Line Out Music & the City at Night

Friday, December 16, 2011

Real or Fake: Rapper Freddie Gibbs Gets to Keep His Weed?!

Posted by on Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Would TSA inspectors really let him keep his stash?! Is he the luckiest traveling musician in the world?

note.jpg

Comments (18) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
Josh Bis 1
cute but fake.
Posted by Josh Bis http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Author.html?oid=3815563 on December 16, 2011 at 1:09 PM · Report this
Got stopped by TSA a few years ago flying to Santa Fe. My cute (blonde from Oklahoma) friend had her little stash in her makeup bag with pipe, the agent removed it, said "Cute, where did you get it?" and put it back in and zipped it up. CRAZY!!!! SO I say REAL. It happens...wouldn't happen that way for me...but some people.
Posted by Starlena79 on December 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM · Report this
Could be real. That "c'mon son" is kind of a rap meme that Ed Lover started (Google it, he even has a web series), maybe the TSA agent who supposedly searched the bag is a hiphop fan?
Posted by Mike Ramos on December 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM · Report this
blip 4
Depends where he was flying from. If he was in a state with legal/medical they're not going to touch it. Except maybe to steal it.
Posted by blip on December 16, 2011 at 3:02 PM · Report this
Fnarf 5
@4, TSA is federal, they don't give a shit about state "medical" laws. It's straight-up illegal to the feds. I guarantee this is currently being investigated and if true someone will get fired.

I'm guessing most of the weed that gets seen by TSA gets pocketed.

Didn't the agent who left the creepy note on the notification to the woman with the vibrator get fired? Or just "disciplined", i.e., a smirk?
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 16, 2011 at 4:04 PM · Report this
seandr 6
This is totally plausible. The feds are de-emphasizing marijuana enforcement. See, for example, the DEA explicitly laying off legit medical marijuana dispensaries in Seattle.

A few years ago at the Oaktown airport, I kept setting off the metal detector, until I finally realized I had a pipe in some obscure pocket of my cargo shorts.

I tried to throw it away, but the TSA guy told me to give it to him. He put it in one of those little bowls, ran it through the scanner, and gave it back with a big smile.
Posted by seandr on December 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM · Report this
Westlake, son! 7
I was curious about this so I googled it one night not long ago. If the TSA agent is in a state where weed is illegal, they might call the local cops on you. But if it's in a legal state, hey, it's your medication. They probably won't steal medication. And they won't bother to call your destination's police department to say you're entering with marijuana.
Posted by Westlake, son! on December 16, 2011 at 4:06 PM · Report this
Fnarf 8
@7, I stand corrected. I'm surprised. TSA being reasonable sets off alarm buzzers.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 16, 2011 at 4:15 PM · Report this
blip 9
I know for a fact that TSA in Cali will not touch your weed. I assume this extends to other medical states as well.
Posted by blip on December 16, 2011 at 4:30 PM · Report this
Fnarf 10
@9, you're right, I'm wrong, I'm sorry.
Posted by Fnarf http://www.facebook.com/fnarf on December 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM · Report this
NaFun 11
I flew to SFO a few years ago, shoved my onehitter and a dimebag deep in my checked bag. Got to the hostel and opened my bag to find one of these TSA notes and my weed and pipe right under it.

VERDICT: True.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on December 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM · Report this
NaFun 12
TSA tend to refer drug stuff to local law enforcement, usually the sheriff with jurisdiction over the airport. Around here they know we don't care about weed, and it's not a bomb, so they let it through. I'm assuming that if he'd had pounds (ie enough to make it a Federal crime) it'd be a different story.
Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on December 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM · Report this
so the f*ck what.
Posted by redred on December 16, 2011 at 5:07 PM · Report this
Can't you boys go anywhere without your weed? Sweet jesus.
Posted by jt on December 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM · Report this
Eastpike 15
I've also heard similar and believable stories. From what I understand, the weed is not a liquid, therefore can't be used to take down a jet.
Posted by Eastpike on December 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM · Report this
thene 16
I'm not inclined to risk it - my SIL's boyfriend went to prison for 8 months after being caught with weed at the airport. (ATL, for your records.)
Posted by thene http://thene.dreamwidth.org on December 17, 2011 at 7:23 AM · Report this
TSA is about air traffic safety/anti-boogie man terrorism - not local/federal law enforcement of laws. To remove remove or tip off local airport/city police to the matter of your having something other than bombs, un-declared weapons, explosives, etc on a domestic flight would be illegal search and seizure I think. That said, we basically have no rights anymore, and if any arm of the federal law wants to, they can now just claim you're a terrorists, and lock you up in your own country indefinitely without a hearing/trial. If things continue this way, in a few years if you so even fart in the wrong direction, or do anything outside of what our corporatocracy deems normal, you will be removed from society.
Posted by PapaKipChee on December 17, 2011 at 8:50 AM · Report this
Larry Mizell, Jr. 18
real. a friend told me about this happening to him like a week before this
Posted by Larry Mizell, Jr. on December 18, 2011 at 5:05 PM · Report this