Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Want to See Weezer Break Up? Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!

Posted by on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Originally posted at 11:40 am, but moved up because WEEZER RESPONDED! Sort of, scroll down.

• How much would you pay to never have to see another album cover that looks like this?
Local dude James Burns has an idea. He wants to see Weezer quit for good and he's willing to raise a large sum of money in order to make it happen. Here's the pitch:

I have never been a fan of this band. I think that they are pretty much horrible, and always have been. Even in the early 90’s.

But this isn’t about me. This is about the Weezer fans. They are our brothers and sisters, our friends, our lovers.

Every year, Rivers Cuomo swears that he’s changed, and that their new album is the best thing that he’s done since “Pinkerton,” and what happens? Another pile of crap like “Beverly Hills” or “I’m Your Daddy.”

This is an abusive relationship, and it needs to stop now.

I am tired of my friends being disappointed year after year.I am tired of endless whimsical cutesy album covers and music videos.

I’m sick of hearing about whatever this terrible (and yes, even if you like the early stuff, you should be able to admit that they are wretched now) excuse for a band is up to these days.

If all 852,000 of you (really?) who bought “Pinkerton” pitch in $12, we will meet our goal.

I beg you, Weezer. Take our money and disappear.

If you want to see this happen, click here to learn how to donate some cash to the cause. (You'll only actually be charged if the campaign does indeed raise $10,000,000.)

Of course, even if $10 million is collected, there's the whole other side of the equation where Weezer has to accept the payout and call it quits. Somehow, I don't see Rivers taking the bait. But you never know! The dude is weird. Maybe he'd surprise us all.

(Thanks for the tip, Mr. Chris R.)

UPDATE: Weezer has responded! Sort of. After seeing the news posted on Pitchfork, Patrick Wilson, the band's drummer, took to his Twitter account to say:

patresponse.jpg

Way to make the internet go crazy again, James.

After the internet exploded with the news, I asked James some questions about the project. Like, "Are you serious?" See the Q&A after the jump.

First off, are you serious?

I would be lying if there weren't any lulz involved, but yes. I would like to see Weezer break up, and I am absolutely willing to do the leg work to collect the money to make that happen.

How did this idea come about?

Chris Rasmussen, Dan Mohr, and I were splitting a pitcher at the Tin Hat last night, and this idea came up. It was partially inspired by Tim Midgett's recent campaign to pay off Electrical Audio's mortgage, partially by an issue of Chunklet where they offer bands varying amounts of money to break up, and partially by the fact that Weezer are everywhere 15 years after they've been musically relevant, whether you try to avoid them or not.

Other 90's one-hit wonders like Sponge, Dynamite Hack, or Better Than Ezra don't get posts on Line Out or Pitchfork or Punknews or whatever every time they use the can, so why Weezer? If I'm going to be really real, this is a roundabout effort to figure out why the media is still interested in this band despite them not releasing a decent album in over a decade (or I would say, ever.) Instead I'm bombarded with their zany new album cover and crappy new signal every year on the internet. At this point, they're kinda like the Insane Clown Posse, but with guitars and Buddy Holly glasses.

Many of my friends keep getting their hopes that their new album is going to be their big return to form. I'm tired of it. Even my girlfriend, the world's biggest Weezer apologist, concedes that they should have packed it in after side one of The Green Album.

So why do we still care what Weezer does? Why do I know the names of their best albums and last several singles when I don't even like them? The answer is that everybody, including me, needs to shut the fuck up about Weezer and let them die on the vine. That would be just as effective as raising $10 million.

Let's say you do raise the $10 mill. How do you plan on approaching the band with it?

They know where to find me. I'm sure I could figure out where to find them.

How long are you willing to keep this going?

As long as it takes for me to raise $10 mil.

What will you do if they don't take it (because they most certainly will not take it)? Will folks get their money back?

If the band refuses, I will refund everybody's money, minus the 5% that The Point takes.

Whether or not this works, do you have any other bands on your radar that you'd like to stop? We might be able to get a shittier band to shut up for even cheaper, you know.

I would be willing to run to the ATM and pull out $100 of my own money to end Attack Attack!

I saw it was on some Weezer message board. Are you prepared for the wrath of Weezer fans?

I am not afraid of Weezer fans. I can take it. Besides, I'm doing this mostly for them.

