammered Man instead on July 12, 2009 at 3:49 AM · Report this
EAT SHIT AND DIE
Posted by FUCK YOU on July 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM · Report this
I wonder if Dorando Hodous is related to Phil Hodous, my 7th grade english teacher? They look really similar, though I don't recall Phil having any tattoos on his neck. Man, that guy (Phil) was a giant cock- FUCK HIM!!

Posted by pointless bastardisms on July 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM · Report this
Jason Josephes 74
#71:

Just to clarify: The Abodox never had a long-term relationship with the Blue Moon. They say they've been playing here for eight years -- I've been working here for almost six and they have played maybe twice before, and the last time -- before Thursday -- was at least four (and probably closer to five) years ago. They're trying to make it seem like this was a harmless prank amongst friends when I'm positive if these almost total strangers had gotten out the door with Mary's painting it would never be seen again.
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on July 12, 2009 at 11:20 AM · Report this
If you want the privilege of owning a piece of art someone poured their time and creativity into, you must pay for it, period. This is much more egregious, IMO, than someone walking into a story and stealing a mass-produced item. This is personal.

I know Mary and she is a talented artist and a sweetheart.

Whoever did it, you're a scum-sucking douchebag and I'll make a point not to ever buy any this band's music.
Posted by Compass Rose on July 12, 2009 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Mary McIntyre is a hard-working and extremely talented emerging artist. She (and all artists who devote unpaid time and effort to their craft) deserve our utmost respect.
Posted by Lasky on July 12, 2009 at 12:43 PM · Report this
Matthew 77
Oh, Jesus. Who cares?
Posted by Matthew on July 12, 2009 at 2:02 PM · Report this
@77 Josephes does, the little drama queen is stirring up trouble
Posted by whats done is done move on and grow up on July 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM · Report this
jmahlon 79
press charges press charges press charges press charges, they'll receive my forgiveness when they pay for their crime.
Posted by jmahlon on July 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM · Report this
jmahlon 80
unless you press charges you're simply setting a precedent for assholes like them to get away with this kind of bullshit in the future. Why you didnt call the police in the first place is beyond me.
Posted by jmahlon on July 12, 2009 at 6:15 PM · Report this
for fuck sake leave the law out of it...
Posted by littlebabies on July 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM · Report this
i wonder how many people up in arms about this stolen painting steal music on the web. mind you, the one act in no way shape or form justifies the other. it just seems a little thick with irony.
Posted by the ghost of alansis on July 12, 2009 at 11:27 PM · Report this
you guys are all fags, especially jason for bringing this up
Posted by even littler babies... wahhhh on July 13, 2009 at 2:54 AM · Report this
@82 - If you can't see the difference between downloading some 1s and 0s in the shape of music and taking a one of a kind physical painting made of expensive materials that took hours upon hours to create, then you really are a moron.
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on July 13, 2009 at 9:36 AM · Report this
@83...Why shouldn't he bring this up that fool tried stealing a fancy painting from his bar, It ain't a joke. Why wouldn't he warn other potential bookers
Posted by bigfoot on July 13, 2009 at 9:46 AM · Report this
The Blue Moon haters are all members of terrible bands that can't get shows there.

Does the Blue Moon suck? No.

Does it smell like a stable at the County Fair? Yes.

Is it full of homeless freaks? Yes.

I have seen and been apart of some amazing shows there THANKS TO THE HARD WORK AND DEDICATION of Jason Jospephs.

His is a thankless job. He books bands in a dive bar.

Remember when Seattle had a lot of those and great bands cut their teeth there?

Yeah, I do. If you miss Gibson's, the Lake City Pub, the OLD Rendezvous or the current Monkey Pub then you know why the BLUE MOON is an incredible asset to the local music community.

