Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sublime Is Just Awful, Right?

Posted by on Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM

A few hours ago I received a text message from a friend. She's from Long Beach, CA and claimed that Sublime was the "90s Beatles". She followed that up with "I am drunk but I am telling the TRUTH." I've never really noticed this band, except for t-shirts worn by people that I'd steer clear of, but she went even further to say that Sublime needed to be explained to a person. I then watched a video for the song called Date Rape and stopped replying to her texts.

Ten minutes later, she wrote again: "I am a feminist and I hate men and stuff, but I will totally explain what Sublime's all about to you. I actually hated them growing up, but these Japanese foreign exchange students broke it down for me in college. They had no idea about the horrible lyrics, and that's when I started realizing that a pop song is a pop song."

The thing I'm worried about now is that she's going to explain Sublime to me and I'm going to like them. It's similar to my fear of becoming a Born Again Christian. Right now in my life these are things that don't seem appealing to me and I'd kind of like to keep it that way. On the other hand, I never thought I'd like skiing as a child, but I liked it after I tried it. See? I'm terrified.

Way to go, dad.
  • Way to go, dad.

Comments (120) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Sublime's cover of "rivers of babylon" by The Melodians is the most offensive thing i've ever fucking heard.

I was stoked when that dude died.
Posted by Tubuli on February 24, 2011 at 8:39 AM · Report this
alithea 2
few things are worse than when i hear '54-46 that's my number' playing somewhere and someone goes "hey is this a sublime cover?". i dont know, why dont you go look it up on GOFUCKYOURSELF.com?
Posted by alithea on February 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM · Report this
cosby 3
Sublime is the Joy Division for people that attempted (but failed) to get a GED.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on February 24, 2011 at 8:56 AM · Report this
alithea 4
@3 i dont know you, but this makes me want to hold your hand.
Posted by alithea on February 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM · Report this
"Sublime Is Just Awful" ... 'Sublime was the "90s Beatles"'

I don't really see a contradiction there.
Posted by tired and true on February 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM · Report this
:( sublime takes my headaches away. Granted they must only be listened to during the summer in order to appreciate them.
Posted by jburton1103 on February 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM · Report this
Your friend has no taste in music. She probably likes Matisyahu? too.
Posted by Trollytrolltroll on February 24, 2011 at 10:08 AM · Report this
julie russell 8
Sublime sucks and so did the Beatles
Posted by julie russell http:// on February 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM · Report this
Sublime is to ska as Limp Bizkit is to rap.
Posted by Jeff on February 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM · Report this
derek_erdman 10
According to #8's About Me page:

"What song or movie makes you cry?: Like a Woman (Bob Dylan) Fast Car (Tracy Chapman) and The movie Pieces of April"
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on February 24, 2011 at 10:56 AM · Report this
alithea 11
@9 RIGHT??????????????????????? god. DO NOT EVEN GET ME STARTED.
Posted by alithea on February 24, 2011 at 10:57 AM · Report this
It's another band that people will hate because their fans are jerky.
Posted by jennybento on February 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM · Report this
cosby 13
@12:
...and because their music is lazy, obvious stoner "philosophy".
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on February 24, 2011 at 11:21 AM · Report this
Hernandez 14
A lot of my distaste for Sublime stems from the endless stream of crappy ska/reggae/rock bands that popped up in the local music scene during the early-middle part of the last decade. What's worse than a band I never really liked? An explosion of mediocre bands blatantly ripping off a band I never really liked.
Posted by Hernandez http://hernandezlist.blogspot.com on February 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM · Report this
i can't say that I've listened to them in 10 years, but I'm going to go ahead and say that Sublime did not suck. Yes, they had some annoying hit songs and were overplayed by annoying frat boys. But that motherfucker could write a pop song, and the influence of punk, hip hop and ska all sounded legit and organic for a bunch of stoner white guys.
Posted by cb on February 24, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
derek_erdman 16
@15: See! This is what I need to hear about! Thanks!
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on February 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM · Report this
The answer is just: YES.
Posted by lacey golly on February 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM · Report this
Sublime is good, if you make an exception for their disgusting songs: date rape, and caress me down. Those songs are gross and not good.
Posted by matt! on February 24, 2011 at 12:02 PM · Report this
Will in Seattle 19
What @3 said.
Posted by Will in Seattle http://www.facebook.com/WillSeattle on February 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM · Report this
keshmeshi 20
I will always and forever associate Sublime with one of their shithead fans* at the Warped tour ages ago who decided that my friend was the fattest cow he had ever seen and went on and on about the indignity of having to sit within 20 feet of her**. (He also decided that I was fat by extension and wouldn't shut up about that shit either.)

*They are ALL shitheads, for the record.
**We were only suffering through Sublime's vomitous act so we would have a good seat for L7. It was barely worth it despite L7 being fucking awesome.
Posted by keshmeshi on February 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM · Report this
Here's some really good writing on the subject:

Posted by Actionsquid on February 24, 2011 at 12:05 PM · Report this
Enigma 22
I'm with cb @15. I even still listen to them with enjoyment when one of their songs pop up on the radio. Which 'Date Rape' did the other day on The End, and I sung along and bobbed my head.
Of course, most of my friends are of the opinion as most of the people here are, but that's not gonna stop my enjoyment.
Posted by Enigma http://washingtonunitedformarriage.org/ on February 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM · Report this
FWIW Derek, even Sublime said that they hate that "Date Rape" song.