Comments (105) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
alithea 1
pretty sure $10,000,000 is less than what they make on a regular tour sooo...
Posted by alithea on October 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM · Report this
"This is an abusive relationship. . ."

nice.
Posted by gi on October 5, 2010 at 11:53 AM · Report this
tallchris 3
I'm really enjoying James' viral follow up to "Having Fun On Stage With Fugazi".
Posted by tallchris http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com on October 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM · Report this
J. Burns 4
In before "I will give Police Teeth/Cold Lake $20 to break up lulululz."

Anyway, I know that collecting the money is a super long shot, especially because people don't think I'm serious about this. I absolutely am.

If we raise the money, and Rivers doesn't take it, I will be offering refunds. I will still consider this a success, though, if just for a second it gives Rivers pause, and plants a seed.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM · Report this
fadjam 5
There are about 10-million better ways to spend $10,000,000.
Posted by fadjam on October 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM · Report this
matt 6
I love you James, but a better solution would be to ignore Weezer, encourage others to ignore Weezer, and give money to Strangercrombie. Come on man. This is silly.
Posted by matt on October 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM · Report this
J. Burns 7
I cannot ignore Weezer. The fact that I can't stand this band, but know the names of their last several singles, what their best album is supposedly and what their goofy fucking albums look like prove that their influence on popular culture is much too pervasive.

Some bands I can ignore just fine. Linkin Park has new album out? Whatever.

But every time Weezer puts out a new crap fest I am innundated with bullshit about it on every website/blog I read (including this one), it's all over my Facebook feed, it's everywhere, I simply cannot "just ignore" Weezer.

The only solution I can see is to kill the head so that the body will die.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM · Report this
I already told you, J - "for each head cut off, it grew two more" - beware the Hydra!
Posted by Arson Smith on October 5, 2010 at 2:14 PM · Report this
I already warned you, J. - "for each head cut off, it grew two more" - beware the Hydra!
Posted by Arson Smith on October 5, 2010 at 2:17 PM · Report this
I'm with JB on this one. Looking forward to seeing it play out.
Posted by Levislade http://ballofwax.org on October 5, 2010 at 2:28 PM · Report this
I'm 85 Years Old 11
This is like a version of mousetrap. How bout instead, um, I don't know, STOP BUYING THEIR RECORDS AND GOING TO THEIR SHOWS!

You can't make her leave that man or this shitty band.
Posted by I'm 85 Years Old on October 5, 2010 at 2:49 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 12
I don't like your approach towards dissing the old stuff, but at least you are honest.....I sure as hell can get behind this kill weezer now donation fund though.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on October 5, 2010 at 2:52 PM · Report this
derrickito 13
fuck you all, i like weezer
Posted by derrickito on October 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM · Report this
J. Burns 14
@11: Like I said before, if everyone would shut the fuck up about them, and let them go the way of Better Than Ezra or Dynamite Hack, this wouldn't be an issue.

@12: I kinda like "Jamie." That's a decent jam. "Hash Pipe" is mildly amusing/enjoyable to me because it actually has a riff. Other than that, I don't see what everyone else I know sees in this band. We can all bond over their last 3480298 records being complete garbage, though.

Not trying to play the punker-than-thou card by any means, but I was 13 in 1994 and already well on my way to discovering decent music by then, so I had limited use for "gateway" bands.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 15
ew, hashpipe? srsly?

see, now that was the first red flag, the canary in the coalmine (if you will), that this band had shit the bed

Posted by Andy_Squirrel on October 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM · Report this
tallchris 16
Jesus, Pitchfork and the Onion AV Club have picked this up.

James, you've really topped your viral skills developed with "Having Fun On Stage With Fugazi".
Posted by tallchris http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com on October 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM · Report this
haters gonna hate
Posted by trashbot on October 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM · Report this
hey j.burns, why dont u get all that money buy you and your friends that dont like weezer and have nothing better to do with their lives and get the hell out of the face of the earth.

I dont like lots of bands, but at least I have enough sense of respect and stop listen to them and just get busy doing lots of productive things, instead of wasting time.

Um grande vai se foder do Brasil, filho da puta!

I most really love Hannah Montana dont u?

