Line Out Music & the City at Night

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Controversy Moves Units: Chris Brown and Rihanna Reunited and the Money Feels So Good

Posted by on Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 8:34 AM

This unit-moving controversy has now escalated to dizzying heights. Chris Brown and Rihanna are collaborating on music again. Odd Future and Chris Brown + Rihanna is all anyone can talk about on the internet, and this blog post is making it worse. And as sick as you might get of hearing about this stuff, as someone pointed out somewhere, at least it's all at the forefront of debate now, which I feel like is a good thing, although I think a billion comments could be made on the internet and still everyone will just think what they already thought anyway. I'm just a hopeless fatalist though.

Comments (21) RSS

Oldest First Unregistered On Registered On Add a comment
First line of his verse:

"Girl, I wanna fuck you right now
Been a long time, I've been missing your body."

What a delusional fuckup.
Posted by Swearengen on February 21, 2012 at 9:23 AM · Report this
sasha 2
She was way better off working with Shy Ronnie. Now if only Chris brown would piss himself.
Posted by sasha on February 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM · Report this
reverend dr dj riz 3
..and their babies will be very very pretty..
Posted by reverend dr dj riz on February 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM · Report this
No woman EVER deserves to be punched by her boyfriend. But I'm starting to believe this girl has has suffered brain damage. That, or has such fucked up priorities that I've managed to lose most of my sympathy for her.
Posted by NateMan on February 21, 2012 at 10:49 AM · Report this
@3: Not without the teeth Brown knocks out their heads, they won't.
Posted by NateMan on February 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM · Report this
@4 have YOU been physically abused by your partner? your boyfriend? this shit is way more complicated than thinking she has "fucked up priorities" - our culture has fucked up expectations and standards for victims of domestic violence. and she's not a "girl" she's a WOMAN get it straight.
Posted by hydra on February 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 7
Other. I would like to jettison patriarchy, rape culture and abuse normalization into outer space.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on February 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM · Report this
Jackson Hathorn 8
I pledge to never mention Chris Brown in a morning news roundup ever again...but as a goodbye, here's a photo of Chris Brown being attacked by a seagull. http://static.nme.com/images/gallery/413…
Posted by Jackson Hathorn on February 21, 2012 at 12:08 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 9
@8: thank you for that.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on February 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM · Report this
blip 10
These two are the worst. At least their music is terrible so I don't have to feel conflicted about how much I fucking hate them.
Posted by blip on February 21, 2012 at 1:40 PM · Report this
Two words for her: Whitney Huston
Posted by kevin11 on February 21, 2012 at 1:42 PM · Report this
@6: Yeah, no, she's a girl. And he's a boy. He's 23, she's 24. That might be an adult as far as the law goes, but that's about it. And no, I've never been abused, but I work with those who have been. I repeat: fucked-up priorities. It doesn't matter if you want to blame society for her continued interaction with her abuser, or greed, or whatever. There's something messed up there.
Posted by NateMan on February 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM · Report this
icouldliveinhope 13
@12: I'm less concerned with stating there's something messed up here and more concerned with the lack of sympathy because something's messed up.
Posted by icouldliveinhope on February 21, 2012 at 2:18 PM · Report this
@13: I had a great deal of sympathy for her when the story first came out. Chris Brown is an abusive dipshit who needs 7 kinds of hell kicked out of him, and Rihanna deserved (and, I think, had) every opportunity to get away from him. The police got involved, most public opinion that wasn't coming from the mentally disturbed was on her side, and he frequently showed his true colors to the world at large. I've known women who got the crap kicked out of them who were without her wealth, security, or her public image and support and who were able to leave her abusers behind. It might not have been easy, but they managed it. I suspect this pairing now has more to do with stirring controversy and thereby making money than anything else, and that deeply limits my sympathy for her plight. And even if it's not that, even if it's some disturbed need for his attention or approval or that she subconsciously thinks this is what she deserves, then she at some point needs to take responsibility for her own actions and her own presence. Getting abused IS NOT HER FAULT in any way, shape, or form. But she got away. Putting herself at risk after that by CHOOSING to socialize with her abuser is her choice, and she is the only one responsible for that.
Posted by NateMan on February 22, 2012 at 6:09 AM · Report this
seatackled 15
Shorter #14: "If anything bad happens to the bitch now, she had it coming."
Posted by seatackled on February 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM · Report this
I had sympathy for her right up until she went back to him. Girl is an idiot.
Posted by suddenlyorcas on February 22, 2012 at 9:19 AM · Report this
@15: Right. Because if I don't agree with you and think women have power in their own lives, somehow I'm a misogynist. Pretty sure the only one who called her names is you. Careful: your simplemindedness is showing.
Posted by NateMan on February 22, 2012 at 10:18 AM · Report this
tabathalphabet 18
@7 - spot on.
Posted by tabathalphabet on February 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM · Report this
Baby Blue 19
Those of you who don't understand the cycle of abusive relationships are the stupid ones. I take that back, you're not stupid; just blissfully ignorant. Rihanna is a victim who will hopefully become a survivor once she's finally ready/able to break these chains. I just hope that happens before it is too late.
Posted by Baby Blue on February 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM · Report this
blip 20
This is not about their personal relationship -- that's assuming they even still have one with each other -- rather their (or their record labels') cynical use of controversy to promote their music with no consideration for the terrible message that goes along with it. In the absence of any public remorse on Brown's part at any point in the past 3 years, this collaboration is unconscionable.
Posted by blip on February 22, 2012 at 3:39 PM · Report this
buck futter 21
women love abusers. it's nothing new.
Posted by buck futter on February 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM · Report this