But I gotta agree with those saying that the band totally pulled an Elvis Presley - they took something invented by black people (reggae) and completely whitewashed it. White audiences ate it up, especially the fratty types who are into stuff that's, yknow, "chill, brah." I can personally attest to the fact that they were hugely popular among white high school Seattlites (aka my classmates) right around the '00s.

However, @15 is right in that they got a worse name due to a few songs getting tremendously played out. I hated their groovy crap like "What I Got" but could rock the fuck out to stuff that they actually put their stamp on like "Seed." Try listening to that one.

I think it just boils down to it being an "LBC Thing." They were a product of their environment, some poor white trash punker types that drank/smoked/shot up way too much, listened to a lot of old reggae and happened to make music about it.
Posted by Bro Namath on February 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 24
want to hear something bizarro? I haven't thought about that date rape video in YEARS but my roommates and I got stoned last night and I found a folder chock full of old music videos on my old external hard drive from years ago. The video was indeed hilariously bad and perhaps the most laugh inducing out of the handful that we watched....
yikes....
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on February 24, 2011 at 12:14 PM · Report this
Jessica 25
I don't know who I dislike more: Sublime themselves, or every dipshit wannabe surfbro who wandered into my record store asking for Sublime over the years. Nothing says "awesome" like a lead singer who decides that heroin will make him cooler.
Posted by Jessica on February 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM · Report this
benjammin509 26
No way. Sublime and Bad Religion were the shit when I was a 14 yr. old, suburban skater kid who got high schoolers to buy me camel lights w/ my paper route money. And yes, I did have a paper route. I didn't listen to it with a critical ear then, and I do not now. Ah yea. the good ole days.
Posted by benjammin509 on February 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 27
@23 interesting mention of white washing but I'm just interested to know what, if any, music genre was actually created by white people? Classical & punk? Is that it? Are white musicians obligated to only create classic punk music for the remainder of time with no fusion of genres allowed?

I'm sorry, sublime and other shit music aside, I fucking hate this argument against bands. For every band through history it's such an easy cop-out to accuse them of "copying" their influences and absolutely no band in the history of time can cleanly avoid this common accusation of robbing another artist's grave. It only takes a well informed music nerd to reduce all of your favorite bands to pathetic copycat of any band before them. Let's just put this argument to rest.
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on February 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM · Report this
mr. herriman 28
i never gave them much consideration before - they just were. annoying but harmless enough, stoner surf-bro music. but i never actually saw them with my eyeballs before just now, and god, they are 1,000 times more annoying now that i have.
Posted by mr. herriman on February 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM · Report this
badfish is a love little pop tune
Posted by badfish1 on February 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM · Report this
Dougsf 30
My sole source of comfort here is that I can't tell you what Sublime even sounds like. I could guess, since I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture of them once. Did they do that one "Walking on the Sun" song? Even if they didn't, really, they probably did.

The Beatles of the 90's? No. Maybe the Statler Brothers, or the Royal Guardsmen, of the 90's.
Posted by Dougsf on February 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM · Report this
I like Sublime, but then I like a lot of awful music without regret or irony.
Posted by motomotoyama on February 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM · Report this
Not awful...Overplayed.
Posted by DanFan503 on February 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM · Report this
cosby 33
@27:
White people also invented (and are thus allowed to) play: Krautrock, musique concrète, polka, and shape note singing.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on February 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM · Report this
JF 34
Sweet drawing dude.
Posted by JF on February 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM · Report this
lemonde 35
I'm no Sublime fan, as their schtick has appealed more to dorm room jock types and frat rockers, but "Robbin' the Hood" is a great album. It has dancehall, hip-hop, punk, and a song that makes good use of a Doors sample. It definitely stands out above the rest of their albums and something I'd recommend to anyone, Sublime fan or not.
Posted by lemonde on February 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM · Report this
Roadflare 36
This may be because I'm young, but I grew up with Sublime and loved them throughout middle school and high school. You can't judge a band completely on hit songs like "Date Rape." That's just stupid because if you really listened to some of the other songs Bradley Nowell wrote, he was a fine writer. Though they did do a lot of covers, they were better than half the covers I hear. All this feminist crap by the way, Bradley Nowell was clearly being satirical. Why not hate on Nirvana for "Polly" or "Heart Shaped Box" while your at it! Though overplayed "Santeria" is a great song. Also, note a note: MOST bands sing about drugs and alcohol in their lyrics, pretty much all new and old rock bands have at least a couple songs about it. You know why? Most rock stars get into drugs. SHOCKING, I know. Also, the Beatles are awesome. To say they're not is to ignore their influence on music today.
Posted by Roadflare on February 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM · Report this
biffster 37
@9
What ska song did Sublime come out with? And I'd say 3rd wave ska is to ska what Limp Bizkit is to rap.

@11
get started
Posted by biffster on February 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM · Report this
cosby 38
Alternate history of America: Sublime is the first band to harness the power of polka and incorporate it's elements into musique concrète (popular at colleges at the time). Bradley Nowell later becomes a professor in oceanography and is the first man to communicate with dolphins. They bond over puka shells.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on February 24, 2011 at 1:00 PM · Report this
thom g. 39
Sublime is a vortex of suck. The distaste for them is exacerbated by the asshats that sing their praise (and their songs loudly at karaoke).
Posted by thom g. http://owneroperator.bandcamp.com on February 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM · Report this
Tom Sackett 40
Sublime didn't suck. How can you hate a ska band with lead singer who, for no reason, breaks into a Johnny Mathis impression in the middle of a song about handjobs? That said, I can only listen to about half of their songs.
Posted by Tom Sackett on February 24, 2011 at 1:03 PM · Report this
People are swimming in Palm Springs RIGHT NOW.
Posted by Yrsomountable on February 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM · Report this
@27 - I see your point and get where you're coming from, slippery slope argument aside. The "whitewashing" I'm decrying here is the kind that @2 described. Redoing or covering timeless, classic reggae songs but adding an extra bounce to it so kids in Birkenstocks can do that little twirly-dance to them, all the while thinking that these Sublime dudes are fucking geniuses for writing a song about 5446 being their number.

