Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Why Do So Many People Have A Seemingly Irrational Hatred Of Madonna?

Posted by on Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Madonna - 'MDNA'

Okay, we're no over-the-top fan of the woman, and we're fairly content to casually follow each album campaign of hers that comes along, but we've noticed lately that many people of all ages have a seemingly irrational hatred for her.

Can someone please explain this?

Is it because Madonna's aged better than most humans, laid the enduring foundation for nearly every contemporary female mega-star, or that she has cherry-picked unexpected producers throughout her career—Chic, Stuart Price, Martin Solveig, William Orbit, Mirwais, and Nellee Hooper—or that she's gradually become more wired into European pop-culture than American, or occasionally writes songs with lines like "I drive my Mini Cooper/And I'm feeling super-dooper"? Maybe it's just because her name isn't Adele.

Surely there are people out there more deserving of hatred.

Either way, have a clip to hop on the hatewagon.

Comments (9) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
LEE. 1
I don't get it either, but then I think most people are assholes.

A lot of people probably think she A) just wore out her welcome, or B) walked over a lot of people to get where she is now. They might be right, but somebody had to.
Posted by LEE. on February 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM · Report this
care bear 2
Everybody I know who wrote about Madonna's Super Bowl on Facebook or Twitter said something along the lines of, "Everybody's hating on Madonna but I love her blah blah blah". I haven't actually read anything negative about her. Where are these haters everybody keeps talking about?
Posted by care bear on February 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM · Report this
derek_erdman 3
I HATE HER SO MUCH.
Posted by derek_erdman http://www.derekerdman.com on February 7, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
blip 4
Her die-hard fans do have a weird persecution complex when it comes to Madonna's waning relevance but I think maybe they're confusing indifference with hatred. I know a lot of people who love her and a bunch who stopped caring a long time ago. I don't think the kids even know who she is.
Posted by blip on February 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM · Report this
Well, the writers on the app "The Daily" hated her playing the Super Bowl because she's "an old hag," despite the fact that you have to be an old hag to get a gig at the Super Bowl. They were blatantly misogynistic in their hatred.

She is really pretentious in interviews, but she's freaking Madonna, so whatever.
Posted by virginia mason on February 7, 2012 at 12:37 PM · Report this
bunnypuncher 6
I know plenty of people who hate her.

I will continue to love her unconditionally and ignore things like American Life.
Posted by bunnypuncher http://twitter.com/princess_wolfie on February 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM · Report this
I think this is obvious, makes me wonder if this is sarcasm or irony or something...Not trying to be a dick, this is just the way my brain works. Anyway, here goes:

Her music is terrible, she's a totally self involved pompous idiot and an undeservingly acclaimed hack. I know it's chic to like pop divas these days, but come on. It's pretty much the worst genre other than muzak and smooth jazz and is entirely without merit. I don't hate Motley Crue for forming a band to get laid any less than her on their respective merits... But I hate her more because people act like she's still relevant or had anything worth listening to since Like a Virgin, if that was even worth it.
Posted by asdfqwer on February 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM · Report this
yos-wa 8
@6 - you should really ignore anything after 90. Realistically, if it's not on the immaculate collection i probably could give a shit less.
Posted by yos-wa on February 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM · Report this
They are all jealous, sexist, ageist...but who gives a fuck? People have long hated Madonna...it's part of her fame. She will go on and continue to be hated, loved, loathed...but she will be remembered long after the Lady Gagas, Rihannas and Katy Perrys have faded away.
Posted by Rihana on June 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM · Report this