Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, September 23, 2010

"I Feel Like the Kurt Cobain of My Generation."

Posted by on Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Apparently, Justin Bieber said that. According to the internet, anyway (remember, sometimes the internet lies). Now, Twitter and Facebook and Reddit are all a flutter with Bieber suicide jokes.

Says @chapmanfamily (Singer of the band The Chapman Family): "If this Bieber thinking he's Kurt Cobain rumour thing is true I can't wait for his 27th birthday."

Says @AnthonyRaneri (from the band Bayside): "Unfortunately, if Bieber really is the new cobain like he says, we still have 10 more years until he's do to kill himself"

Says @Real_Hulk: "HULK HOPE JUSTIN BIEBER COMPARING SELF TO KURT COBAIN HIS WAY OF SAYING HE ABOUT TO SHOOT HIMSELF."

cobainimage.gif
  • via Reddit

I have two questions:

Did Beiber really say it?

Is wanting a 16-year-old kid to kill himself (even if that 16-year-old kid is Justin Bieber) an appropriate response?

Work it out in the comments, if you'd like.

Comments (40) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
josh 1
maybe someone should tell that 16 year old that it gets better?
Posted by josh http://www.sciencevsromance.net on September 23, 2010 at 12:27 PM · Report this
You should add a third option to the second poll: "No, but joking about wanting a 16-year-old to kill himself is."
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on September 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 3
You just hate how sexy Canadian singers are.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM · Report this
Travis Ritter 4
Kurt Cobain didn't even want to the the Kurt Cobain of his generation.
Posted by Travis Ritter http://nuglifer.wordpress.com on September 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 5
by the way, how come no pit bull options in the poll?
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 23, 2010 at 12:38 PM · Report this
Kinison 6
Looks like we now have to attack his fans with water bottles.
Posted by Kinison http://www.holgatehawks.com on September 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 7
in light of recent events, and just in the interest of being decent, who are the 43% saying yes it's OK?
Posted by mr. herriman on September 23, 2010 at 12:42 PM · Report this
At the same time Dan Savage is launching a project to help gay teens contemplating suicide, this post appears in the Stranger? What bad taste.
Posted by ricksteve on September 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM · Report this
ingopixel 9
@1 I wish someone had told Kurt Cobain that it gets better :(
Posted by ingopixel on September 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM · Report this
w7ngman 10
#1 stole my joke. I suppose it was an obvious joke. For what it's worth my delivery was better.
Posted by w7ngman http://userscripts.org/users/89370 on September 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM · Report this
I can't believe you would involve yourselves in something so distasteful on a Thursday.
Posted by gloomy gus on September 23, 2010 at 12:44 PM · Report this
elenchos 12
Stay classy, Megan.
Posted by elenchos on September 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM · Report this
#9 FTW
Posted by Michael Wells on September 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 14
@12 How is this unclassy? Did I say it was okay? No. I think it raises an interesting discussion.

If someone were to tell an average 16-year-old kid to kill himself, most people would scoff (I hope). But now, when literally hundreds (if not thousands) of people are publicly hoping Justin Bieber will kill himself (jokingly or not) because of something he may have not even said, everyone thinks it's hilarious.

I think it's really interesting. I think it's kind of gross. But also really interesting. Is it the fame that makes it okay? The fact he's rich? His annoying songs? I'm curious.
Posted by Megan Seling on September 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM · Report this
@7, heh, "recent" events
Posted by Peter F on September 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM · Report this
Given all the suicide talk on Slog and the ItGetsBetter project , I think this post is highly inappropriate, Megan.
Posted by Taller Than You on September 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 17
oh, 15, i know gay/teen suicide is not a new problem. by "events" i am referring to the "it gets better" project and all the slog coverage of recent gay (or perceived gay) suicides.

@ 16 said it better than i did.
Posted by mr. herriman on September 23, 2010 at 1:06 PM · Report this
I couldn't seem to find the button that says, "No, I don't think it's OK for Courtney Love to hire a hitman to have him murdered, even if he is Justin Bieber."
Posted by aiff on September 23, 2010 at 1:07 PM · Report this
@16, did you read what Megan wrote @14? Her response is right.
Posted by aiff on September 23, 2010 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Dougsf 20
@1- Tell that to Sean Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or Connie Francis. Usually great advice for young people, but I think teen pop stars are an exception.
Posted by Dougsf on September 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM · Report this
19:

This is a hypothetical post about a quote Beibz probably didn't even say.

Megan should have really passed on making this post. But hey, this is more comments than LineOut ever gets in an entire day so I guess I can see why she's being so low class / bottom shelf / lame.

Hey Megan, you know kids usually gang up on 1 person, creating a false-consensus that everybody hates that kid.

This is exactly what that is, you didn't need a slog poll or faux ruminating questions about it to figure that out.

Posted by Taller Than You on September 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 22
Why couldn't you just have posted the Sesame Street vid of Katy Perry & Elmo?

The mainstream Washington Post did.

But you don't have the guts ..
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on September 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 23
@21: You're a hypothetical post about a quote Beibz probably didn't even say.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on September 23, 2010 at 1:49 PM · Report this
blip 24
wait, is justin beiber actually experiencing an episode of clinical depression? is he actually sending us a coded message that he is about to kill himself? or perhaps -- PERHAPS! -- he (allegedly) said something stupid without thinking of the broader implications, and a lot of anonymous internet people are poking fun at his (alleged) ignorance in a somewhat tasteless manner, as anonymous internet people are wont to do?

no, couldn't possibly be that. he's totally going to kill himself. how does it feel to have his blood on your hands, megan? HOW DOES IT FEEEL?
Posted by blip on September 23, 2010 at 2:14 PM · Report this
@ #1. EXACTLY.
Posted by snapfin on September 23, 2010 at 2:41 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 26
@21 "Perhaps people should have encouraged you to kill yourself during your major depressive episode a couple years back? Hows it feel?"