FUCK THIEVES. FUCK THE ABODOX AND FUCK PEOPLE WHO MAKE EXCUSES FOR THEM.
Posted by Jeff on July 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM · Report this
@86
Yeah, its Realllly hard to get a show at the Blue Moon! What a laugh! Even funnier, all the dive bars you mentioned treated the bands that played there just the same- like jerks! You are a jerk too. And I dont miss the Monkey Pub at all.
Posted by Lydia on July 13, 2009 at 11:55 AM · Report this
Lydia,

As a musician in this town I've learned a valuable lesson: You get what you give.

Treat people with respect and expect to be treated in the same way.

Now, whether or not I am a jerk is unrelated to this brew-ha. But since you've shown me no respect by labeling me as such, I'll be sure and extend the offer to you in return.

I've never had a problem at any of those dive bars. Brian Foss, who booked Gibson's and now books/owns the Funhouse, is one of the most respected and well liked booking agents/club owners in town. I DARE YOU to show me otherwise.

Until then all you've got is sour grapes. Enjoy them, I hear they go well with spoiled cheese and stale crackers.
Posted by Jeff on July 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM · Report this
How much does Mary want for the painting-Someone better buy it quick! All this Hub-Bub is driving the value sky high!!

@88
Brian Foss and the Funhouse rule!
Anyone remember Uncle Rockies? That place was out of control. Closed down with a full on riot!

Posted by Ziggy on July 13, 2009 at 1:55 PM · Report this
How lame has this town become? First there was the disappearance of house shows and places like the Velvet Elvis and the Party Hall. Then came the EMP to really drive in the knife. I think it really is emitting some sort of vibration that has turned everyone in this town into a pretentious fool that somehow equates living here with the success of great bands and TIMES. The Abodox has been playing around here for a long time. They may not be the greatest band (I find them a bit too noisy). I dont believe the (stupid as they may be!!) actions of one member warrants any sort of blacklisting attempt by any booker of any club! I totally support JJ and the Blue Moon but MAN, you are kinda making yourself and your venue look like big wussies! I thought dive bars are like the patrons- tough and crusty! If I were a band playing there, Id watch my Ps and Qs- they might try and drag you through the mud!
Posted by nmeofemp on July 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM · Report this
BIG HAIRY PUSSIES
Posted by ALL OF YOU on July 13, 2009 at 4:17 PM · Report this
The Blue Moon Rules!! JJ kicks ass and is of the most UN-violent guy's I know.
Phil Thriller
Posted by greenriverthrillers on July 13, 2009 at 5:33 PM · Report this
dan10things 93
So... the painting was recovered that night, what's the big deal? I don't understand all the whining and drama over a dumb drunk move that was unsuccessful. I wish the Blue Moon staff would put half the effort they spent whining on blogs about this into making their bar not smell like rotting hippies. Anyone that catches an occasional show there knows the Blue Moon stinks worse than any bar in town. And yeah, Mary's art rocks! The incident probably gave her more press in The Stranger than she's ever have gotten otherwise, look at the good side people.

@90 - I'm old too and love to reminisce about the old days of the punk scene, but come on, there are like 3 or 4 houses regularly doing shows in Seattle. Also lots of great indie small DIY all-ages spaces right now, I can't remember a time where there were so many venues for punk rock, indie rock and underground shows.
Posted by dan10things http://10thingszine.blogspot.com on July 13, 2009 at 7:30 PM · Report this
@84: There is no difference. All artists should get paid for their work. Musicians didn't spend hours upon hours crafting a song? Musical equipment and recording music isn't expensive? Pretty smart...nice laptop?
Posted by farce on July 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM · Report this
Nathan, Ben and Pete (Dorando) are close friends of mine that I have known for over 10 years. I would like to say that this is a disturbing ordeal to hear of, and I am disgusted by these events. I can honestly say that these are some of the most honest and genuine guys that I have ever met. Anyone who has met them will tell you the same. I understand that people want to destroy people through media outlets, but it is a really disturbing way to communicate. For all of the people who want to slander this band, you don't know them and don't know what they are about. Go read your fucking gossip magazines, and you can go talk about Britney's weight or Brad and Angelina's break up. You all need to get a fucking life of your own! Stop trying to destroy real musician's reputations. They have appologized again and again. Leave them alone. Listen to their music, go introduce yourself to them. I would be suprised if you weren't impressed on what great people they are. I am sorry to hear about what happened, and feel bad for the artist and the venue. I think that JJ is a wanker for trying to rile the public though. I hope this shed's poor light on him.
Posted by engine on July 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM · Report this
"Stop trying to destroy real musician's reputations."