Posted by fuck j.burns on October 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM · Report this
People actually say "lulz"?
Posted by Nick on October 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM · Report this
J. Burns 20
Hi, Nick. Welcome to the internet. Enjoy your stay.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM · Report this
DavidC 21
Some people want to fill the world with silly pop songs
What's wrong with that?
Posted by DavidC http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/ on October 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM · Report this
wilbur@work 22
I've been able to ignore Weezer for their entire career, while listening to plenty of relevant sources of great music. I know about the buddy holly song, that's it. So, good luck with your collection, but hope you follow others' suggestions here and donate it to something worthy. This, and they, are not.
Posted by wilbur@work on October 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM · Report this
Brian Cook 23
i'm with you, J.

Weezer has always been terrible.
Posted by Brian Cook http://www.last.fm/user/bubblegutz on October 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM · Report this
In a few minutes we are going to interview James Burns on www.hollowearthradio.org Tune in!
Posted by JaredRules on October 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM · Report this
I would happily trade Weezer to get more Sponge and Better than Ezra. Then again, I'm probably as fond of them as I am because they accepted their one-hit-wonder status 15 years ago (and thus, my love of them is still enshrined in amber in the mid-90s, where it belongs, instead of having to see them now).
Posted by Cow on October 5, 2010 at 6:43 PM · Report this
Dear Mr. Burns,

You, sir, are and idiot.
Posted by anonexistentuser on October 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM · Report this
I'm a Weezer fan, and I hate the new stuff, too. But you know, I saw them at Bumbershoot, it was lots of fun, and Rivers acknowledged that we mostly wanted to hear the old stuff. They seemed to be having a good time and enjoying themselves as a band, and they gave a really good performance. So whatever, keep having fun Weezer, I wish you the best.
Posted by Jen in Spokane on October 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM · Report this
Keekee 28
"You, sir, are and idiot."

That is gold! Who doesn't love that????
Posted by Keekee on October 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM · Report this
i love people who bitch about pop music and how bad it is as if some one is holding a gun to their head making them listen to maladroit and the fame on an endless loop.

you don't need to participate in pop culture. instead of trying to throw millions of dollars at rich people you don't like maybe you could just, i don't know, turn off the radio?
Posted by olive on October 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM · Report this
What an elitist. I'm sure this guy hates The Flaming Lips and Vampire Weekend too or just about any band that is simply fun.
Posted by whowhatwhowhat on October 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM · Report this
J. Burns 31
@30 I like The Flaming Lips okay. As far as "simply fun" goes, I'll take the Dirtbombs or The Night Marchers over just about everyone else, though.

In general I am getting a kick out of the lack of reading comprehension skills of the "just turn off the radio" crowd. How 'bout I take that $10 mil and start an RIF program in Seattle instead?
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM · Report this
Not to take sides, but I'd be really interested to see "James" list what he was into at 13 and what he is into now. At least that would show some balls, letting other people judge what he likes. Dirtbombs and Night Marchers were mentioned. What else "James?"
Posted by Leon Durham on October 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM · Report this
Posted by Brent Fullwood on October 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM · Report this
I hate people with interests different than myself and will pay millions of dollars for the source of that interest to go away.
Posted by Rational thought on October 5, 2010 at 9:02 PM · Report this
Nickleback just breathed a sigh of relief.
Posted by my influences are mainly german on October 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM · Report this
J. Burns 36
Leon:

"James" is my real name. No need for quotes.

My two all-time favorite bands are The Fall and Motorhead.

When I was 13, I was just starting to get into punk and related genres. Probably the most embarrassing thing was Nine Inch Nails or maybe Filter, but I'll own it. Fugazi, Jawbox, and Unsane were the big three for me, and I still love those bands today. Rocket From The Crypt's "Scream Dracula Scream" and Hum's "You'd Prefer An Astronaut" also dropped the summer before I turned 14, and I jammed those a lot. Also the Flaming Lips' "Transmissions From The Satellite Heart." I went to my first "real" punk show around then, too. Karp, Crayon, and Knapsack. My mom came to pick me up before Hazel went on, so I was kinda bummed about that.

I had a brief, unfortunate pop-punk phase in my mid-teens, but I'll totally own it. Also went through a "Steve Albini can do no wrong" phase and perhaps never recovered from having a punk-rock stick up my ass. I'll cop to that.

Today, one of my biggest musical obsessions is 60's garage and psych. Nuggets/Pebbles/Back From The Grave comps. Love the Chocolate Watchband. Love Chants R&B. Also love a lot of 70's and 80's punk classics, Minutemen, Husker Du, Naked Raygun, etc. Also a lot of 90's rap: Ice Cube, Geto Boys, Public Enemy, etc. Some current bands I enjoy aside from the aforementioned Night Marchers and Dirtbombs: Constantines, Coliseum, Future Of The Left, Fucked Up, Obits, The Thermals, The Lamps.