And you're trying to argue that I'm the "low class" one?
Posted by Megan Seling on September 23, 2010 at 3:07 PM · Report this
26:

I added "How's it feel?" in order to underscore how low class things like this are, Megan.
Posted by Taller Than You on September 23, 2010 at 3:24 PM · Report this
In other words, it's not very funny, is it?
Posted by Taller Than You on September 23, 2010 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Megan Seling 29
@27/28 Except that I never told Justin Bieber to kill himself. Anywhere. Read the post again. You do know that discussing other people's actions, and questioning whether or not they're appropriate doesn't automatically mean I condone those actions, right?
Posted by Megan Seling on September 23, 2010 at 3:28 PM · Report this
Original Bieber post:

Posted by JesseWoot on September 23, 2010 at 3:35 PM · Report this
Original Bieber Picture/Quote:

Posted by JesseWoot on September 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM · Report this
Megan, I read your post again as well as your comments. The tone really comes across as "aint it funny! the internet wants Beibz to kill himself, lolz!!" even if you are just musing about its appropriateness.

I'm sorry for hijacking this thread and being a dick about this, but in context, it just seems out of place with what is going on with the ItGetsBetterProject. I'll stop being incensed now.

@30/31: that isn't a source of the quote. It is a quote with a picture next to it.
Posted by Taller Than You on September 23, 2010 at 5:12 PM · Report this
I think everybody is missing the bigger picture here-
Everybody has a right to kill him/herself. Who are we, as people happy and content, to tell some sad sap that he HAS to live to watch us all be happy? if their all depressed wont they just bring down the party anyway? For real people, have some respect and let people off themselves with dignity, in peace.
Think about it from your end- if you tried to stop somebody and they still did it, wouldn't you feel bad and sort of responsible? That maybe there was something else you could have done? Maybe...? Well if everybody just did it whenever they wanted, it would be just commonplace.

#1- "Hey, you see Jimmy today?"
#2- "Nope, he offed himself."
#1- "Well, he held out weeks longer than I thought he would!"
#2- "Yeah, he had a good run."

The sooner we learn to accept it, the easier it is for everybody involved.
Posted by ggggggggg on September 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM · Report this
Yes, I noticed two grammar/spelling mistakes. If you're going to hate, leave my spelling/grammar out of it.

Posted by ggggggggg on September 23, 2010 at 5:40 PM · Report this
whats with all these pop celebrities and kurt cobain these days? even if they knew who he was they could never come close.
Posted by veronika.jade on September 25, 2010 at 8:35 AM · Report this
Who the fuck cares if he said that? Yeah, it makes him sound hella conceited and ignorant, but that's not a reason to want him to be dead. Y'all music elitists should get that stick out your asses because 1) this was obviously fake and if not, oh well and 2) Kurt Cobain probably wouldn't give a shit either way so why do you guys? There's more important matters to be upset about, and one of them isn't a dumb little pop star.
Posted by QueenCrimson on September 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM · Report this
All the talk about how inappropriate this post / the alleged quote / the average internet denizen is, is somewhat annoying. Political correctness kills funny.
We, the internet goblins, may ask Justin Bieber to just end the pain right there, for all of us (sadly, you can't see the tongue in cheek over the internet) - but seriously, how is this related to the ItGetsBetter project? Will anyone actually take these comments seriously? Will Justin Beiber read them and think "Oh. Maybe they got a point, and also, I'm feeling quite angsty today, so I'll just go hop off a bridge or something?" Will random teenagers read it and think "Oh, so if I off myself, I'll get to jam with BOTH Curt AND Justin!!1"? (If so, they shouldn't; Obviously two vocalists make a poor jam band).
Suicide is always a sad thing. But don't confuse humor or attempts thereat with serious things, you're spoiling the mood for us snickering goblins.
Posted by An internet goblin on September 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM · Report this
Wow. This is ignorance at it's finest. First and foremost, Bieber is allowed to say whatever he so chooses. That said, so are his fans and critics. You can agree or disagree all you want, it won't change a thing. But for those of you who disagree, what are you speaking out against? Are you afraid he might become the next (or even bigger than) Kurt Cobain? And for those of you who agree with him, research Kurt and what he meant to the world of music. For those of you discussing the mention of suicide, do you really think Bieber is going to overlook his major fan base and take all your advice? He's smarter than that. For those of you claiming that others should commit suicide just as a counter-argument, no, you don't have class. And for you absolute idiots discussing the validity of suicide as a viable option, it is NOT something that should or will ever be accepted. Go to school, read a book. It stems from a sordid past. If you choose not to help someone whose only solution is to off themselves, you might as well be in their boat. We don't need any more egotistical, self righteous dumbasses in the world.
Posted by diazinator on October 18, 2010 at 7:16 AM · Report this
I agree. When you f*ck with my man, Kurt, then it gets personal. I can't believe he said that! I haven't had a problem so much with that baby shit until now! This kid is a fad, people won't even remember him by 2015, like Nsync. How dare he compare himself to a legend!
By the way, his looks aren't special; he looks no different than any boys I went to school with so I can't understand why girls swoon over that fairy-bastard.
Posted by carascrow on November 5, 2010 at 2:54 AM · Report this
Chinga tu madre bieber, nunca vas a llegar a ser como Kurt Cobain el mejor
Posted by Pavo on January 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM · Report this