They seem to be doing a fine job of that on their own.

Has the guitarist (thief) apologized? I have yet to read a peep from him.

Until then, I stand by my above assessment.
Posted by Jeff on July 14, 2009 at 1:28 PM · Report this
Any further Gripes, Groans or passive aggression can be directed to me PERSONALLY at mountainsandmolehills@hotmail.com Any apologies will be issued in a manner that respects private and honest communication between the parties involved.
Thank you for your kind and not so kind words.

The Culprit
aka "scum-sucking douchebag"

THE END.
Posted by bp on July 14, 2009 at 2:33 PM · Report this
I, too, am close friends with these guys...and have been for a number of years. They are all stellar people...and stellar musicians (NOT the point in question here, I understand, but hey...). As for Jackass Josephes and his little drama crew....I wholeheartedly agree with the previous post. GET A FUCKING LIFE, blog-o-maniacs! Geez! Again, in keeping with the previous post left by "engine"....most of you random one-time shit talking bloggers don't know these people...and most of you probably weren't there. Was I? NO, I wasn't. Am I trying to defend these guys because of what happened? NO, I'm not. Am I attempting to defend their collective character? YES, you bet your fucking ass I am. Go see them live...talk to them...take the high road for once, and approach them as an adult and tell them in a mature and rational manner that you don't like what happened and that you're extremely disappointed, disgusted, or whatever it is you need to say. You'll probably be very surprised at the ensuing conversation you may have. They are rational, reasonable, hard-working guys. And they are good people...who, just like everyone else on the entire planet, sometimes make mistakes or errors in judgement. YES, THAT'S RIGHT HATERS, YOU'RE NOT FUCKING PERFECT EITHER. IF YOU WERE, YOU'D PROBABLY BE RUNNING THE PLANET...AND THIS ONGOING BLOG WOULD NOT BE HAPPENING, RIGHT? RIGHT! AGAIN, is this a defense of what occured at the Blue Moon? HELL NO! What happened shouldn't have happened. It was rude, stupid, and if they never play the Blue Moon again,...well, that's totally understandable and justified. Knowing these guys personally, I know that they have genuinely tried to apologize in this forum. Haters don't seem to be having it. Are the haters justified in their hatred? Sure. So, go stew in your hate, punch a wall...or whatever it is you need to do to releive your pent up frustration...and MOVE THE FUCK ON WITH YOUR OTHERWISE PATHETIC, AND QUITE OBVIOUSLY, VEEEEEEEEEERY BORING LIVES....and, oooh, hey...maybe at the end of it, you'll actually get over it...or find someone else to hate on. Now, just to re-cap...for those of you that are so incredibly challenged in the emotional and social parts of your lives.....is this a defense of what occured? NOOOO! Is what occured fucked up? HELL YEAH!!!!! It was rude and uncalled for! Is forgiveness a complete and utter impossibility? Weeeeell, perhaps. And, AGAIN, that's understandable. But the hate crew that just keeps rolling on, trying to bury these guys as people, is a bit much...and is, quite honestly, disappointing in its own way. So, what should/could happen? Well, a formal, in-person, apology, and maybe a possible compensatory gesture of some sort might be fitting...?
