Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, August 4, 2011

RE: Rolling Stone Readers Have Lost Their Minds

Posted by on Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 10:19 AM

As Grant stated uh...Green Day has topped Rolling Stone readers' "Who is the best punk rock band of all time?" poll. OBVIOUSLY, Green Day as top punks is TOTAL BULLSHIT...soooooo if not Green Day then WHO!?

Natch, this is an official binding poll, any other suggestions in the comments please as I'll run out of room to POLL y'all before I run out of bands, but try to keep it all before 1980...kinda trying to keep it pre-hardcore. If you're needing any reference help try Collector Scum AND anything off the Back From the Grave/Garage Punk Unknowns tracklists apply as well!!!

Comments (47) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Fnarf 1
The REAL real answer is "Television Personalities".

But bless you for putting Screamers, Avengers and Dils on here.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on August 4, 2011 at 10:25 AM · Report this
COMTE 2
Should be including The Plasmatics, The Stranglers, The Misfits, Subhumans, Sham 69, Richard Hell & The Voidoids, & Wire on this list.
Posted by COMTE on August 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM · Report this
cosby 3
This "best" designation really hinges on how you quantify "best". If best means staying power and current listenership, then Green Day probably is the best at this point in time. If you are talking about quality, then they shouldn't be on the list. If you are talking about influence, I don't know that anyone would rate them at all.
Posted by cosby http://www.myspace.com/cosbyshownights on August 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM · Report this
Summerisle 4
Rolling Stone magazine doesn't like punk rock.
Television Personalities +1
Posted by Summerisle http://www.facebook.com/biggieJ?ref=name on August 4, 2011 at 10:32 AM · Report this
nipper 5
Alas, my space was limited...I agree with ALL the suggestions...Canook Subhumans as well!! !!Except the Misfits!! Never liked 'em...heh heh...truth!
Posted by nipper on August 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM · Report this
What an impossible question. Whatever the answer is, It's definitely not Green Day.
Posted by Chester Copperpot on August 4, 2011 at 10:38 AM · Report this
Mentally filters out everybody answering Clash, Ramones or Sex Pistols. If you think they're the best punk has to offer, you just aren't paying attention.
Posted by tired and true on August 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM · Report this
The early results are suggesting people are answering the question "Which of these bands have you heard of?" It's a tough poll, though, because a famous punk band was kinda the opposite of the point.
Posted by Doug in SC on August 4, 2011 at 10:41 AM · Report this
r.chops 9
let's talk about what is and what isn't punk.

and don't forget the fall or swell maps.
Posted by r.chops on August 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM · Report this
JF 10
write in vote for Blink 182
Posted by JF on August 4, 2011 at 10:52 AM · Report this
Simple Plan got robbed.
Posted by Sahoyah on August 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM · Report this
Voted Stooges (dude, "We Will Fall"), but really think it's Wire.
Posted by Dave Segal on August 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM · Report this
geoff teardrop 13
DISCHARGE
Posted by geoff teardrop http://twitter.com/wipess on August 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM · Report this
Original Monique 14
What about Stiff Little Fingers?!
Posted by Original Monique http://www.facebook.com/notifications.php#/group.php?gid=124801948427 on August 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM · Report this
lindsey 15
@14 I was just about to ask the same thing!
Posted by lindsey on August 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM · Report this
COMTE 16
@7:

The very notion of equating the word "best" (used as a qualitative denominator) and "punk rock" (a genre that basically eschewed the musical formalism of traditional rock-and-roll), is on its face pretty oxymoronic in the first place. And all three of those bands, regardless of what you may think of the style or quality of their music, were certainly influential.

As someone who was actually spinning vinyl on-air in the late '70's through early '80's, I can say without hesitation, that at the time all of them were considered "punk", despite whatever categorical hair-splitting may have been imposed after-the-fact. But, that's why I also made some suggestions as to other equally appropriate bands, recognizing that the obvious choices (which admittedly these are), aren't necessarily the most representative ones.

That being said, anyone who wants to challenge the validity of The Ramones as NOT being a legitimate candidate for "best punk band" can just wank off...
Posted by COMTE on August 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM · Report this
very bad homo 17
X!
Posted by very bad homo on August 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM · Report this
julie russell 18
@14...exactly!!!!
Posted by julie russell http:// on August 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM · Report this
yos-wa 19
Dead heat for me inbetween Dead Boys, Dead Kennedys, and Crass. But there are a lot of good choices on here as well as a lot of good choices that were left off.
Posted by yos-wa on August 4, 2011 at 11:44 AM · Report this
No Mekons no credibility.
Posted by Joestork on August 4, 2011 at 11:45 AM · Report this
Tingleyfeeln 21
@16, great reply to #7.
The need to exclude the most influential and successful of artists in a genre smacks of elitism. It's music, something that brings meaning and light to our lives. Sometimes the hipster "oh, I'm into something even more obscure than what you're talking about" mentality is an even bigger cliche than what Green Day gives us.

I especialy liked your reply since I voted for The Clash, one of the bands on #7's "well if you voted for them then I'm not listening" list. Lets see, they were a great band, wrote great songs, and experimented with many different genre's, including hip-hop, way back before most people even knew what that was.
To me punk was as much about reminding people of what was right about rock and roll in the first place, which was melding influences and delivering your sound with passion. Other than the fashion and attitude, most of those bands weren't doing anything all that new. But many of them were doing old or contemporary things in a new way. And that is more punk rock than any confining boxes that most bands who call themselves punk today can even fathom.