I also think Pig Destroyer and Hot Snakes were responsible for the best records of the past decade, so take from that what you will.

So yeah, basically cherry picking my favorite stuff from the indie, punk, hardcore/metal and related genres.

If none of these are your jam, and you wanna rake me over the coals, go for it. That's what the internet is for. I'm old(ish) and I can take it.
More...
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 9:22 PM · Report this
I'll pay James $10 million to never use a computer anymore. Same thing. How can someone be a true fan of expression and music and think this is a good idea? Sure, I think some bands are just terrible (probably most of the bands James claims to like) but they are pretty easy to avoid even if they are posted on Pitchfork and every other major blog. James is a whore. Listen to his interview on the radio. Hypocrite.
Posted by 1st Amendment on October 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM · Report this
J. Burns 38
@37: in cash?

Bring the briefcase and we'll talk.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM · Report this
Hey "1st Amendment" - it feels good to talk shit on the internet, doesn't it?
Posted by hydra on October 5, 2010 at 9:36 PM · Report this
matt 40
Meanwhile, America is at war and I have to borrow money to pay for groceries. James, you are the shiz as a dude and yr bands slay. But there are simply better ways to spend time and money.
Posted by matt on October 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM · Report this
@36

Dude, is it seriously your goal to get Weezer to break up? In your @36 post, you admittedly list guilty pleasures that are ripe for the "pay an exorbitant amount of money to break up" picking. That is somewhat admirable. But, can't you put yourself in your own past shoes? If you are really willing to spend some of your own valuable time to break up a band you don't like, while you have just admitted that you have had embarrassing phases that you "cop to" and defend, isn't that a big contradiction? I have a better idea that will save you a lot of time, effort and self-endorsing radio interviews. Live and let live. If you really don't give a shit about a band, don't give a shit enough to do a goddamn thing. Like what you like and let everyone else figure it out for themselves.
Posted by LeonDurham2 on October 5, 2010 at 9:46 PM · Report this
J. Burns 42
Which Matt are you?

Mostly I agree with you. There are better ways to spend money for sure. I'm not stressing it because I will readily admit that getting anywhere close to $10m is a total long shot at best. Shit, we've yet to break four digits.

The people who are getting seriously bent out of shape about this are blowing my mind. All I can do is keep hitting refresh and laugh my ass off.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 9:47 PM · Report this
Hey Hydra, am I starting a movement to pay someone to destroy the internet?
Posted by 1stamendment1st on October 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM · Report this
matt 44
Matt Garman. Hello! I had lunch with Adam today, btw, which is weird. We discussed this very topic while eating delicious tacos.

and now I ask: you say you're serious, but it seems like a publicity stunt as well. Is it?
Posted by matt on October 5, 2010 at 9:51 PM · Report this
Dude. Matt. Chill the eff out. Times are hard for everyone, so any person willing to shell out a few bucks for this MUST REALLY WANT IT. And have a sense of humor. And not get butt-hurt about internet memes.

I love the weez and I think this whole thing is mahfuckin' hilarious. Dudes should have NEVER made the brown album (maladroit) or the red album or "raditude" - all suck major donkey balls. And J.Burns? "Jamie" is great but "Paperface" is where it is at. KITCHEN TAPES 4EVA.
Posted by hydra on October 5, 2010 at 9:58 PM · Report this
J. Burns 46
@36: If anyone wants to pay The Mr. T Experience or Filter millions of dollars to stop playing music, they can be my guest. I judge the musicians, not the people who buy the record. My girlfriend is a Weezer fan. She thinks this is funny, mostly. She also wants them to break up.

Garman: Hi! It was tavern banter that grew legs. I should have learned my lesson from the Fugazi stage banter tape, but I didn't expect this thing to go nuts this quick.