THAT, however, is not for me to decide, right, giffy?
Oh, and whoever goes by the screen name "giffy": Did you REALLY send an e-mail to the museum? In MY mind, that makes YOU the biggest peice of shit in this whole fiasco. Seriously?!??? Did you really e-mail them...and thus potentially jeopardize someone's employment status?! If I find out who you are, and beleve me, I REALLY HOPE I DO...you, you fucking loser, will truly regret THAT decision! Shit talking??? TRY ME MOTHERFUCKER! If the painting HAD been stolen successfully...would Mary or Mr. Josephes have lost her jobs? MMMMMM? NO! I can't see why they would have. Is MY logic here a little flawed? Weeeeell, again, that depends on how you approach this situation...or not. AND THAT, you peice of shit, is the whole point I'm trying to make--->Stay out of it and let the people directly involved deal with it....directly....because, oh yeah...THEY are the ones DIRECTLY involved....NOT YOU! Am I saying that you can't express your opinion? HELL NO!!!! By all means, express it! Post 1 million blogs if you like! Talk up a shit-storm that engulfs the entire planet. Have a ball! BUT, stepping in the way you did (did you SERIOUSLY e-mail the museum????!!!!! Seriously?!?!?!?!? WOW!) and taking it upon yourself to play mediator, judge, jury, executioner....and "possibly" terminator of people's employment (especially in this financial climate), THAT is uncalled for! I meant what I said, I really DO hope I find out who you are, you pathetic loser! Hugs and punches to the face to you and yours!
More...
Posted by giffy is a giant gackass on July 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM · Report this
“I’m gong with Diabolo.” she anserred happily. Well anyway Draco and Diabolo came. They were both loking extremely hot and sexy and u could tell they thoufht we were ot 2. Diabolo was wearing a black t-shirt that said ‘666’ on it. He was wearing tons off makeup jus like Marylin Manson. Draco was wearing black leather pants, a gothic black GC t-shirt and black Vans he got from da Warped tower. B’loody Mart was going 2 da concert wif Dracola. Dracola used to be called Navel but it tuned out dat he was kidnapped at birth and his real family were vampires. They dyed in a car crash. Navel converted to Satanism and he went goth. He was in Slitherin now. He was wearing a black Wurped t-shirt, black jeans and shoes and black hair wif red streekz in it. We kall him Dracula now. Well anyway we al went 2 Draco’s black Mercy-Bens (geddit cuz wer gpffik) that his dad Lucian gave him. We did pot, coke and crak. Draco and I made out. We made fun of dose stupid fuking preps. We soon got there…….I gapsed.