Yeah this happens all the time in music, but it doesn't make it okay. What really makes me cringe is thinking about how the original artists who made those reggae tracks probably got $50 up front for recording a song that the label fatcats made thousands (hey, it was a long time ago) on, and Sublime ended up making millions off the same shit by repackaging it for affluent white kids.

Feel me?
Posted by Lamar Brodom on February 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM · Report this
Andy_Squirrel 43
@42 yeah, i can agree with that
Posted by Andy_Squirrel on February 24, 2011 at 1:24 PM · Report this
Njoy 44
@23 Thanks for the reminder about Seed. It's been over 10 years since I have listened to it but it is still a great song.

Yeah I think that Sublime was over played and exhausted even the jocks who played it on heavy rotation, but you gotta hand it to them, they created some awesome pop songs. I think hating them is extreme and a little silly. Like some people HATE them to be cool now? Relax guys.
Posted by Njoy on February 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM · Report this
Someone from Long Beach saying that Sublime is the best band ever is like someone from Minneapolis saying the Replacements were the best band ever. OK - maybe that's not a fair comparison, but Sublime is/was part of the Long Beach mythology. As someone above said, they perfectly captured the essence of Long Beach party kids - self-absorbed, superficial, and aggressive.

Thank god I got out of Long Beach as soon as I graduated from high school.
Posted by jefe on February 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM · Report this
Sublime played along side Mike Watt and had his stamp of approval...

What now internet shit-talkers?...
Posted by Fact: No one will care about The Arcade Fire in 10 years. on February 24, 2011 at 1:57 PM · Report this
Posted by lemonde on February 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM · Report this
@46 - Mike Watt doesn't count - he's from San Pedro. See my post @ #45. That said, Mr. Watt is a fine, upstanding gentleman and I in no way think he is self-absorbed, superficial, and aggressive.
Posted by jefe on February 24, 2011 at 2:27 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 49
Comments: tl;dr - but did anybody mention that lead singer dude was like: "OH COOL MUSIC, UH OH PREGNANT GIRL, NEAT A BABY, I GUESS I'LL PARTY MYSELF TO DEATH"?
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on February 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM · Report this
McGee 50
The Replacements are pretty much the best ban ever and I've only ever passed-through Minneapolis.

I met the guys from Sublime once. I found them to be swine.
Posted by McGee on February 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM · Report this
@25: Cashiers like you are why I stopped buying any of my music in record stores. Not because I was ever stymied whilst trying to purchase a Sublime record, but because I knew that if I did try to purchase something similarly uncool at my local indie shop, some condescending prick behind the counter would give me the stinkeye. Wait, you mean I can get music online and circumvent the whole obnoxious transaction? I believe I will.

re. "Whitewashing": "Did you know that Elvis didn't actually write "Hound Dog!" Because I did! I know all about suffering, unknown artists who never got famous or rich or anything. Therefore the music you know about sucks. I win at music!"

Sure, you can name the artist that got ripped off by Canned Heat. But can you name the artist that THEY ripped off? Further study is required.

re. Sublime: Different people like different stuff. Even frat-boys.
Posted by I don't practice Candomblé on February 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM · Report this
The BTB 52
Haters can choke on it. Go listen to Sublime and 40 Oz to Freedom for the first time in ten years. Grab some friends, maybe sip on some stockpiled 4Lokos. Bask in the glory of April 29, 1992 and the credits track on 40 Oz. Ooh yeah, that's the good stuff. Sublime can jam, brah!
Posted by The BTB http://www.twitter.com/btbissell on February 24, 2011 at 3:54 PM · Report this
Y 53
I love this thread.

To @3, I'd say that Sublime is the Dave Matthews Band for people who failed to get a GED.
Posted by Y http://facebook.com/ymarksthespot on February 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM · Report this
Tingleyfeeln 54
Sublime was anything but awful. They wrote good songs. They all played their instruments pretty good. Brad sang soulfully. Thier influences were actually quite diverse: reggae, ska, punk, Beastie Boys, and they even covered a Grateful Dead song, with funny new lyrics added making fun of the hippie subculture.
But, being from LBC instead of some great urban/collegiate creative mecca, they had a different set of influences and a different approach to life. A different aesthetic, than what we urbanites generally prefer. Which reflected in their audience. Speaking of their audience, does anyone else think of the stereotypical Sublime fan as a kinder gentler juggalo?
Also, my big pet peeve with Sublime was that it sounded like Brad used an effects processor. Now that is some lame ass suburban shit, and even then kind of cool, because usually the dudes who use those things are way into the guitar hero shit, not reggae/ska/skate punk. Note to aspiring guitarists: Just pick 4 or 5 effects peddals and call it good, no generic processors!
Posted by Tingleyfeeln on February 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Posted by Estey on February 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM · Report this
Sublime is winning on this thread!
Posted by 420LBC on February 24, 2011 at 4:30 PM · Report this
emor 57
The only band worse than Sublime is the Offspring.
Posted by emor on February 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM · Report this
cosby 58
@56:
Huh? Awful is still ahead by a 22 point margin. I am highly skeptical of the sudden rush of votes for "no" this afternoon, although 2pm is the 8am for Sublime fans.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on February 24, 2011 at 4:51 PM · Report this
y'all are totally missing the point.

listen to their record "40 Oz. to Freedom" from 1992.

their sound was COMPLETELY original - influences from old school hip-hop (KRS) to Marley to the Dead, and featured some of the craziest/weirdest/lo-fi/dancehall production you'll ever hear... dudes seriously had an ear for avante-garde hip-hop.

