Line Out Music & the City at Night

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Jay-Z's Daughter Is a Big Booty Bitch and a Hoe

Posted by on Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Now you know. You reap what you sow. Dr. Boyce Watkins tells it like it is:

After building a multi-million dollar empire on the back of female degradation, Jay-Z has decided to soften up after giving birth to a little girl. The births of millions of other precious little black girls apparently meant nothing to Jay-Z, as he’s never had a problem letting us know that he has “99 problems, but a b*tch ain’t one.” So, all the other children NOT named Blue Ivy Carter weren’t even in the top 100 on Jay-Z’s distorted, dysfunctional priority list – but now he’s suddenly found religion.

You can’t spend two decades referring to other men’s daughters as b*tches and hoes, and then somehow decide that your own daughter is going to be exempt from the game. You, my brother, have given nearly every inch of your creative productivity toward murdering your daughter’s self and public image before she was even born. In other words, you brought Blue Ivy Carter into a world where most of your biggest fans will look at her and refer to her not as daddy’s little princess, but instead as a big booty b*tch. In fact, they will even get paid for it.

Jay-Z trying to ban the word b*tch after giving birth to a girl is like a mass murderer asking other killers to be nice to his relatives. His music has helped to infect the world with the virus of misogyny, and now he wants to act like the Center for Disease Control. He’s like the homophobic pastor who leads anti-gay lynch mobs and later finds out that his own son is gay.

This is real, dawg. Words do hurt people. A bitch is always someone's daughter.

U.N.I.T.Y? This was the hiphop you helped to destroy. The damage is done. Live with what you've done and enjoy your millions with your bitches.

Comments (30) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
That was the dishonest, misdirected, uninformed article I have every read!
You must be thinking of 2 Short!
But whatever, you can always turn it off :)

Biatch!
Posted by Sugarshaft on January 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM · Report this
So he shouldn't stop using the word "bitch," then? That would be better?
Posted by Monty on January 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM · Report this
blip 3
I've never been a fan but I'm pretty sure he's literally referring to a female dog in "99 Problems." Still, it's funny how it's never concerned him before even though he has plenty of other women in his life. Better late than never I guess.
Posted by blip on January 15, 2012 at 10:39 AM · Report this
Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In 4
Great. Hip Hop has matured from the toddler-stage to the small child phase. Congrats.
Posted by Some Old Nobodaddy Logged In on January 15, 2012 at 10:46 AM · Report this
ballard dude 5
Gee Charles. It's like you've never had kids, and found that your views and life changed. I sometimes find it amazing that you can be so self-unaware. So Jay-Z changed after the birth of his daughter... don't act so surprised. Jeez.
Posted by ballard dude on January 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM · Report this
@2: Jay-Z no longer saying "bitch" doesn't even begin to undo the misogyny he helped spread while making his millions. It's not a solution, and the problem is not the word. It's his prior use of it. Also I'm 100% certain he won't keep to this promise regardless.

@3: I hope that was just a bad use of sarcasm, because if you really think "99 Problems" is referring to a female dog you're an idiot.

The song was originally written by Ice T, by the by.
Posted by Dave M on January 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM · Report this
biffp 7
@6 makes a good point. If he devoted the continuing royalties from his prior use to a women's group, then I think he's made some progress. Agree with @5 about your lack of self-awareness. It's surprising how long it takes you come to these realizations.
Posted by biffp on January 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM · Report this
@6: I don't think you quite answered my question. Would it be better if he kept saying bitch? Is that what you would prefer?
Posted by Monty on January 15, 2012 at 12:20 PM · Report this
"Jay-Z trying to ban the word b*tch after giving birth to a girl is like a mass murderer asking other killers to be nice to his relatives" - No, it's not at all. An appropriate (if ridiculously exaggerated) analogy would be, "It's like a murderer recognizing that killing is wrong, saying that he'll stop killing and asking other murderers to not kill either."
I don't remember anything but accolades for the Beastie Boys when they announced they'd stop singing "Girls" after realizing how sexist it is.
People frequently make bad decisions. Less frequently, they try to atone later in life. It's cause for praise, not scorn.
Posted by cornflake on January 15, 2012 at 12:24 PM · Report this
I don't believe that the misogyny in hiphop has murdered his daughter's self, anymore than it has murdered me. My self isn't determined by the state of hiphop, but by me alone. Same goes for everyone else.
Posted by Amanda on January 15, 2012 at 12:46 PM · Report this
blip 11
@6 Jay-Z's "99 Problems" is about an incident where he was pulled over by the police with a bunch of cocaine in his car. The cop didn't have a drug dog with him so he let Jay-Z go without searching his car. He 'borrowed' the chorus and title from Ice-T but it's not the same song.