Raise a toast to Saint Joe Strummer!
Posted by Tingleyfeeln on August 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM · Report this
seandr 22
No Husker Du? Or Circle Jerks?

This poll is lamer than Rolling Stone's.
Posted by seandr on August 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM · Report this
biffster 23
Operation Ivy
Posted by biffster on August 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM · Report this
There is no "best" of good, there is only what speaks to a person at the right moment. Therefore, Rolling Stone is stupid for even asking the question.
Posted by spiderplanet on August 4, 2011 at 12:11 PM · Report this
gttim 25
Posting this over at the Green Day websites, and microwaving some popcorn!
Posted by gttim on August 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM · Report this
T 26
Blink 182
Posted by T on August 4, 2011 at 12:17 PM · Report this
hillpagan 27
I really think the Bad Brains should be on the list. Definitely best LIVE punk show. Best albums? Jeeze it's hard. T.S.O.L. is also glaringly missing.
Posted by hillpagan on August 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM · Report this
laterite 28
Who are all these fools voting for The Clash? The Clash were as punk as Green Day. The correct answer is, in fact, Death.
Posted by laterite on August 4, 2011 at 1:03 PM · Report this
nipper 29
Relax, peeps, as I stated - "any other suggestions in the comments please as I'll run out of room to POLL y'all before I run out of bands" - I said I WOULD run out of room and I did, if I'd hd more internet space and I'd keep adding bands. That is why I ask for more bands here in the COMMENTS, I did NOT omit any worthy group on grounds of unworthiness, I ran out of space. @ 20 and 22 THANKS FOR BEING BHOLES about it...heh heh

Im a little amazed no one has chimed with any '60s suggestions.
Posted by nipper on August 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM · Report this
I voted Black Flag after considering the Stooges... But my faves are probably Poison Idea and Minor Threat, and I love me some FEAR and 7 Seconds too.
Posted by merritt on August 4, 2011 at 1:15 PM · Report this
julie russell 31
Mmhmmm...I'll second 7 Seconds and FEAR
Posted by julie russell http:// on August 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM · Report this
erin 32
ok, @7, there are a lot of bands PUNKER than the clash, but fighting about what's punker is possibly the tool-i-est thing.
That said, I think it's the punkest thing ever that i learned about the clash from my mormon dad when i was a little - they had such a broad appeal, they managed to reach even papa's secretly rebellious heart and are probably part of the reason i'm a 30-year old woman with purple hair in a wacky punk house now, and he thinks it's great.
Posted by erin on August 4, 2011 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 33
Sonics could use more votes. C'mon, people! (Also: the Saints.)
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on August 4, 2011 at 1:59 PM · Report this
Not the best but... you LEFT OUT THE CRAMPS!!!
Posted by Bean on August 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM · Report this
LQ 35
Voted Stooges, but my favorite is probably Sleater-Kinney -- that could be due to nostalgia.
Posted by LQ on August 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM · Report this
lindsey 36
@29 except punk didn't start until the mid-70's.

(and now I commence waiting for some older-holier-and-punker-than-thou fliptard to respond that I "DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PUNX DAMN YOUNG'UN")
Posted by lindsey on August 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM · Report this
julie russell 37
@35. Great band, but more Riot Grrrl than punk, no?
Posted by julie russell http:// on August 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM · Report this
pagans
Posted by honcho on August 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM · Report this
@16, 21, 32: Way to put words in my mouth. I never said anything to even imply that they weren't punk. Debating what is and isn't punk is stupid.

"But, that's why I also made some suggestions as to other equally appropriate bands, recognizing that the obvious choices (which admittedly these are), aren't necessarily the most representative ones."

^This is closer to the point I was trying to make.
Posted by tired and true on August 4, 2011 at 4:11 PM · Report this
LEE. 40
I'll second the props to you for including the Screamers.
Posted by LEE. on August 4, 2011 at 5:34 PM · Report this
yesterday it was The Drones, today it's The Carpettes, and I'm waiting for my Raxola LP in the mail, so hopefully that will be the best band tomorrow.
Posted by BrianMyFatAss http://www.myspace.com/brianfoss on August 4, 2011 at 6:38 PM · Report this
biffp 42
Butthole Surfers and Nomeansno playing Bumbershoot. DOA and SNFU were both definitely better than the Sonics.
Posted by biffp on August 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM · Report this
nipper 43
@36 Um. Nice try...mid-70s my ass, ALL of '60s punk notwithstanding the Stooges S/T was released 1969, and the MC5's first LP 1968.
Posted by nipper on August 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM · Report this
LQ 44
@37 I would consider a lot of Riot Grrrl bands to be punk -- some are more solidly rock, but SK definitely has punk elements.
Posted by LQ on August 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM · Report this
In2ishn 45
Too many great bands to pick only one. Kinda surprised no one has shown Fugazi any love. Until now
Posted by In2ishn on August 5, 2011 at 7:39 AM · Report this
julie russell 46
Again...a classification issue for me. Love Fugazi, but they fall into a different category for me...and thinking GREATEST punk bands, I tend to think earlier/influential bands
Posted by julie russell http:// on August 5, 2011 at 11:07 AM · Report this