Bradley was insanely talented, which came through not only in his ability to curate these sounds from the past into something fresh, but in his knack for songwriting and accomplished guitar playing.

the title track from 40 Oz. to Freedom is great example of how genius Bradley was. the vocal melody and bass line are seemingly in totally different keys...... but it gives this incredible abstract groove to the song, something i've never heard in any other music

I listen to all this obscure electronica shit and retro-hipster bands that are all the rage these days too, so it's not like i'm stuck in 1996.

i've always said it: Sublime were way more advanced than anybody gave them credit for, and if drugs hadn't fucked it up, they would've advanced far beyond whatever 3rd wave ska/pop sound it was that gave them a bad rep among music critics (and a favorable rep among frat boys).

and just so we're clear, this isn't the only example of a heroin-addict, rock-star father fucking everything up (y'all are from Seattle, right?)

believe it, Bradley was a genius.
Posted by biolabode on February 24, 2011 at 5:18 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 60
Hey, I need help in remembering a totally awful song from this same era-ish. It's rap/rock with the verse rapped and the chorus sung. The video just featured a blond haired guy's head. I want to say that it's called "Down". If you were here I'd hum it to you.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on February 24, 2011 at 5:22 PM · Report this
Estey 61
"I don't know. Everything. Living. Smoking." --Sartre
Posted by Estey on February 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 62
Oh, I just remembered: "Down" by 311. Wow, that's unbelievable.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on February 24, 2011 at 5:30 PM · Report this
Posted by Estey on February 24, 2011 at 5:37 PM · Report this
dangit. #33 was the best thing I've read all day.
varese's early polka/shapenote works? clearly a man ahead of his time
Posted by Erin J. on February 24, 2011 at 5:44 PM · Report this
I freaking love sublime, but I can see how some people wouldn't get into it. Its just a simpler kind of enjoyment, and at risk of sounding like a cliched douchebag, its just mellow stuff. It's obviously not for everyone, but what is? Just saw a Sublime tribute band last night, and its that sense of camaraderie that I love so much. There is really no better feeling than singing the songs with a huge group of people who all know every word. And to whoever said you can only listen to Sublime in the summer, the beautiful thing about it is that its always summer time when you hear Sublime. And Date Rape is a really god awful example, for the record.
Posted by Nick The Dude on February 24, 2011 at 6:29 PM · Report this
They are pretty dang awesome... Shouldn't this thread be about how shitty radiohead is??
Posted by Huggulus on February 24, 2011 at 6:33 PM · Report this
blip 67
I have little to no opinion of them. I could never tell them apart from 311. I'm voted yes anyway.
Posted by blip on February 24, 2011 at 6:34 PM · Report this
Parsnip 68
zzzzzzzz
Posted by Parsnip http://www.funnyanimalbooks.com on February 24, 2011 at 6:47 PM · Report this
And another thing, what happened to judging a bands music by the actual music as opposed to hating a band because of their fans? Like I said, I was at a Badfish (Sublime tribute) concert last night, and trust me, I know a whole lot of total A-Hole fans exist. But does that immediately discredit the musicians? I know people who love Tool, but couldn't tell you a damn thing about song meanings or actual musicianship. People who love Floyd, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, The Mars Volta, (I can literally go on for days) who don't know what any song means, don't know what the band may stand for, don't know shit about shit. Is that any rational reason to dislike the band? Because of its fans? There's no doubt Sublime is great music to sit around and get stoned to and just mindlessly rock out, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the lyrics or music. All three members of Sublime were very talented and gifted. The idiocy of their fans should hold no influence over your opinion of the music.
Posted by Nick The Dude on February 24, 2011 at 6:48 PM · Report this
Travis Ritter 70
What I want to know is where did they get such good weed in Long Beach? Did they know Snoop?
Posted by Travis Ritter http://nuglifer.wordpress.com on February 24, 2011 at 9:50 PM · Report this
toxicmommy 71
@62 I'm not sure what kind of list you're making Derek but put butterfly by crazy town on it. Come my lady come come milady
Posted by toxicmommy http://www.facebook.com/toxicmommy on February 24, 2011 at 10:35 PM · Report this
gebbeth 72
as a kid sublime was the first band i ever really loved. Their songs were fun and the wide variety of sampling opened up a lot of music for me, causing me to become more educated and more passionate about music. I think thats a pretty awesome thing for a band to do.

I just read all the comments, and the only one that really broke my heart was #53. Thats just harsh.
Posted by gebbeth on February 24, 2011 at 10:51 PM · Report this
Carlsss 73
I'm not a fan, but I voted NO out of respect for the legit awfulness of bands that are truly just awful.
Posted by Carlsss on February 25, 2011 at 3:23 AM · Report this
GlamB0t 74
Anyone who has such strong opinions on not liking the band Sublime has probably never spent a summer in Southern California.

Also to say the lead singer of a band is "stupid" or "talentless" for overdosing seems quite silly. It's always a silly thing to say, but especially given this cities musical history.

