Line Out Music & the City at Night

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Man, That Last M.I.A. Record is Just Nowhere in the Year End Lists, Is It?

Posted by on Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 11:14 AM

M.I.A.-MAYA-Album-Cover.jpg

Won't link to all the individual outlets' lists here—they're easy enough to find—but M.I.A.'s latest is barely a blip on most of them. I agree with this assessment—I thought MAYA was a huge, messy, hard-to-hear disappointment—but I'm surprised that the rest of the critical world seems to agree. I guess at the time of its release so many reviews/profiles/puff pieces were still so wrapped up with truffle-gate that maybe you didn't really notice whether or not anyone actually liked the thing. But now, in year-end time, it's just like the album never even happened at all. Which actually might be for the best. MAYA was a monster, but it's not one MIA can't/won't bounce back from, especially given the benefit of some collective amnesia.

(Also: Hi, Line Out, did you miss me? I missed you.)

Comments (12) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
If you didn't notice that most folks hated it, then you weren't paying attention. That hatred was shouted loud and often, even during truffle-gate.

Not slagging you, bro, just saying. The thing got slammed from the beginning, and it never let up.

Welcome back, by the way.
Posted by Grease Wizard on December 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM · Report this
cosby 2
(Still)born freeeeeee.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on December 20, 2010 at 9:08 AM · Report this
I hope she doesn't bounce back from this. She's awful.
Posted by noeffortatall on December 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 4
you're all wrong.
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on December 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM · Report this
Posted by corey j brewer http://coreyjbrewer.tumblr.com/ on December 20, 2010 at 12:55 PM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 6
*tips hat
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on December 20, 2010 at 1:28 PM · Report this
stupid its number on spin magazine and number 19 on rollingstone....it was better then any album that came out bc it was actually creative and different and new....not some bullshit pop star of rock band rippin off the 90s and 80s like all the other albums tha came out
Posted by helloo on December 20, 2010 at 5:07 PM · Report this
number 8 on spin
Posted by helloo on December 20, 2010 at 5:12 PM · Report this
Dean Fawkes 9
General consensus is generally wrong.
Posted by Dean Fawkes http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author?oid=479789&section=Blogs on December 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM · Report this
Keekee 10
Totally off the subject, but I think someone needs to do an expose on the pay2play scene here in Seattle. That way I will know which establishments to patronize.
Posted by Keekee on December 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM · Report this
@KeeKee - P2P venues: Studio Seven - El Corazon - Club Motor - Chop Suey (some weekdays on occasion)
Posted by you are damn cute on December 21, 2010 at 5:51 AM · Report this
Add to @11 -Hells Kitchen in Tacoma.

Keekee -It seems as though you are being insincere about this (always hard to judge via written communication). Regardless, I find it disappointing when immediate self-interest is the only thing that dictates a person's actions.
Posted by Chris Jury http://www.thebismarck.net on December 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM · Report this