To answer your question: yes, I would sincerely like to never hear about Weezer ever again, but there is a bit of Andy Kaufman in everything I do. You should know this already.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 9:59 PM · Report this
J. Burns 47
Or @41, rather. Durrrrr.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM · Report this
@43 - if you were, could I call YOU a "whore" on the internet?
Posted by hydra on October 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM · Report this
matt 49
I'm quite chill, I swears. It's just kind of, you know, ridiculous; I think I can remain chill while I point this out. But it seems like what we have here is a very effective way to get people talking about how Weezer suxx now.
Posted by matt on October 5, 2010 at 10:13 PM · Report this
d-lyte 50
Wow this is pretty weak.... Weezer has a multi-platinum career, sells albums, sells tickets to their shows, and is a massive success in the music industry. If you don't like them, don't buy their albums, don't go to their shows... and don't waste your time whining about how you don't like them. I don't like a lot of bands, and I am not raising money to make them break-up. Please, get a real and constructive pass-time and don't bother us with your pathetic BS.

If your life is really that boring where you have to dedicate time to a cause such as this, I pity you. Please dedicate your time and effort to a worthy cause, there are plenty out there.

Posted by d-lyte on October 5, 2010 at 10:40 PM · Report this
What a bunch of snobs
Posted by Democrat1234 on October 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM · Report this
WAH
Posted by hydra on October 5, 2010 at 10:45 PM · Report this
Eric Fundingsland 53
This is possibly the best idea I have ever heard. If only someone would have thought of this before Make Believe. $20 million if Rivers never makes any form of music again.
Posted by Eric Fundingsland on October 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM · Report this
watchout5 54
You lost me at "I'm going to take my 5% if they refuse"

So really the guy has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Even if he raised 100k, which I'm doubting he will, he still takes in 5 grand for what, a few months of effort doing something he loves? I just don't see why I should give a fuck.
Posted by watchout5 http://www.overclockeddrama.com on October 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM · Report this
J. Burns 55
Last thing I wanna address: yeah, we're in two wars right now. Yeah, there are more pressing issues in the world than Weezer releasing new music. Yeah, there are more important things we should be putting our money towards.

I agree 100%.

So exactly WHY is a shitty alt-rock band being in bed with a snowboard company and putting the dude from Lost on their album cover newsworthy? And why do I have a million opportunities to read about it? My campaign is pretty silly, and not very worthy of column inches. Absolutely. 100%. But you're going to tell me that the new Weezer abortion is?

This is a big part of the point I was trying to make with this thing.
Posted by J. Burns on October 6, 2010 at 12:04 AM · Report this
J. Burns 56
@54. I don't take the 5%, The Point, the website who is hosting it does. I have no affiliation with them.
Posted by J. Burns on October 6, 2010 at 12:06 AM · Report this
beacuse they're not a shitty alt-rock band ?
Posted by perish on October 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM · Report this
Troll: Successful!
Posted by True on October 6, 2010 at 3:39 AM · Report this
You seem to be forgetting (or ignoring) the fact that Weezer are currently at their best in terms of live performances. Would you require them to stop playing live too?
Posted by LouiseLikesCake on October 6, 2010 at 4:11 AM · Report this
Hey losers.Stop concerning yourself with trite matters and bribery schemes and form your own bands.What is wrong with you?
Posted by Clearly Awake on October 6, 2010 at 5:06 AM · Report this
Timmytee 61
@19: Prettyt sure they don't actually SAY it, just like nobody says,"#!%$*@!#", but everyone knows what it means, no? And who is /are Weezer? Didn't they do that tune "Piss Up a Rope"? 'Cause that was pretty funny.
Posted by Timmytee on October 6, 2010 at 5:42 AM · Report this
Fenrox 62
This is just going to result in that dude who wrote this appearing in a Weezer video.
Posted by Fenrox on October 6, 2010 at 7:29 AM · Report this
I don't mind that you hate Weezer James. Hell, The Blue Album was the only one I ever really enjoyed. But why not raise the money and get rid of Insane Clown Posse. Their fans make me fear for humanity.
Posted by Chris G. on October 6, 2010 at 7:36 AM · Report this
What a silly cunt! I think James is just after some cash to support his severe Axe Body Spray habit.
Posted by KennyBoBenny on October 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM · Report this
Wow. While this headline seemed hilarious at first glance, upon further reading, this guy seems like an incredibly pompous jerk. I sometimes wonder if people like him even experience any joy from music at all, or whether it's really just about putting down other people's tastes and opinions to inflate their own egos. God forbid anyone get any sort of enjoyment out of anything that these types deem inferior, because they, as this gentleman has illustrated, are the ultimate authority on what people should listen to. Here's the thing though, if mainstream pop bands like Weezer didn't exist, then all of these music snobs' precious, obscure bands would BE the mainstream. I'd like to see what they'd be listening to then. Pots and pans clanging together, released only on Maxell cassette tapes perhaps? So here's to the kid at home right now, rocking out to "Pork and Beans". To me, that's a lot more true to the spirit of rock and roll than some arrogant breakup campaign.
Posted by fake british accents on October 6, 2010 at 9:30 AM · Report this
this isn't about indie vs. mainstream, its about Cuomo and Co. deliberately exploiting the goodwill and nostalgia generated by their first two records and continually promising that their new record will be a "return to form" in some way or another. Whenever a band looks at an album and says "oh, yeah, that wasn't very good, we're sorry for disappointing our fans" (like W did after Make Believe) it's a string-along.