Posted by GlamB0t on February 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM · Report this
Wow, I forgot I love Sublime. LOVE! Summer.
Posted by nightswim on February 25, 2011 at 11:34 AM · Report this
ItsAllOverNow 76
@15, 59 Dead on

@ 74 You're not being harsh enough, anyone who has such strong opinions on not liking the band Sublime is probably not a very fun person to be around period.

40oz was a pretty amazingly original album to come out in 1992. For reference Paul's Boutique and Ice, Ice baby came out the same year. I'd be willing to bet most serious Sublime haters were listening to Ice, Ice Baby that year.

They were kids making music for other kids. They get a bad rap now because they get held to too high a standard. They weren't the best band ever but they certainly weren't awful.
Posted by ItsAllOverNow http://nowaybro.blogspot.com/ on February 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM · Report this
GlamB0t 77
@74 ha ha I'm trying to be a nice but fully concur with your comment.

If there's sun on your shoulders and Sublime comes on, your instinct should be to crank it up, and order another beer. If that is not your immediate reaction, check your pulse because you're probably dead (or dead on the inside).
Posted by GlamB0t on February 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM · Report this
GlamB0t 78
OOPS! @76!!
Posted by GlamB0t on February 26, 2011 at 11:02 AM · Report this
@76 Uhhh hate to nitpick but Paul's Boutique came out in 1989; Ice, Ice Baby in 1990. Also, Beastie Boys are on a whole other trajectory, artistically and connotatively than Sublime and don't even belong in this discussion.

To put this all into perspective - Beastie Boys were the Beatles of 1988-1995; Rob Van Winkle was the Jim Morrison of 1990-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie; Sublime's Brad Nowell was the Eric Clapton of 1992-1997 (because they both exploit and appropriate "black" music like reggae, blues, etc and their music sucks). "Egg Man" was the Beastie's "Walrus"; "Ice, Ice Baby" rap-metal reinterpretation was Van Winkle's "Light My Fire"; "Santeria" was Sublime's "Tears in Heaven."
Posted by coolsundays on February 27, 2011 at 1:00 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 80
"To put this all into perspective - Beastie Boys were the Beatles of 1988-1995; Rob Van Winkle was the Jim Morrison of 1990-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie; Sublime's Brad Nowell was the Eric Clapton of 1992-1997 (because they both exploit and appropriate "black" music like reggae, blues, etc and their music sucks). "Egg Man" was the Beastie's "Walrus"; "Ice, Ice Baby" rap-metal reinterpretation was Van Winkle's "Light My Fire"; "Santeria" was Sublime's 'Tears in Heaven.'"

Pretty much exactly.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on February 27, 2011 at 5:58 PM · Report this
@42

Bro Toots gets paid for every record Sublime sells with 5446 on it so shut your mouth, you don't know what you're talking about. Research "mechanical royalties".

They have made far more money because of Sublime, either directly from record sales, or from the natural promotion and increased awareness of an otherwise pretty much forgotten old reggae band.

As far as them playing reggae in general?? OMG they have influences, everybody shit a brick. After all we're all still playing the same 12 notes that fucking Bach was using 400 years ago. Get over it.
Posted by jmilz on February 22, 2012 at 3:01 PM · Report this
Sublime was the btk of music, brad was the dennis rader of music, some talent, the band ruined long beach, then came the f-ing hipsters to finish it off
Posted by 66cuda on October 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM · Report this
This blog's author and the commentors have terrible taste in music apparently. I cant see anything wrong with Sublime. their songs can be repetitive, but brad's lyrics are hilarious and a lot of people find meaning to them. and their songs are too groovy. check vids from the 90s people going wild in the crowds, stage diving and moshing left and right, you dont see that in most ska concerts.
Posted by alastairmac on February 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM · Report this

yeah.. and saying a band sucks because you dont like the sort of fanbase they appeal, sounds like you really dont clue into the fact that anyone can like a band without a preconceived notion of being a "good" or "bad" fan.
Posted by alastairmac on February 6, 2013 at 10:02 PM · Report this
All of you have absolutely no taste in music, don't be so narrow minded. Respect music for what it is and how others interpret it.
Posted by Brady06 on February 9, 2013 at 12:23 PM · Report this
Fucking Christ sublime only released two albums before Bradley died, and they gained minimal attention if any at all during their actual existence. It wasn't until after Nowell's death that they started to gain notoriety and the remaining members were able to release the remainder of the material they recorded. Just because maybe four or five of their songs have become a staple of 90's playlists often featured at bars or parties doesn't mean that their discography doesn't deserve an attentive listen. In my opinion there is something in there for any fan of reggae, punk/ska, or dancehall music. ALSO the acoustic release of Bradley playing for the most part alone features some of the most candid moments and examples of raw talent in playing/ song writing that I have ever heard on any acoustic recording. This is a band whose influence has echoed for the last twenty years. Of course taste is subjective and you are each entitled to your own, but Jesus H. Fuck, don't write off the band that revived a genre, leaving a plethora of progenies in it's wake (some of whom are arguably just as important). Pricks.
Posted by ComeOnNow on February 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM · Report this
Very wrong. Sublime is one of the greatest bands of all time. They are easily on par with the Beatles, it's just that their career was cut short with the death of Brad Newell, and thus did not produce as many hit records. To realize the true talent of Sublime, you must look beyond the mainstream tracks forced down your throats by radio, and consider their more underground recordings such as "40 oz to Freedom," or "Robbin tha' Hood." Like the Beatles, their style was completely unique, modern, and gained wide popularity during it's time, spawning many other bands of the same genre (LBDAS, Slightly Stoopid, 311, Limp Bizkit, etc...). And as for the controversial content of their lyrics, any music fan knows that drugs and alcohol have been a central theme of countless songs (as far back as the 1910s). If you don't at least respect Sublime you either know nothing about music, or you are a complete fool. I guess another option would be that you are Amish and just don't have a radio. In that case, don't write about s$&@ you don't know, douchebag. Sublime is better than the Beatles, '69, '99, 2013 and forever.
Posted by Robbin' tha Hood on March 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM · Report this
I am a fan of music. If I listen to something a few times, I learn to appreciate it. Yet, this rule doesn't apply to EVERYTHING. I have heard a few songs that I never want or care to listen to again. Some of those songs have a huge fan base, too. Which brings me to believe they can't be "awful", and that it is only my opinion. I know I'm not alone when I say I adore Sublime. If I can't think of anything else to listen to, I can always look up some Sublime and be more than satisfied. And if I ever meet a person that doesn't like them, I won't point and scream about there horrible lack of music appreciation. I just can't sum a song or artist up by my opinion alone, especially when the masses choose to listen.

