Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Surfer Blood, Atlas Sound, and Fresh Espresso at the Crocodile

Posted by on Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Surfer_Blood_17.jpg

Frankly, I was too busy furiously typing the then-just-announced Sasquatch! line-up out on my phone when Florida band Surfer Blood first went on to really absorb much of anything. By the time I pulled myself away from the blog, the really young looking band's keyboardist was attempting a rather unsupported crowd surf. Apparently the singer tried one while I wasn't looking. (Crowd Surfer Blood more like it, amirite?) Anyway, prior to last night, I'd only heard one song by these guys and noted their Best New Music accolade on Pitchfork, and neither had really swayed me. Live, they seemed like fun, poppy guitar rock with just a little taste for roughing it up around the edges. Nice, but I couldn't hum you a song this morning—although that may have more to do with the blogging/general excitement/couple drink tickets that damn Radjaw gave me. (Free sitcom idea: "That Damn Radjaw!" You guys feel free to use that.)

Atlas_Sound_09.jpg

As far as I can tell, Atlas Sound, the sometimes-solo side project of Deerhunter frontman/scarecrow Bradford Cox, has like two really killer songs, live or on record: the breezy, bad-dreamy 'til-death-do-we-part love song "Sheila" ("and when we die we'll bury ourselves") and the loopy, funhousey twirl "Walkabout," a collaboration with Animal Collective's Panda Bear that still works surprisingly well as a solo acoustic song. The rest of Atlas Sound's set was rather a drag, though. A lot of long, drawn-out droning songs, with Cox slowly building his acoustic/electric guitar loops into crescendos that, while fairly impressive coming from just one guy his guitar and his pedals, often felt like too little too late. Still, Cox is a amiable entertainer, joking with the crowd between songs about the X-Box-related raffle that preceded his set, telling how he'd spent the like the whole damn day flying here from Georgia only to forget the pedal that "makes [his] voice sound weird," saying how much Seattle music meant to him growing up (and hence the flannel). And there was one song that featured a cool effect where he seemed to trigger whole little echoing melodic lines just by plucking single strings. So, a stripped-down set good for any hardcore Atlas Sound fans in the house, and at least two really outstanding joints for everyone else.

fresh_espresso_02.jpg

Caught just the last half of Fresh Espresso and found them to be as sharp and shiny and entertaining as ever. Mad Rad may have all the hype (and all the backlash) but these guys are just as seriously "out for stardom." And the live drumming never hurts, either (who the fuck was that guy?).

Photos by Josh Bis, many more after the jump.

Surfer Blood:

Surfer_Blood_14.jpg

Surfer_Blood_16.jpg

Surfer_Blood_20.jpg

Atlas Sound:

Atlas_Sound_11.jpg

Atlas_Sound_10.jpg

Atlas_Sound_13.jpg

Fresh Espresso:

fresh_espresso_04.jpg

fresh_espresso_05.jpg

fresh_espresso_08.jpg

Comments (11) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Didn't know the Gaslamp Killer's also in Surfer Blood. Interesting.
Posted by Dave Segal on February 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM · Report this
It's a super-group featuring Gaslamp Killer and the scarf from Vampire Weekend!
Posted by Eric Grandy on February 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM · Report this
J. Burns 3
It's not that cold inside a packed Croc. You can leave those scarves and toques in the green room.
Posted by J. Burns on February 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM · Report this
josh 4
in fairness, the cold bros were from warmer southern climates.
Posted by josh http://www.sciencevsromance.net on February 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM · Report this
the drummer was trent moorman from head like a kite
Posted by chona kasinger on February 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 6
fuck ya'll for stealing my free tickets to this show....apparently they vanished in less than the 12 hours it took me to get to sonic boom

and to think I went to sonic boom 3 weeks ago requesting the new Surfer Bood album to which I got the reply "they aren't even in our system...I can't special order their album for you"
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on February 16, 2010 at 4:33 PM · Report this
Kind of a shame that 90% of the people at the show last night didn't give a shit about the bands. Atlas Sound boring? OK, maybe if you are about to piss your pants because you want to be the first to tell everyone the line up via I-phone. When the host said vampire weekend it was the loudest cheer all night, that's just a bummer. And cut Surfer blood a break, they knew about the show on short notice, didn't have their own gear, and are all about 21.
Posted by music,prizes,beer on February 17, 2010 at 12:00 AM · Report this
"ERIC GRANDY'S THE STRANGER: IF IT'S NOT TWEE OR MAD RAD RELATED, I DON'T MUCH CARE FOR IT."
Posted by Casual_Observer on February 17, 2010 at 2:06 AM · Report this
CASUAL OBSERVER - Shabazz Palaces, on the cover? You = how do you say, WRONG.

Do you read the music section or Line Out? Or do you just bitch when you feel pissed off about something else? Cause that is the dumbest fucking comment I think I've ever seen.
Posted by Casual Observer's Observer on February 17, 2010 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Hey Andy_Squirrel stop tarnishing people named Andrew!!
First of all they were never given away at sonic boom at all, but easy street.
Second it's a free show with great music in a recession, why shouldn't the tickets go super fast?
Third stop whining about pre-orders when you already could download it to hear it then and buy it at the proper time to support the artist.

The show was a blast, and I'm happy to say I sold my 2 extra tickets I picked up for $30 :P
Posted by daftande on February 18, 2010 at 12:50 AM · Report this
PS Here are two of my clips:
Fresh Espresso http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpgzCQLSi…