Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, November 22, 2010

It's a Cold World Out There.. I Think I'm Getting a Little Frosty Myself

Posted by on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Hot diggity damn. Whenever the weather turns sour, sunny music doesn't cut it anymore. That's when I pull out my favorite winter records and listen to them non-stop. Here are a couple of my favorites; what are your favorite winter albums?

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

Always a good call for a winter album. A subterraneous masterpiece with beats that freeze the blood in your veins. The raps are cynical and grim, cold and dark. 'Nuff said.

Portishead - Dummy

I can't think of a Portishead track that doesn't remind me of freezing weather. Trudging through sleet and snow—it's a feeling that permeates their lazy, plodding drums, lackadaisical scratches and Beth Gibbons' breathy, taught voice. Turn the lights low and let the streetlights glint off the snow for this one.

Honorable mentions: Aesop Rock - Labor Days and Duke Ellington & John Coltrane (Impulse, '63)

Especially these tracks:

Comments (5) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Larry Mizell, Jr. 1
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Ghostface - Pretty Toney Album
J Dilla - Welcome To Detroit
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on November 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM · Report this
corey j brewer 2
GZA - Liquid Swords
IMMORTAL - Sons of Northern Darkness
Joy Division - Closer
Posted by corey j brewer http://coreyjbrewer.tumblr.com/ on November 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM · Report this
sevendaughters 3
Damn, I love 'Pigeon'.

I still rate the first A Silver Mt Zion record highly despite them turning into an earnest Crazy Horse + undergrad politics & poetry outfit.
Posted by sevendaughters on November 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM · Report this
Travis Ritter 4
Broadcast - Ha Ha Sound
Vashti Bunyan - Some Things Just Stick In Your Mind
The Sound - From The Lion's Mouth
Posted by Travis Ritter http://nuglifer.wordpress.com on November 23, 2010 at 1:19 AM · Report this
Totally agree on Cannibal Ox, perfect winter album, especially on headphones in a northeastern city.

I also like The Knife, especially Silent Shout. Music that was recorded in that cold a climate can't help but carry some of the chill with it.
Posted by McGillicuddy on July 5, 2011 at 12:00 PM · Report this