"Stubborn and ardent clinging to one's opinion is the best proof of stupidity."
--Michel de Montaigne
Posted by Zeyta on May 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM · Report this
RIP Bradley Nowell (February 22, 1968 – May 25, 1996) ..."nowadays the songs on the radio all drive me crazy"
Posted by javier on May 25, 2013 at 5:47 PM · Report this
i'm pro-science and i vote 90
Sublime was interesting to me in college, when I was much more into punk rock, and they were pretty good with bridging many genres, I thought (in the mid-90's is when I discovered them). Or at least, to me seemed to sound great for people if they were also into punk, reggae, hip-hop, rap, plain ol' rock.. attractive for rebellious kids. who like to get fucked up/high. If you're older, like in your 30s, you're probably less likely to like them.

You're actually friends with someone who says, "I am a feminist and I hate men and stuff"? Wow. Well then, your friend might be braindead, if they broadbrush 50% of humans as hate-able, and Sublime is actually pretty popular with a lot of braindead people somehow. And the music is not THAT insightful even though fans seem to think it really is..

Not to say all fans of Sublime are braindead though. Kind of like how, Rage Against the Machine has attracted violent jock asshole kids even though not all of their fans are violent asshole jocks and neither is the band
Posted by i'm pro-science and i vote http://www.prettyopenended.com on May 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM · Report this
#1 is most likely full of shit. Dude was already dead when their shit got big.

They're harmless.
Posted by What DO you like? on May 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM · Report this
Your fucking stupid people that probably listen to drake and creed maybe even a little nickleack....faggots.
Posted by TheRealMike89 on June 1, 2013 at 7:32 PM · Report this
undead ayn rand 93
@92: Angry crusty early twenties stoner spotted.
Posted by undead ayn rand on June 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM · Report this
Sublime was a great band!
These guys were fucking original as it gets, I will agree sublime's lyrics weren't the best out there. But the way these guys synced together when performing was something worth watching.
Great reggae sound, and Bradley Nowell's talent was amazing.
Most of the people hating on this thread are fucking ignorants who can't look past the way Bradley died.
Posted by Gerry21 on September 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM · Report this
I'm willing to bet everyone hating is doing this based on some shitty experience they have has with a Sublime fan. And no, not all of Sublime's fans are stupid drunks. I made a 34 on my ACT and graduated from Stanford University, on top of that I have not picked up an alcoholic drink since high school. I'm living breathing proof that one isn't true.

Bradley was one of the coolest, most talented, and most unique guys out there. His songs have actual meaning to them, and the band its self just sounds amazing.
Not to mention Rome. That guy can sing.
Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but saying you hate something you haven't even giving any time of day is just absurd.
Don't base your opinions on stereotypes.
Posted by allyanderson on September 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM · Report this
Who doesn't like sublime?! You guys are all a bunch of socially outcasted hipsters with a sub standard taste in music. I grew up in Seattle and have had to put up with all of you pretentious, self righteous, complainers too long. Stop hating on good music while trying to convince me that Helio sequence is somehow more note worthy! Fuck off!
Posted by Tj Taylor on November 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM · Report this
Actually, a good majority of Sublimes songs were covers based off of popular reggae bands. Bob Marley, The Toyes, Aswad and many many more. To me Bradley was in fact the boss dj. Like many producers in the hip hop world, Bradley and his band Sublime sampled many artists and songs to come up with an incredibly unique rendition of great reggae tracks that added a hip hip and funk element to them. While many of the songs were in fact covers, Sublime made them unique with a style that was completely of their own. Bradley through his music paid homage to his favorite artist while being one within himself! RIP Bradley!!!!

This guy breaks down Sublime great!!!