and 65-- I don't think you have a clear picture of how music fandom works.
Posted by gi on October 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM · Report this
lucidslumber 67
I'm not here to debate what constitutes quality in music. For the record, I'm a Weezer fan, currently enjoying the hell out of Hurley, and could give a flying fuck what anyone thinks about it. I just feel that there are so many, doing far less, for much more money, getting 10 fold the press that Weezer gets. How 'bout a fundraiser to get rid of Justin Bieber. Or Twilight. Maybe Kesha and Katy Perry? Oh, I know. Fundamentalist Christians! Wouldn't it be nice........
Posted by lucidslumber on October 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM · Report this
How about a fundraiser that uses $10m to do some actual good in the world?
Posted by azereki on October 6, 2010 at 12:57 PM · Report this
How about a fundraiser that uses $10m to do some actual good in the world? This is pathetic.
Posted by azereki on October 6, 2010 at 12:58 PM · Report this
I can't give my money to this cause quick enough. One request: Can we wait until the Blinkerton tour has ended? It seemed sort of sad when I first heard about it, but as a farewell tour it would be perfect.

There's plenty of shitty music out there but it's painful to see a band disgrace themselves like this. Pinkerton is far & away my favorite album of all time. Around the time of the Green Album I read how Rivers was hurt by the poor initial sales of Pinkerton, an album that was deeply personal to him, and as a result he'd never write such personal songs again. Thus began this dark period of souless pop crap. I've hung on for years waiting for Rivers to grow some balls and have some artistic courage. Clearly, it will never happen. Please make it stop.
Posted by where the half-japanese girls at? on October 6, 2010 at 1:18 PM · Report this
Everybody just buy Wilco records instead.
Posted by stauers on October 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM · Report this
Gotta admit, while I think mr burns is some what of a pretentious bastard ("owning up" to your musical taste, if you liked it who gives a fuck?) I find this whole enterprise hysterical. I feel like there's a lack of comprehension on both sides and I thank the internet for enabling you idiots. I hope you don't succeed, but I find it unlikely. Take it how you may, but I like weezer. I'll "own up" to that. But I will follow this thread and continue to watch the pretentious debate the idiots. Maybe by the end one of you will have proven yourself more worthless.
Posted by JewsusKhan on October 6, 2010 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Just buy Wilco records
Posted by stauers on October 6, 2010 at 1:26 PM · Report this
James- I had no idea you owned NIN or Filter records. I don't think we can see each other anymore. Also, I just accidentally set fire to your nearly finished guitar.

There is also zero chance that I once owned Ministry albums.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on October 6, 2010 at 3:25 PM · Report this
Eric Fundingsland 75
@ 74 - Yeah, you always struck me as more of a KMFDM fan.
Posted by Eric Fundingsland on October 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM · Report this
KMFDM IS THE DRUG AGAINST WAR!!!!
Posted by gi on October 6, 2010 at 5:51 PM · Report this
Weezer can actually play instruments. I say give the 10 million to rappers and girl singers to learn how to be actual musicians.
Posted by John G on October 6, 2010 at 6:01 PM · Report this
This money would be better spent on Nickelback.
Posted by AhemNason on October 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM · Report this
Grow up!
If you don't know how to ignore music you don't like, maybe it's you that has the problem.
I'm not purposely ignoring Weezer, but I really almost never hear their music. And with your taste in music maybe you should start listening to radio stations where they play Motorhead. Bet they never play Weezer!

For somebody that never wants to hear Weezer's music again you probably have chosen the worst way to accomplish that EVER!
You don't want to hear about them, but you invest loads of time in them right now. The time you spent on commenting here... Can't be the only site you're investing your time in.

