Line Out Music & the City at Night

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Best of Mis-sung Lyrics, Pet Edition

Posted by on Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 2:10 PM

One of my roommates is a tricolor Abyssinian guinea pig. We spend a lot of time making up songs about her, to the tunes of other songs. Her name is Stella, but it's also acceptable to call her G. Pig, Peeg or Guin (which we pronounce, "geen").

I'd say the #1 staple song is sung to the tune of "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang" by Dr. Dre, which is altered into "Ain't Nuthin' but a 'G' Pig" and includes lines such as, "carrots and lettuce are the things they feed me."

Lets talk about pets, baby.
  • "Let's talk about pets, baby."

When guinea pigs are hungry, they make a whooping sound. That's what the sound is mostly called, but it usually sounds like a backward water drip, unless it's very excited, in which case it gets high pitched. The term 'whooping' is often included into the songs, such as "Stella Guin Is a Whoop Pig" sung to the tune of "Bo Diddley Is a Gunslinger." That one sometimes includes the line, "I got a story that I really wanna tell, about Stella Guin at the whooping corral." I guess this is to illustrate that the guinea pig's whoops is substituted into "wild" western culture, kind of like Back to the Future Part 3, but not really.

Other random lines (you can figure the songs):
"Sexy G Pig, what have you done, you make a whoop for everyone." (It's totally not appropriate to refer to a guinea pig as "sexy")

"She's the one who likes all the lettuces and she likes to eat the hay and she likes to eat peppers, and she is the sweetest guin, is the sweetest guin, is the sweetest guin, whoop whoop."

"AND I-EEE-IIIIIIII, WILL ALWAYS LOVE GUINSSSS-EEEEE-IIIIIIII."

You simply must have songs that you sing about your pets, right?

PS. I saw The Descendants movie with George Clooney last night. It was a total snoozer!

Comments (19) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
alithea 1
my roommate frequently sings this to our cat, stella:

This hand is your hand
This hand is my hand
It needs to pet me
And meet my demands.
From my little whiskers
To my big round be-e-lly:
This hand was made for petting me.

:( we are pretty cool.
Posted by alithea on December 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 2
I named my cat after the Kinks song about the cross-dresser, so you can guess what I sing...
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on December 12, 2011 at 3:38 PM · Report this
Kathy Fennessy 3
(I liked The Descendants.)
Posted by Kathy Fennessy http://kathleencfennessy.blogspot.com/ on December 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM · Report this
I think we probably sing 2-3 new songs to/about our cats every week, and I've never even really thought about it before.
Posted by Avtar on December 12, 2011 at 4:07 PM · Report this
NaFun 5
When I want the dog to get off the bed I sing "Get down, girl, go 'head get down" ala Kanye's Gold Digger, as sampled by Girl Talk, and we taught her to put her paws up when we sing All The Single Doggies.

Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on December 12, 2011 at 4:35 PM · Report this
I make them want it
I like to tease them
they want to eat it
I never let them

I know what dogs like
I know what dogs want
I know what dogs like
Dogs like, dogs like meat
Posted by waitresses on December 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM · Report this
derek_erdman 7
Oh, I totally forgot:

"Takin' care of G Pigs, every day; takin' care of G Pigs, give 'em hay."
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on December 12, 2011 at 5:02 PM · Report this
Mine's about puppies to the tune of "Ms. New Booty." I'm actually pretty proud of the lyrics.
Posted by Primagianna on December 12, 2011 at 5:37 PM · Report this
Dougsf 9
I'd be lying if I said a version of Don Henley's "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" that incorporates lyrics on the high cost of prescription pet food hadn't been in rotation. It's way out of my register, and was put a stop too.
Posted by Dougsf on December 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM · Report this
I didn't know other people did this!!!! My favorite is our parody of Pink Floyd's "The Wall," which highlights our collie's obsession with the squirrels... "We don't need no little Star girl. We don't need no squirrel control. No barking-spasms in the sun room. Star girl leave those squirrels alone. Hey! Star girl. Leave those squirrels alone..."
Posted by Jamie in Pittsburgh http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/strawberry.limonade?ref=name on December 12, 2011 at 6:27 PM · Report this
seandr 11
I wrote an original composition about my dog. It's called "The Trixie Song".

Everyone who's heard it (namely, my wife and kids) loves it.
Posted by seandr on December 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM · Report this
lilmonster206 12
My roomie and I Rock box this one about our cats:

What would you do if your cat was at home
Meowing all alone on the kitchen floor
Cuz he's hungry
And you forgot to feed him and he's
all alone and he's really really hungry
And you're gone at work
He's alone now
He's smoking nip now
He needs you right meow.

So for you this is just a good time
But for cats this is what they call life.
Meow, meow.
Posted by lilmonster206 on December 12, 2011 at 8:00 PM · Report this
KingofQueenAnne 13
We do "Cat Romance" by Lady Gaga.
Posted by KingofQueenAnne http://blingeejesus.blogspot.com on December 12, 2011 at 8:13 PM · Report this
Led Zeppelin's "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" is about Robert Plant's dog, Strider- " Tell your friends all around the world, . Ain't no companion like a blue eyed merle."
Posted by Jamie in Pittsburgh http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/strawberry.limonade?ref=name on December 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM · Report this
Stabs 15
I have a Dog named Gary, pretty much every song with the word "Baby" in it gets changed to Gary. Such as Kiss' "I was made for loving you Gary, you were made for loving me", another classic is "Sweet Gary Pie" One of my all time favorites though, is the lyrics we changed from the Apple bottom Jeans song

"Gary doesn't wear pants and he's got lots of furrr" "He licks the floor, his legs are short, Gary's low low low low low low low low"
Posted by Stabs on December 12, 2011 at 9:59 PM · Report this
andypixel 16
The songs about Ping are all originals, and they invariably involve her going to the store, which is apparently her favorite hobby. But Ping is a thirteen-year-old basenji/pit bull mix, and she is almost completely deaf. There's no way she could handle a trip to the store on her own. :(
Posted by andypixel on December 12, 2011 at 10:29 PM · Report this
Um, I really need to thank the Stranger for this reporting on a vital part of basically every one of our days. I wish I could remember all the song lyrics we have changed to make them about our doggies Tater and Filbert. Favorite recent re-imaging: "Tater's Got a Gun". What did his daddy do, indeed.
Posted by justalittlebittybaby on December 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM · Report this
Knat 18
Did George actually fall asleep during the screening? Did you put Milk Duds up his nose while he slept?
Posted by Knat on December 13, 2011 at 1:44 AM · Report this
easternstar 19
I sing to my lovely feline friend:

"I kissed a cat and I liked it,
The taste of his chicken cat food,
I kissed a cat just to try it,
Hope it don't put my boyfriend in a bad mood..."
Posted by easternstar on December 13, 2011 at 10:04 AM · Report this