Posted by Sublime covered reggae tracks on November 26, 2013 at 10:17 PM · Report this
You all suck and have no sense of what real music is all about, it doesn't have to be completely mono-toned and keep to the same sound during the song to be good. Sublime did everything differently than most bands and had a lot of talent, they were what true art stood for. Fuck you peoples warped opinion, the point of art is expressing yourself. Go listen to some more Phish you mindless fuckholes, leave the Sublime to us.
Posted by JohnnyButt710 on December 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM · Report this
Sublime is awesome! Why all the hate? I never met anyone who listened to their music and didn't like them..
Posted by succatash on December 1, 2013 at 8:59 PM · Report this
Your a regular fucker sublime is the shit man. it is the materilization of teenage rebellion!
Posted by bossawesome on January 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM · Report this
Sublime is one of the greatest of all time how many othere people do u no that can produce that style of music that sublime did? He put many diff styles shit from punk, ska, reggea, dance hall,blues, pop,spanish influence, socal sound mind u they came up in the 80's and 90's.they talked about real problems not about popping bottles and diamonds.it takes a real mudic fan to appreciate the sound they made there not a zombie one minded bands like u see now most bands are all about money and fame.and to compare them to the beatles is fucking stoopid 2 totally diff types of music lol the only thing they have in commen is the word pop rock lmao sublime can not be compared to any other band.I bet u fags listen to justin beiber or 2 chainz or some lame ass shit like that.and just saying some of his covers where ftom gratefuldead and jerry garcia was the shit just saying.
Posted by suicidekings269 on January 16, 2014 at 7:59 AM · Report this
Bradley Nowell was a visionary when it came to a lot of things within music. Eric Wilson had very unique chops and the drummer wasn't anything to be sneezed at. He had an amazing voice and his death was tragic and uhh yea... pretty selfish. He left a son and a wife behind and was just about to graduate with a business degree when he died. Heroin is an epidemic in this country. It might take your child's life. His music is here to remind us of how heroin can and will take everything away from you. Some junkies have to die so that others can recover and live. He was one of the most gifted minds of the 90's and between him and Kobain probably one of the best songwriters. Hands down. The way brad mixed hip hop and punk rock was unlike a lot of things seen to this day. I would even go to say that he was before his time. The production he did all by himself out of his basement for Robbing in the Hood is incredible. The guy had an awesome ear too and yea he covered a lot of songs but any song he covered... he made his own. Scarlet Bagonias, We're only gonna die from our own arrogance, steppin razor.... Please. Not many artists can do that with style and grace. Sure some songs were about partying... but some songs were absolute poetry. Santeria? Come on, yea it was a commercial success.... for a reason. It had an epic well written bass line. The lyrics were about a pain and heartbreak (not partying) the melodies are incredible and the songs structure and solo are just on.fucking.point. Hate all you want... but life is kind of lame without a party. There can't be an after party if there was no party in the first place. Oh yea and one more thing for the haters.... DAMN could that mother fucker play guitar.
Posted by thewanderingaccident on January 21, 2014 at 7:58 PM · Report this
Every one is entitled to their own musical opinion, but what i can't figure out for the life of me is why all the hate towards sublime? I can understand how hearing "What I got" or "Santeria" can drive even us fans crazy because of how often they are over played, but I find a lot of the material you discover on 40 oz to freedom, Robbin the Hood, and their self titled album is almost spiritual (to me anyway.) Songs like "Jailhouse", "Pawn Shop", and "Greatest Hits" are beautifully melancholy and remind us of the hardships of incarceration, failed relationships, and hard drug usage. Maybe it's a west coast thing, but I love their use of spanish, references to violence, hip hop/thrash samples, and the overall vibe they project. even though I have never met Bradley, I feel I can deeply relate to this man through his struggles and sense of humor that he projects through his lyrics. I found this thread while googling "Sublime changed my Life" and knew I had to chime in, regardless of the fact that my opinion will change nothing and probably just offend more haters. love them or hate them, seems like their is no in-between with sublime.
Posted by Thomas Edison on January 31, 2014 at 6:41 PM · Report this
This article and half of the commenters here are terrible. Somebody here just said that they don't like Sublime because ONE fan at the warped tour was being a jackass? Osama Bin Laden watched TV, does that make me a terrorist? Fucking idiot.
Posted by gimlibutts on February 13, 2014 at 2:47 AM · Report this
farrellsx6 105
Wow, it's a f*cking band. Entertainment. Simple as that. If you don't like them don't listen. If you've never heard them try it, you may like it. Life's full of guilty pleasures. Just keep in mind it's only music.

If this sh*t changes your life fabulous...but you were probably ripe for a Jonestown conversion anyway. So put your headphones on drink the Kool-aid and take a nap (Don't worry if you're not savvy Google's got your back).

Otherwise keep it in perspective. The answer is not always Hüsker Dü, but sometimes it is.
Posted by farrellsx6 on February 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM · Report this
An argument that says they can't tell the difference between Sublime and 311? Thats weak. I'm sure half the haters on here weren't old enough to remember the 90s. Considering much of their hits were wrote in the late 80s and very early 90s says a lot. Well ahead of their time. It seems people who grew up around the ocean understand and appreciate Sublime more. The pale, pasty goth kids not so much. Sublime put on a killer live show also. Saw them on the warped tour and I never heard of them. Some other guy said he waited for Sublime to get off the stage so he could see L7 kick ass? That's funny and the show I saw had L7 playing on the side stage before Sublime. I believe it was quicksand or no use for a name that headlined. I'm sure he waited til 8am for Jimmy to play Woodstock also. Anyway, hate on!
Posted by Henry Trollins on February 22, 2014 at 7:40 PM · Report this
Sublime is awful. They are the used car salesmen of music, repackaging older songs, riffs and genres to people too stupid to know any better.