Gerard was da sexiest guy eva! He locked even sexier den he did in pix. He had long raven blak hair n piercing blue eyes. He wuz really skinny and he had n amazing ethnic voice. We moshed 2 Helena and sum odder songz. Sudenly Gerard polled of his mask. So did the other membez. I gasped. It wasn’t Gerard at all! It was an ugly preppy man wif no nose and red eyes... Every1 ran away but me and Draco. Draco and I came. It was…….Vlodemort and da Death Deelers!

“U moronic idiots!” he shooted angstily. “Enoby, I told u to kill Vampire. Thou have failed. And now……….I shall kill thou and Draco!”

“No no please!” We begged sadly but he took out his knife.

Sudenly a gothic old man flu in on his broomstick. He had lung black hair and a looong black bread. He wus werring a blak robe dat sed ‘avril lavigne’ on da back. He shotted a spel and Vlodemort ran away. It was…………………………………DUMBLYDORE!
More...
Posted by wurd on July 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM · Report this
OK

1) The first apology by the drummer sucked. Excuse after excuse followed by an effort to offload blame onto pissed off patrons and staff

2) A second, heartfelt, apology from Dorando Hodous (bassist) that seems complete and believable

3) Abadox: Throw the bitch out of the band and make it public why he was replaced.

1 strike, you're out
Posted by EastsideSun on July 14, 2009 at 8:48 PM · Report this
OK

1 strike, you're out
Posted by EastsideSun on July 14, 2009 at 8:50 PM · Report this
"Then in a moment of severe overreaction, we were violently threatened with physical accosting. The specifics of what was said are vague at best, but we did not resist or require this aggression at all."
Seriously, one could not improve on that! If and when you are over the violent physical accosting and if you do not disrequire any more anti-aggression, could you get a job in the Bush library?
Posted by Tom H. on July 14, 2009 at 9:23 PM · Report this
perhaps the first apology by the drummer wasn't too heartfelt because HE WASN'T EVEN THERE and had his name and personal life dragged through the muck. it was probably pretty hard for him to say what happened because, like he said, HE WASN'T EVEN THERE. i might be flip and write a stupid apology too if someone FALSELY ACCUSED me, in print of doing something that i HADN'T DONE, AND HADN'T EVEN BEEN THERE FOR.

ol' "douchebag" (his real nickname) jason josephes really earned his nickname this time, fingered the wrong dude and doesn't seem to really care. but that's what whiney drama queens are always about, lashing out at others (even if they aren't involved) so they can feel good about themselves. pathetic.

the guitarist did something stupid and disrespectful, he put up his email, go write him about it if any of you have the balls. he owes apologies to the artist and the venue, not a bunch of self-righteous bloggers who have probably downloaded all their music and then shout thief! thief! so they can feel like they are better people.

and to "giffy is a giant jackass" : amen. giffy is a giant jackass. he read the post wherein the drummer, benjamin, said he wasn't there, and then emailed his work with bullshit hearsay allegations? what part of THE DRUMMER WASN'T THERE don't you understand?

in closing:

mary's art is awesome! i saw the painting and it is stunning.

stealing = bad.

the blue moon smells real bad, but it is real interesting and i'm glad it's around.

bloggers don't deserve apologies.

giffy is a jackass.

and so is jason josephes.
Posted by giffyisajackass,andsoisjj on July 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM · Report this
the best part is douchey Josephes whining not only here but on several other local music websites.

Stay classy, drama queen!
Posted by teacher! teacher! he shot a rubber band at me! wahhhhh on July 15, 2009 at 2:55 PM · Report this
The Abodox Rules.

Jason Josephes is clown shoes.
Posted by needless on July 15, 2009 at 3:08 PM · Report this
Is this some kind of conspiracy or something? Is it the most clever marketing scheme ever devised for an art exibit. Did this shit even happen?! The irony here is pretty fucking amazing! A banner at the top of the page is advertising this very show at SAM:

TARGET PRACTICE is an international, historical survey of the attacks that painting endured in the years following World War II. For the artists in the show, painting had become a trap, and they devised numerous ways to escape the conventions and break the traditions that had been passed down to them over hundreds of years. This phenomenon occurred in all parts of the world, and the exhibition documents why artists felt compelled to shoot, rip, tear, burn, erase, nail, unzip and deconstruct painting in order to usher in a new way of thinking.

The exhibition shows how well-known artists like Jasper Johns, Roy Lichtenstein and Andy Warhol, as well as lesser-known peers around the globe, worked to undermine the supremacy and sanctity of painting. Comprised of more than 70 objects including documentary photographs and video, Target Practice presents a compelling way to appreciate the breakthroughs made by a new generation of artists in the fertile years between 1949 and 1978.

–Michael Darling, Jon & Mary Shirley Curator of Modern & Contemporary Art

Posted by Hmmmm on July 15, 2009 at 4:56 PM · Report this
Retards beware: when you do something stupid, get caught, and then dare the person who you disrespected to tell everyone they know, they might just tell everyone they know.