I may be an idiot but at least I know what the fuck I'm talking about.
Posted by blip on January 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM · Report this
JensR 12
I like Jay-Z in that "northern euro who has absolutely zero connection to the lyrics" - kind of way. But Charles does have a point. Jay-z can take some shit thrown his way because he is someone who actually made a business out of it and to suddenly just turn around and scream foul is kinda ridicolous. No ones saying he should start saying Bitch. No ones saying that people dont change when they get kids or that its not a good thing of him to do... But he's a grown man who should be able to take the shit flung at him because of his own actions (I have no idea why we're talking about this, its not like he will read any of this anyway... :) )

(also: if nothing else he can always hug his many millions of dollars if he feels low due what has been said)

@10 No wo/man is an island.
Posted by JensR http://ohyran.se on January 15, 2012 at 1:12 PM · Report this
@11
wrong

Listen to the whole song. I also recommend Big Pimpin.
Posted by fugatone on January 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM · Report this
I'm reminded of men who argue that "stripper" is a completely acceptable occupation for a woman...until it's their daughter who wants to take it up.
Posted by tiktok on January 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM · Report this
God wanted him to be plentiful and multiply and now he's listening more to God. It's beautiful to see a man get grown and there is a place for his family in heaven I'm sure. God bless.
Posted by redeemd on January 15, 2012 at 2:47 PM · Report this
2, The author is saying he should stop, but not get all sanctimonious if others use it to describe his daughter because he took part in perpetuating it.
Posted by nifty on January 15, 2012 at 4:16 PM · Report this
gunmmoontree 17
Well put, sir. I completely agree with your sentiment.
Posted by gunmmoontree on January 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM · Report this
gunmmoontree 18
Another thought: perhaps if his declaration had been accompanied by an apology to all the women he called bitches prior to the birth of his own little girl would've made it more palatable.
My only hope (however utopian it may be) is that this sparks a revolution in the general hip-hop vernacular. He's (Mister Z) has gotta come out against this hate-speech with more gusto, & be an outspoken & fierce advocate for the now-understood error of his ways.
Posted by gunmmoontree on January 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM · Report this
schmacky 19
"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes."
Posted by schmacky on January 15, 2012 at 7:33 PM · Report this
Chris Rock said a dad's only job was to keep his daughter off the pole. I'm sure Jay-Z now shares that sentiment. It doesn't really excuse how he made his money.
Posted by westello on January 15, 2012 at 7:42 PM · Report this
I think you're missing the point here, people. Jay-Z _gave birth_. It's a medical miracle!
Posted by Ze G on January 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM · Report this
Great song
Posted by _db_ on January 16, 2012 at 12:15 AM · Report this
terrence 23
i wonder how much all these commentors actually listen to jay-z, im far from a super fan, i have a few of his albums and i enjoy them (blueprint + blueprint 3), and i can only speak for his work in the last decade but he doesnt spend all his time rapping about "bitches and hoes" like the author and several people here would like us to believe.

im sure he has his share of hit singles with misogyny at the center stage, but as far as hip hop performers go, he is on the good end of the spectrum.
Posted by terrence on January 16, 2012 at 6:47 AM · Report this
@13, no, you're wrong. 11 is right. Jay-Z talks about the lyrics to 99 Problems in his book, and he also talked about them on Oprah. If you're going to tell someone they're "wrong", don't just tell them to listen to the song, do the research. Hell, It's even in wiki.

"While the song's meaning is widely debated, the chorus "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one" was defined in Jay-Z's book, Decoded. Jay-Z wrote that in 1994 he was pulled over by police while carrying cocaine in a secret compartment in his sun roof. Jay-Z refused to let the police search the car and the police called for the drug sniffing dogs. However the dogs never showed and the police had to let Jay-Z go. Moments after he drove away he writes that he saw the police car with the dogs drive by."
Posted by Leens on January 16, 2012 at 9:55 AM · Report this
@24

Fine

Urban artist makes millions rapping about female dogs and garden tools.
Posted by fugatone on January 16, 2012 at 10:08 AM · Report this
chimsquared 26
"You can’t spend two decades referring to other men’s daughters as b*tches and hoes, and then somehow decide that your own daughter is going to be exempt from the game."

really, you can't? take a walk around anywhere in seattle. nothing else matters aside from your own precious snowflake. not other children and certainly not other people. z is a man of his time, just like the dithering double stroller pushers clogging up everywhere.
Posted by chimsquared on January 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM · Report this
warreno 27
@19: Jay-Z ≠ Walt Whitman.
Posted by warreno http://www.nightwares.com on January 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM · Report this
biffp 28
@24 if that's what he intended, then it doesn't matter what the millions of men who heard thought it was an anthem to.
Posted by biffp on January 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM · Report this
Glad that Dr. Watkins posted this. Glad Mudede posted this video. QUEEN! Glad Jay Z is rethinking some things. For real.
Posted by itsneverthateasy on January 18, 2012 at 3:48 PM · Report this
Bitches and hoes are bitches and hoes. My daughters are beautiful young women. I dont even associate the two. Why do we put so much thought into what Jay-z thinks? BTW 99 problems is about a damn dog.
Posted by gg123 on December 10, 2012 at 11:15 PM · Report this