People like them because they remember the times when they drank beer and got high with their friends in university, and do not have an ear for good music, or a mind sharp enough to determine what acceptable lyrics sound like.
Posted by Hippo on March 21, 2014 at 2:53 PM · Report this
This is so dumb. I agree with @thewanderingaccident. Your bullshit excuse for his music being 'shitty' is because it's stoner music ? Wow, smh. Do you listen to fucking JUSTIN BIEBER ? You motherfuckers suck. Why don't you get a life, listen to the music and see the meaning, the beauty put behind it. It is so sad Bradley died of Heroin overdose, esp. with all these shit singers and musicians and 'guitarists' these days. Fuck all of you. The fact that you say you are scared you might end up liking it just shows your ignorance. In one single thread forum. Really, making fun of Lou-Dog ? What the hell man , he fucking loved his dog why can he NOT sing about him ? I respect the love he had for Lou-Dog. Get a soul ignorant fuckface. Also, by the way he did NOT TATTOO BEERS ON HIS NECK. It was his FUCKING SON'S NAME. SO FUCK YOU AND QUIT SHIT TALKING IGNORANT FUCKFACE.
Posted by __carriedaway__ on April 2, 2014 at 4:26 PM · Report this
Hippo that is untrue. 1 go fuck yourself. 2. You don't have to be getting high and shit to listen to sublime, even if that is the case for me. It isn't a must. It's an option. People are going to listen to music while they are high , just because of the fact music is 100x better when you listen to it when you're high.
So, there music is perfect, it's 100x better than perfect, then.
R.I.P Bradley, and fuck these haters lmao you guys make me laugh at the stupidity in your posts. Smh, just because almost ALL his songs are about drugs, pot or heroin dosen't mean shit. Fuck yourself.
Posted by __carriedaway__ on April 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM · Report this
I'm only 13 years old but sublime is badass not awful. Some people have no taste in music..
Posted by Just a girl that is amazing on April 10, 2014 at 8:31 PM · Report this
Sublime is badass. Been listening to them for 15 years. If you don't like their lyrics then don't listen to the songs, but why waste your time bashing on a band that is obviously successful whether you like them or not. Yeah a lot of their lyrics are about drugs and sex etc., but so what still way better than the stuff out there today, and Bradley Nowell was a righteous guy, just because he had a drug problem doesn't make him a bad person, he struggled to get clean for years but sadly relapsed and overdosed while doing a mini tour weeks before the release of the album that made them world famous and not long after the birth of his son. Not all sublime fans are assholes either, I'm a sublime fan and I'm in medical school dedicating my life to helping people... Anyways not liking the music is one thing but there's no need for the disrespect, especially on a personal level.
Posted by RichieD746 on April 17, 2014 at 11:43 PM · Report this
rationalmachines 112
Sublime ugh, I picture a skizo kid showing up in a pair of baggy dickies, one bottom flannel, with checkered doc martins and a mohawk screaming anarchy in the uk homie. All over the place. No offense to children who suffer from schizophrenia or the Dickies Co.
Posted by rationalmachines on April 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM · Report this
Love Sublime. That my opinion and you can't do shit about it. :)
Posted by Sublime sublime on May 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM · Report this
Lol, degrading the band over what their fans wear says more about the commenter(s) issuing the criticism rather than the band, you fucking faux-elitist numpties. I bet half of you shit talking folks never even tried your hand at music, let alone true art music.
Posted by Dorsal Dick on May 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM · Report this
First of all , im an enourmous sublime fan I love their music its a shame bradley passed R.I.P .but you didnt look up the right songs . Did you look up krs one or boss dj or badfish . Sublime in my opinion was the best thing that ever happend to me . I love sublime and always will . Sublime is noy oawful . And theyre fucking amazing .
Posted by jessica420:) on June 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM · Report this
Hey hipsters that like to hate on Sublime as if they were Creed: you can pretend it's cool to hate on Sublime with your mostly white hipster friends, but most other people just plain don't fucking care. They either like Sublime or they don't. Trying to prove a point that Sublime was the worst or the epitome of a bad band is ignorant. They were a stoner band? No shit. They were white and they did black music? Who white in the united states is NOT doing black music? Even country music is influenced by the blues now. No shit. Sublime were frat boys? No shit. Bradley sadly overdosed on heroin? Kurt Cobain also did heroin. Who gives a fuck? Sublime was one of the best bands in the 90s. They mixed ska, reggae, punk and hip hop in a way that will never be copied. Real ska, reggae, punk and hip hop fans know what I'm talking about. If you don't you're not a real fan. By the way, I like Joy Division and Beastie Boys and Toots and Grateful Dead and Descendants and Bob Marley and The Beatles. Who the fuck doesn't like some song by The Beatles? Get the fuck outta here. What is this website? Where am I? hipster.com? Or whitehipster.com?
Posted by johnnysegundo on July 10, 2014 at 1:19 AM · Report this
just to add, i wasted 5 mins of my time reading all your bullshit comments haha. who gives a shit if you like or don't like them, they exist and that is that. Move on brahahaha
Posted by bekoolworld.itisallgood on July 30, 2014 at 3:08 AM · Report this
most people ripping on sublime during this aren't musicians so their opinions really don't count. I love to hear people explain shit when they don't really know music all that well. Just what they hear on the "radio"
Posted by jetdavdub on August 11, 2014 at 8:41 AM · Report this
I say the best reply here is the one recommending their robbin the hood album. 40oz and the selftitled album have their moments robbin after eschewing the joke filler tracks theres a solid dozen cuts and thats a solid album. Listen to those twelve bitchin tunes on robbin the hood and ignore the naysaying fags. Joshthekookatgmail
Posted by joshthekook on September 14, 2014 at 2:58 AM · Report this
The reason you picked the song date rape to listen to first clearly shows you were trying to dislike them because it's obvious you have a fear of change. You didn't want to like it so why bash when you obviously came into it bashing it before you heard them. They are also not pop, yes call them a ripoff of other ska groups at the time but you came in criticize before you even listened to them.
Posted by Cookaka on September 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM · Report this