BJ Shea called the band out on his radio show. So hey, at least everyone involved gets free press.
Posted by life's a bitch, don't steal shit on July 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM · Report this
107 - what the fuck does that fat cokehead ass clown have to do with music? monkey see monkey do.
Posted by nice try, but epic fail on July 15, 2009 at 8:40 PM · Report this
It would have been a lot cooler if it were the Ricker that called me a piece of shit for 10 minutes! Public Ridicule is a new one for me! I think I like it!! Thanks!!!Keep it comin' jj!!!!! You stinking cunt.

Blaine Pantone- alleged ex guitarist for the neo-grunge band in question.
Posted by blaine pantone on July 15, 2009 at 11:25 PM · Report this
Wait, the guy tried to steal something and got busted. Then they say he would have given it back? How dumb does that sound? So he gets busted, then gets pissed and argues? How does that work? If I caught someone stealing from my house, I'd beat their ass in.

Now the band is getting all their friends to come on here and talk shit about Jason Josephes. Now THAT is classy.

The band is looking real bad about now. Real bad.

Quit bitching. You got caught. Deal with it. Say your sorry and shut up. Tell your friends they're making it worse.

Where do you live? We'll come steal from you, then bitch and say you have no class when we get caught.

Posted by Judge Truth on July 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM · Report this
Oh my god not BJ SHEA!!! seriously though, if you get called a "douche-nozzle" by that loser, you know you have done something right in your fucking life.

-i personally really like the lead in about how women are really the cause, and main perpetrators of domestic violence. classy INDEED.

I have worked in dive bars in this town for over ten years and i have seen some REALLY SERIOUS SHIT go down, but i never went whining to the internet like that douche-nozzle jj. he should get a job at the cheesecake factory.
Posted by the abodox paid me to say this on July 16, 2009 at 1:04 AM · Report this
I can't dislike you, but I will say this to you: you haven't got long before you are all going to kill yourselves, because you are all crazy. And you can project it back at me, but I am only what lives inside each and every one of you.

Stolen Quote by
Pantone \
Waste no Time
Posted by blaine pantone on July 16, 2009 at 2:46 AM · Report this
110 - not in abodox, not in a band and most definitely NOT EVER going to or promote a show at the Blue Moon
Posted by calling a douche a douche. you reading this Josephes? on July 16, 2009 at 3:43 PM · Report this
These people who are defending Abdominax or whatever they are called sound like complete jackasses.

You got caught stealing, right? End of story. Bye Bye.
Posted by AAA on July 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM · Report this
Why should any venue hire this band? Since they clearly have a member who has a drinking problem and is a thief, and their first response is to make excuses, the band as a whole can't be trusted. Paying somebody to go over their gear as they tear down costs money. Replacing art costs money. For $100 band? Get real. And, the booker who tells other venues what went down is doing the "community" a favor--because a venue that loses money is a venue that closes.

The band has nobody to blame but themselves. Grow the eff up.
Posted by small town venue owner on July 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM · Report this
i love dive bars, and i love music, and the blue moon had always been the perfect marriage of these two things. it was an artsy environment with a diverse clientele and there was something truly beautiful about it. it felt like a time warp, and like anything could happen. but lately (and by lately i mean the last few years) things seem to be changing.

almost every time i see a band there now, the sound guy (who apparently is the booker too) is always yelling and throwing tantrums, mostly directed at the bands, but it has brought down the vibe of the whole room on many occasions. i was always embarrassed for him, but mostly ignored it and moved on with my night, figuring he just has some anger management issues, and hey, no one is perfect.

but then a drunk guy got caught stealing something -which is very very wrong, YES. no one should ever steal anything from a venue, but- he gave it back, and apologized. should the bar be mad? hell yes! should they 86 him? probably. should they ban the band? i don't know, maybe. BUT, should the sound guy go on a media rampage to crucify first) the wrong band member and second) the entire band???? anger management issues indeed. look how many times the sound guy, jason, posted here trying to rile up the blogging lynch mob. that's gross.

if you don't like the band, don't buy their music. "End of story." a lot of the more absurd comments here just sound like angry bloggers that are being played by a puffed up gossip with emotional problems. i guess it's kind of funny actually. Mr. Josephes vindictiveness is childish, not to mention probably ineffective. if this guy really wanted to hurt the band he would have never opened his mouth to give them SO MUCH PRESS. i sincerely doubt most venues trying to make money would shy away from booking this band right now since they are such a Hot Topic.