And did you ever hear that negative attention still is attention? People will get curious about Weezer album because of your action, radio stations will bring your action to the listener's attention accompanied by Weezer songs. If anything: you help them get more airplay and sell more albums.

And I'm happy for that. They guys do what they love and love what they do. They still have fans that don't regret spending money on their albums or shows. I wish I got to do for a living what I like! If anything: I'm jealous of them.
Posted by Maude on October 7, 2010 at 12:34 AM · Report this
you realize by doing this you are only giving them MORE attention, right? Good luck, though.
Posted by toota on October 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM · Report this
im sure you'd be quick to keep that money for yourself since you sound like a young twat who would.
Posted by george76484 on October 7, 2010 at 7:44 AM · Report this
10 mil is small potatoes you are a silly douche
Posted by whywaronweezer on October 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM · Report this
NUMBER 65

you said it all for me, thanks!

TO HIPSTERS; this deal would more likely be accepted by a POOR band like the ones most of you like to support and listen to hahaha is that irony or what?
Posted by GAYHIPSTER on October 7, 2010 at 7:53 AM · Report this
to whoever suggested that you should go buy Wilco records instead: please get up now, snuff out that doob you've been smoking since you woke up (at 1pm), turn off the cartoons you've been watching instead of getting a fucking job, slide on them birkenstocks, walk to your nearest bridge and throw yourself off of it...

thanks!
Posted by WilcoSucksDieHippie on October 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM · Report this
You are absolutely insane. Even if Weezer was the most vile band on earth, which they are not, why not raise 10 million dollars to help starving children or help towards a cure some disease. Maybe, just maybe, if you pull your head out of your behind you would understand that your train of thought is 100% ridiculous.
Posted by DoesntReallyMatter6 on October 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM · Report this
tallchris 86
James did update the point campaign with what he plans to do with the money if the $10 million is raised and Weezer declines it:

Posted by tallchris http://policeteeth.bandcamp.com on October 7, 2010 at 5:25 PM · Report this
corey j brewer 87
@ wilcosucksdiehippie I agree wholeheartedly and I urge you to start a band named after your nomme d'plume.
Posted by corey j brewer http://coreyjbrewer.tumblr.com/ on October 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM · Report this
ADoodle 88
Weezer was my first ever concert and I had a big crush on Rivers Cuomo in high school. Last time I thought their music was worth buying was 4 songs from their 2002 album. (I have nothing useful to add to this discussion.)
Posted by ADoodle on October 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM · Report this
Okay. Funny! Especially on paper. However, this is a far too complicated and time consuming project for anyone to buy into, for both Weezer and their fans.

Having crap bands continuing to make music is a FIRST WORLD PROBLEM, SO SHUT YOUR HOLE. 10 Million Dollars could be spent on far (as in "way!") better causes.

You little brat!

I'll give you 50 dollars to let me brat-slap you, BRAT.
Posted by Every Day Is Saturday on October 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM · Report this
James Burns - knob end of the year "hurrah"
Posted by jamesisamASSIVEKNOBEND on October 9, 2010 at 3:32 AM · Report this
Guys, show your support for Weezer here! http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/page… We can't let this d-bag get away with this!
Posted by renegade5678 on October 9, 2010 at 3:29 PM · Report this
I don't know if anyone will see this but this whole offering-weezer-money-to-break-up thing made it into last thursday's new york times.

that's grassroots for you...
Posted by I noticed on October 10, 2010 at 7:24 AM · Report this
Beren 93
I've been a Weezer fan since the beginning, and will admit that some of their new material has been hit or miss. But there are still many songs I enjoy on their newer albums, and by no means do I consider the band to be creatively stagnant. Sure, they have some weak tracks; but so do a lot of good bands. There are also a LOT worse artists out there (ICP, Michael Bolton, Justin Beiber... the list goes on). Nice job getting people's attention though, you certainly got mine (heard about this on NPR this morning). Maybe you should use this 15 minutes of fame to draw attention to a legitimate social problem that deserves people's money. Just a thought.
Posted by Beren on October 11, 2010 at 8:09 AM · Report this
Give the money to a charity and just don't buy any more albums! I've heard of some idiotic stunts before simply to get the organisers name in the media a little but this takes the biscuit.

We have this little thing called Market Forces people. When enough people tire of Weezer and stop buying their albums and paying to see them live, they will dry up and stop making music. They are obviously not going to take some handout to quit!

Really.. there are people dying in the world in poverty stricken countries and you think this is worthwhile?!

