Line Out Music & the City at Night

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Virgin Steele - "Perfect Mansions"

Posted by on Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I just watched all nine minutes of this thing. If you've also watched all nine minutes of this thing, it is mandatory that you leave your thoughts in the comments. Apparently these dudes have been a band for 30 years (props for sticking it out as long as I've been alive!) and the music really isn't that bad if you're into over-the-top histrionic power metal (admittedly not my bag), but this video, oh man. This video, dude. Whoa.

Some quick thoughts:

Obviously, the singer is the star of the show, but check that guitar player out. He is just so stoked to be there, and dig how his hair is just long enough for rock and roll, but reasonable enough to fit in at some middle-management job.

Singer dude almost rips his jacket open (but thinks better of it) not once, not two, actually I stopped counting after the fourth time.

Dude! Don't wave that fire around inside! You're going to burn your living room down!

Cross wipe! Video Toaster is my jam!

My girlfriend thinks these dudes might be the next Complete. I can see where she's coming from, but I think there's not enough crystal meth involved in Virgin Steele's regimen for them to really get to the same place. I'm thinking that the fresh blood of virgins is these bros' drug of choice. Is it possible they could be the next Anvil?

ht: Ian Miller

Comments (16) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
In a quick unscientific poll I conducted, it seems that the consensus is that the running/sliding/falling down the sand dune in the last 3rd of the video is the best part.
Posted by teenarcher on January 12, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
biffp 2
Is that Green Lake in the background?
Posted by biffp on January 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM · Report this
J. Burns 3
THATS NOT GREEN LAKE THATS ROOSEVELT ASS HOLE.
Posted by J. Burns on January 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM · Report this
nicholaus 4
They can't be the next Anvil, because Anvil actually was influential in their beginnings. They just missed the wave of 80's metal that included Megadeath, Metallica, and Anthrax.

Still, I always like to see people who love what they do, so I don't want to come across as being a hater.
Posted by nicholaus on January 12, 2012 at 5:12 PM · Report this
dwightmoodyforgetsthings 5
@3- I laughed. Thanks.
Posted by dwightmoodyforgetsthings http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceclop on January 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM · Report this
bedipped 6
They're the next Dinosaur Jr.
Posted by bedipped on January 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
J. Burns 7
@4: if their Wiki page (it's on the intarwebz, it must be true!) is to be believed, VS were influential to Metallica and Queensryche.

As lulzy as this is, I can't hate it either. It makes me happy even though I'm having a larf, which I guess puts them more into the Complete category.

Really they're just like my bands and my friends' bands, even if they are slightly less self-aware and are working in a much different idiom.
Posted by J. Burns on January 12, 2012 at 5:19 PM · Report this
biffp 8
I think they were influenced by LCD Soundsystem. Those guys were incredibly influential in their 30 months as a band.
Posted by biffp on January 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM · Report this
brian 9
I'm not gonna hate but WTF Long Island? Burning sword? Check. Wood paneling in your North Merrick living room? Check. Filming at the Guggenheim mansion at Sand Point Reserve? Check.You couldn't cliche any harder unless you could convince your wife to straddle two Jaguars. This is why you can't have nice things in Nassau County.

But the purple vest at 4:30... Totally took me by surprise!
Posted by brian on January 12, 2012 at 6:25 PM · Report this
I have such a fine line between what I like and don't like with this kind of music... don't really dig these guys, but I'll be a fan of Manowar til I die.
Posted by Chester Copperpot on January 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM · Report this
"That guitar player" REALLY REALLY wants to be Tony Iommi in this video (Iommi certainly doesn't mug it up that much - but the black leather trench coat and black SG are spot on). They weren't that great back in the day (I rated these guys about one step above the Rods, which is to say not particularly highly. Hell, I even liked Exciter more. WTF was I thinking with that. But I digress..), and while they're technically competent enough the video reminded me that these guys were about that silly back then, too.

But there's a big market that's developed over the last few years in Europe (and other places) for any 80's metal band that managed to get an album reviewed in Metal Forces or Kerrang, and I bet there are a lot of unreconstructed D & D nerd rock types who will eat this stuff up with a fork and spoon.

Their Wiki also says they usually do strange things with a flaming sword on stage, too. Make of that what you will.

Posted by Mr. X on January 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM · Report this
Machete 12
Yes! Punch the sky dude! Punch it!!
Posted by Machete on January 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM · Report this
Keekee 13
Lawn-guy-land represent!

Bet these guys have opened up for Blue Oyster Cult.
Posted by Keekee on January 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM · Report this
Tommy Wisseau has a band? Seriously, the funniest thing from this horrible nine minutes were the two cars you can see in the background of one shot, passing through. When the band is all together in front of some brush, every once in a while a car on a highway is visible in the background, revealing that they're not in some far off land but on the side of the road somewhere.
Posted by Theoretical http://leftthought.blogspot.com on January 13, 2012 at 9:16 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 15
it was prolly cute , like, 30 centuries ago ( or however long these guys have played together) but the double entendre of 'virgin steele' is way way WAY creepy.
that said.. i might would let bass hair guitar guy have some.. like after 8am yoga or something
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on January 13, 2012 at 9:33 AM · Report this
NaFun 16
\mm/ (too much metal for just one hand)

Posted by NaFun http://www.dancesafe.org on January 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM · Report this