Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

You've Got The Stones

Posted by on Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Late pass for me but I just caught wind of the Weezer drama round here. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I do treasure those first two albums, and definitely hearken back to when I first heard Marco Collins play "The Sweater Song". Lulz and such at the campaign but I thought it was funny that in the comments section, the world's most dedicated Weezer hater J.Burns (dude, are you related to J.Cole, J.Pinder, or J.Period?) cited "Jamie" as the one Weezer jam he sort of liked. Uh, YEAH, "Jamie" is the shit, and first came to the world on the awesome DGC Rarities Vol.1 tape, a bit of a personal classic even if it had some real booshit on it.

that dog.'s "Grunge Couple", that was the fucking goods; there was the aspect of an LA band calling out a Seattle stereotype (a satisfactory volley back for all the Angelenos getting bashed weekly on Almost Live), plus the awesome end-credits-of-Sesame Street violin breakdown at the end. I stanned hard for that dog. and still do to this day; it was love at first sight from the first time I saw "Old Timer" on Bohemia Afterdark. Plus, y'know. Nirvana demo. The Sundays. "Mad Dog 20/20". Sloan's double Eric's Trip cover. What's Murray Attaway doing these days? Shit, I actually looked that up earlier this year.

The DGC label was seww cool to a kid like me sprung on gateway bands, and yeah, Sonic Youth helped make that happen, as the other guy in the running for Musical Hater of the Week award contender, Mr. Steve Albini recently griped about ; I thought it was hellar sweet that they had a song on a compilation called "Compilation Blues". And that it sorta sucked. I loved that fake indie comp, and it in turn helped me find cooler music and I'll love it forever; much like with Big Trouble In Little China, I always secretly hoped for a sequel.

But I don't know, dude, citing "Jamie"? That, to me, is such a undercover-Weezer-fan thing to say, Mr. Weezer Hater. JUST SAYING.

Comments (10) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
OH MY GOD YOU'VE CRACKED THE CODE
Posted by hydra on October 5, 2010 at 9:35 PM · Report this
J. Burns 2
Nope. I bought that comp because I wanted the unreleased Sonic Youth and Nirvana tracks.

Not related to J. Pinder, but I like to abbreviate my name this way because it looks like J. Mascis or J. Robbins. I'll cop to that.

Really hilarious how seriously everyone is taking this. I really like your writing, Larry. I expected more from you.
Posted by J. Burns on October 5, 2010 at 9:37 PM · Report this
Perhaps he knows someone who likes =w= and has heard that song before. I mean, you're right... it IS pretty obscure. Totally.
Posted by hydra on October 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 4
you expected more from me? i'm not really taking this very serious, man. stay on your grind, no hate
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on October 5, 2010 at 9:41 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 5
and thanks for the love btw
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on October 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM · Report this
Expected more? Where's the rap blogger handicap? I'm impressed with you, J. Burns!

I'd paypal $12 but I'm a downloader. Keep releasing (free by default) records on the man's dime, Weezer!

Posted by In It For The Lulz on October 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM · Report this
J. Burns 7
Also, no love for "Wild Goose Chasin'?"
Posted by J. Burns on October 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM · Report this
that dog. (the proper way to write it!) is and always will be the shit. Anna Waronker should have been bigger than Weezer, and probably would have if 90s music wasn't such a man's game. "Retreat From the Sun" is the Pinkerton for people who never fit into the boys club. Such a lost gem.
Posted by qwerty on October 6, 2010 at 10:02 AM · Report this
I'd be really excited if this got us all into talking about the midlevel/one-hit 90s altrockers that we thought were actually good.
Posted by gi on October 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 10
qwerty got me. i almost wrote it that way but i felt like a dick.
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on October 6, 2010 at 11:25 AM · Report this