If there were a douche of the year award I'd put your name forward.... and I don't even like Weezer!
Posted by Eckyman on October 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM · Report this
James, I loved your noble attempt to raise enough cash to send Weezer into the great beyond. But I am saddened by your list of all-time favorite bands.

"The Fall"? "Motorhead"? All-time favorites?

If your idea of the "worst band ever" is Weezer, and "best band ever" is Motorhead, then, my son, you know almost nothing about music.

Here's another way to learn about music: you like "The Fall", right? They released their first album around 1976. Look up "Best rock albums 1976" on Google. What do you get? Aerosmith's "Rocks" album; The Ramones' first; "Presence" by Led Zeppelin; "Wired" by Jeff Beck; Blondie's first album; "Station to Station" by David Bowie; "Legalize It" by Peter Tosh; "Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy; "Small Change" by Tom Waits; "Rastaman Vibration" by Bob Marley!!!

I was growing up in those years; I saw the Clash on their 2nd US tour. Believe me, "The Fall" may seem interesting now, compared to all the shitty bands around, but back when they came out they were just a 3d-rate Clash ripoff.

You can do the same exercise with any band you like. Motorhead released their first record in '75... the year Led Zeppelin released "Physical Graffiti", Pink Floyd released "Wish You Were Here"...the Who came out with "Who By Numbers"; the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" soundtrack came out! You have been wandering in a musical wilderness your whole life! Motorhead was OK, but they were so far back in the musical pack then that I never even bothered to buy one of their albums. I had no time for them - there was too much far superior music around.

I hope you take my advice and check out some of your favorite artists' much superior contemporaries using the method I described above. You've been living in black and white... you are about to enter the world of Technicolor - if you dare. Have fun!

Mark from Chicago
More...
Posted by Mark from Chicago on October 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM · Report this
I wish they would do that for Justin Bieber!
Posted by umm yeah... on October 19, 2010 at 1:46 PM · Report this
Some of you people are just being contrary. This is an extremely hilarious idea, and even if the money isn't raised at least this guy brought some laughs. As far as this philanthropic posturing goes, the guy is asking for an average donation of $12 per fan. How much are all you Mother Teresa's paying for Internet service for the opportunity to piss on this guy's party? Why not disconnect and send your $12 to your own charity? Chumps.
Posted by Russ on November 5, 2010 at 11:29 PM · Report this
Dude you haven't even cracked 1000. Just go back in your cave and quit trying to use weezer as a ploy to attract attention to yourself. Whiny bitch.
Posted by joe mama on February 13, 2011 at 10:23 AM · Report this
Dumb ass. You just drew a shit load more attention to the band you loathe. They are probably making 10x more on royalties off the back of your publicity stunt 'campaign' than you're getting in your quit-pot. Or perhaps you're as in cahoots as Hurley is.
Posted by Milk Man on November 3, 2011 at 4:26 AM · Report this
Do you realize all of the attention you're giving Weezer right now?
Posted by ragingcelery on November 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM · Report this
Why not use your apparent fundraising skills to get yourself a life and some therapy instead of trying to play god with a top band? Serious waste of time. Weezer are still great..
Posted by JCF1000 on November 11, 2011 at 5:35 AM · Report this
derek_erdman 102
"top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band" "top band"
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on November 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM · Report this
We like Weezer! I don't suppose they're the Beatles, but they entertain us greatly. And Pat's response to this fundraiser is all you need to know about why that is!

For me, they dress like hipsters (and I don't dig hipsters) and all that, but I don't think they're comfortable being pigeon-holed into any one thing and they would mock the hipster thing in a second. They care about the music, but they're also fun and charming. They appear to be using their (considerable) powers for good!

And the comment about this being a "first-world problem"? Amen, brother! I think it's in great fun and I don't mind keeping my favorite band on their toes!
Posted by isednom on November 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM · Report this
This is a silly endeavor. I doubt this will ever result in any form of success. I am not defending Weezer because I'll admit they really botched things with their new work but to try and shut them down completely is a joke. You said so yourself, you're barely hitting 4 digit numbers. You had your lulz and your fun but you can't really be serious about this?
Posted by 1thatoneguy1 on December 12, 2012 at 11:33 AM · Report this
reanim888 105
really information for me
Posted by reanim888 http://amazondiscount.drupalgardens.com/content/amazon-discount-finder on October 19, 2014 at 8:17 AM · Report this