Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

"What are you listening to these days?"

Posted by on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I hate this question not because I don't want to be asked, but because I can never answer it. For some reason, my brain just locks up (this happens more than I care to admit), and I have to take a minute until I can think of something. This also happens when I walk into a record store. Nine times out of 10, I'll forget what I went in for unless it's written down. This is just the way my brain works, and yes, I've been diagnosed with major ADD, so fuck you! Anyway, this is what I can't stop listening to today:

Ceremony: "Hysteria"

The whole album is polling me out of a recent funk. Just listen to it! It keeps reminding me of the Buzzcocks.I do not know why. Ceremony's Zoo, drops March 6, and they play at the Vera Project Saturday, April 7.

Comments (14) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
taffy dale 1
I've been listening to alotta Big Baby Gandhi lately to help cope w/the rampant, underlying, deep-seated racial tension that infects this city/state/country/world. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz-UIv7V7…
Posted by taffy dale http://taffydale.com on February 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 2
Can't wait for that new Ceremony LP. Amazing band.

Lots of play from me lately: Nacho Picasso, Waka Flocka, Total Control, Sandrider, A$AP Rocky, DtttC!, Björk, Kim Phuc, just got that new Xiu Xiu and listened to it a couple times, aaaaaand late pass me to the Intelligence. Always liked other things I heard Lars play on but it took him finally joining Thee Oh Sees (and reading the tour diaries) for me to make the effort to hear his band. Awesome.

I usually draw a blank when people ask me this in person too, luckily I had my handy last.fm page to tell me what I've been listening to.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on February 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 3
Cosign on all of the above.
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on February 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM · Report this
alithea 4
it was pretty cool when the singer of ceremony was a jerk to a bunch of girls and then when he was called out on it, said "suck my dick".

i am listening to sharon van etten and kate crutchfield from ps eliot's solo stuff and the new m. ward.
Posted by alithea on February 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM · Report this
how can you be expected to remember your current favorite music? you're only a music writer. it's only your livelihood.
Posted by legacy builder on February 7, 2012 at 5:10 PM · Report this
Grant Brissey, Emeritus 6
Hi legacy builder. Thanks for reading!
Posted by Grant Brissey, Emeritus http://www.grantropolis.com/ on February 7, 2012 at 5:13 PM · Report this
i was just hoping for more pics of U2 and Lenny Kravitz.
Posted by legacy builder on February 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM · Report this
Summerisle 8
Karen Dalton -1966
Massive Attack- Mezzanine
The Clean_ Anthology
Genesis- Nursery Crime
Thai Funk Volume 1

I am just going back to a few favorites and loving some recent reissues.
Posted by Summerisle http://www.facebook.com/biggieJ?ref=name on February 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM · Report this
LEE. 9
That new Walls LP (the Seattle band) is pretty phenomenal. I've been listening to Parade Ground a lot too. They put out a singles collection reissue that has some pretty sweet EBM going on. Finally, and I know it's been out for a bit, but that Soul Swallower record is fucking crushing.

As far as older stuff, I've been on a big Suede and PJ Harvey kick.
Posted by LEE. on February 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM · Report this
@2 yeah kim phuc's demo is pretty rad. also been listening to eps/demos from wild moth and d. vassalotti, and all that old assfactor 4 shit
Posted by pioneer on February 8, 2012 at 3:27 AM · Report this
Estey 11
I honestly think there needs to be a specific word invented for when you go to a record store and immediately forget all the music you've been storing in your mind as needing to be picked up. In honor of early glam-punks The Sweet, I'm going with Wigwambamnesia.
Posted by Estey on February 8, 2012 at 6:00 AM · Report this
yos-wa 12
witch hat - brown in a dog
wormsblood - black and white art for man and beast
dreamdecay - fern
electric wizard - dopethrone
iceage - new brigade
shoppers - silver year
siamese queens - demo
Posted by yos-wa on February 8, 2012 at 9:57 AM · Report this
bunnypuncher 13
@LEE - Thanks for reminding me I need that new Walls, haven't heard anything from it yet.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on February 8, 2012 at 9:58 AM · Report this
LEE. 14
^ I think theres a music video for one of the songs off the new album?
Posted by LEE. on February 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this