Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Gajamaniac

Posted by on Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I was sorta bummed to get a text last week from Mark Gajadhar, canceling a show we were due to play with his group at the Green House, scheduled for his birthday this weekend. But he had great reason- "doing a record in LA with Ross Robinson, Paul from At The Drive In and a few others", he said (looks like Jaguar Love's Cody Votolato and Daniel Anderson from Idiot Pilot are involved too). As much as I was looking forward to the party, shiit, I couldn't be mad at the dude—a guy I consider one of the illest along the town's musical faultlines, one of the heaviest lifters in the current reconciliation between genres locally—making more music and kicking back on Venice Beach for his birthday, where I just spent my own goddamn bornday. Apparently they've been productive too, writing six songs in a couple days. Here's a little video of them working it out:

Looks like the music is for Houston MC Hyro Da Hero, who describes himself as "Tupac Meets Refused". Is this the shape of rap to come?

Comments (12) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
My first thought was that Ross Robinson needs to stay the fuck away from blending hip-hop and heavy music for the rest of his life.

But that wasn't half bad.

Corollary: I frequently and deeply miss Orange 9mm.
Posted by d.p. on August 12, 2010 at 1:11 PM · Report this
Tupac meets Refused: So...Rage Against the Mars Volta?
Posted by Casual_Observer on August 12, 2010 at 1:26 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
I see nothing wrong with rap and rock hybrids.

After all, if Allison Morrissete can marry a white rap artist, why can't they have kids who enjoy both forms of music?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on August 12, 2010 at 1:41 PM · Report this
34x42 4
no. this is the shape of a band fronted by an emcee rather than a 'lead singer'. nothing shocking or new here at all.
Posted by 34x42 on August 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Category is: "Crimes Against Music"

Answer: This is American music producer has worked with acts such as Machine Head, Korn, At the Drive-In, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, Vanilla Ice, The Cure, Sepultura, Glassjaw and many others. He has been called "The Godfather of Nu Metal".

Question: Who is Ross Robinson?
Posted by Jeff on August 12, 2010 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Dougsf 6
Thank you Jeff @5, and I'll take the Judgment Night Soundtrack for $400 please.
Posted by Dougsf on August 12, 2010 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Proud Faggot 7
I don't know. The guy rapping sounds like a Kool Keith clone. This is not a good thing.
Posted by Proud Faggot on August 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM · Report this
Unregistered User 8
A night at the hip-hopera?
Posted by Unregistered User on August 13, 2010 at 11:26 AM · Report this
Fenrox 9
Does Blackroc count? The Black Keys and a bunch of hip hoppers? I really likes it.
Posted by Fenrox on August 13, 2010 at 1:03 PM · Report this
Maybe you haven't seen Wild Orchid Children yet?
Posted by Casual_Observer on August 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Not trying to totally tear apart what's happening here. The energy is friggin' great. Just by no means any sort of reinvention of the wheel.

Also, terribly glad to see Cody V. playing something that is more Blood Bros and less Jaguar Love. Ick.
Posted by Casual_Observer on August 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 12
i hope nobody thinks i thought there was any wheel-inventing going on here. just a bad refused pun.
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on August 14, 2010 at 9:48 PM · Report this