In closing, i hate to say it, but i don't think i will be going to the Blue Moon anymore, or at least not while this guy still works there. if i wanted a vibe filled with aggression i would go to el corazon or pioneer square. i would also encourage any band, whether established or "working their way up" that is thinking of playing there to go somewhere else (unless they like that sort of thing).
For punk and metal there is the Funhouse and the Re-bar and many clubs up from there. for everything else there is the Rendezvous, and the booker there (Adam) is really sweet and a TRUE fan of music. there is also a LOT of really wonderful DIY venues around town that capture the fun artsy vibe the Blue Moon used to have, the Greenhouse comes to mind, and there are more. there is no reason to play the Blue Moon and be treated terribly, with terrible sound to boot. shitty employees hurt venues too.
More...
Posted by this is absurd on July 17, 2009 at 12:03 PM · Report this
Jason Josephes 117
Wow, still more troll comments? This is awesome. More, please!
Posted by Jason Josephes http://www.myspace.com/bluemoonseattle on July 17, 2009 at 12:35 PM · Report this
Shorter #116: Don't support thieves or patronize Blue Moon.

There, fixed it for you.

You're welcome.
Posted by Jeff on July 17, 2009 at 1:29 PM · Report this
sorry that was too long.

and thanks jeff, but that's not an accurate summary.

here you go:
i agree that stealing is wrong, but a media campaign against a whole band by one guy (who is still commenting on this post almost a week later!) screams LOSER.

Posted by this is absurd on July 17, 2009 at 2:02 PM · Report this
Absurd,

"if you don't want to keep company with dramatic and abusive losers, don't go to, or play the Blue Moon. it's not worth it."

You are entitled to that opinion, but I have had the exact opposite experience.

I saw the moondoggies play one of their earliest shows at this bar. They can easily command a much larger stage these days, so why is it that even now they keep returning to play shows at the Blue Moon? Probably because they've been treated well by the staff back when they were a young, struggling new local band.

Have any evidence that JJ is a dramatic abusive loser? No? It's easy to make shit up, but harder to cite specific examples.

You give respect, you get it in return. That has been the whole of my relationship with Mr. Josephs.

What's absurd is you chastising him. for commenting on it a nearly week later ...by commenting on it nearly a week later. FWIW, I remember my first time on the internet too.

Did you not read the part where the band member, dared him to "spread the word"?

Thanks for playing, that was easy.
Posted by Jeff on July 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM · Report this
hey jeff, FWIW, i JUST READ THIS story on Slog, because i was wondering what all the fuss was about after reading Grandy's column. just so you know, that's A LOT different than posting a couple of times a day for a week. sorry if i'm late to the game in giving my opinion, but i don't think that negates it.

have you even been to the blue moon? the blue moon sound guy is well known for having anger issue or whatever you want to call it. his nickname is "douchebag" after all.

and as far as you get what you give? that is not always the case. there are bad sound guys, bartenders, shoeshiners, lawyers, etc. They Exist! SOMETIMES PEOPLE ARE ASSHOLES, jeff. especially if you aren't sucking their dicks, as you so apparently are.

AND someone who appears to have a lot of fun dragging an entire band under the bus for the actions (and words) of ONE member, by repeatedly riling up an angry blogging lynch mob TOTALLY QUALIFIES AS AN ABUSIVE AND DRAMATIC LOSER in my book.

Josephes has shown HIMSELF as what he is, And i'm sick of it being anywhere near it. Goodbye to you Jeff (or is your real name jason?) and Goodbye to this ABSURD thread!
Posted by this is absurd on July 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM · Report this
Jason Jopehes dick cums chocolate, I can't stop giving him blowjobs.

Is "This Is Abusurd" your real name?

Your parent's must be cool.
Posted by Jeff on July 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Josephes is a whiny little bitch and he just threw himself and his cocaine-ridden bar in the gutter.

hey segal, call the narc board!
Posted by going out of his way to not promote you anymore on July 18, 2009 at 1:33 AM · Report this
Oh. I always thought that junk was the drug of choice at the blow moon.
Posted by guy in alley on July 18, 2009 at 11:14 PM · Report this
Hobocum provides the most intoxication at the Blew Moon. Shithole.
Posted by hobowithahardon on July 19, 2009 at 5:45 AM · Report this
Hey "this is absurd",

So is it ok for someone to come to your house and steal if they are drunk?

And the band is not innocent in this like you say they are.

Your attacks on Josephes make you sound like the biggest bitch of all.

You really must not know how stupid you sound.
Posted by more absurd on July 20, 2009 at 4:44 PM · Report this
"New Year's Day is an interesting one for me because it marks eleven years to the day of me shuffling off of a couch in Minneapolis and into a shiny jet plane bound for Seattle. You know, I didn't even think I'd make it one year but I'm still here. Lucky residents of Seattle!" -Jason Josephes

"No, really, I'm feeling worlds better these days. I can't stress this enough, and not in the old fashioned, passive-aggressive, denial soaked claims of others. I mean I haven't felt so excellent in I don't know how long. I almost fear that it will temper my imagination, but then I came up with the concept of a story about a former child porn star and it made me feel better. " -Jason Josephes

"It jarred loose an old idea I had that I always meant to pursue. Basically put, a restaurant where, after your meal, you were free to beat up your waitress if you were not pleased with the service or your meal. I was putting in shorthand as like Hooters, only with black eyes of paramount importance instead of boobs." -Jason Josephes

"OK, let’s set aside the issue that this is just some lousy parenting. Seriously, where was this dude when they were teaching Molestation 101? The mantra you drill into their heads is “this is our little secret” and “if you tell, you’re going to get into trouble.” You do NOT post videos of this activity online. I mean, it’s a little rude. Plus, you’ve just given all of her enemies an endgame insult: “Oh, yeah? Well, I may have a zit on my nose, but you had your father’s penis inside of you.” -Jason Josephes

Fuck balance. Give me interesting. Like that time I started a conversation at Trader Joe’s talking about my aunt’s chlamydia (which, thankfully, is a word in the spell check.)- Jason Josephes

"No, " I say, furthering my commitment to the tenets of friendship, "I'm just standing here for fun." (I should have thrown in, "…trying to smell these little girls asses, but I'm not close enough. Could you hold my backpack for me so I can go in for a nice long drag?")-Jason Josephes

"Mail order bride all the way from Korea
Hair like a raven and skin like a tortilla
It may not be love but it will be an even trade
She wants residency and you want a maid

Don't wait for love because it ain't gonna happen
You're fifty, bald, and need a lot of Tinactin
Just send us all your money and we'll send you back a hog
Just promise not to shoot her if she kills and eats your dog" - Jason Josephes

"On a completely unrelated note, I still haven’t found another job yet." -Jason Josephes
More...
Posted by vajj on July 21, 2009 at 11:06 AM · Report this
Wow vajj, do you not see how big your crush on Josephes is? Because everyone else does.
Posted by just ask him on a date already on July 21, 2009 at 11:37 AM · Report this
no one has a crush on josephes #128, mostly because he's fucking ugly.

and did he REALLY write or say that shit that's in comment #127? cause if he did, he is a disgusting racist and misogynist shitbag.

he reminds me of all the closeted homosexuals i grew up in the midwest with.
Posted by ladies read line out too on July 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM · Report this